PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen Plane Question

Ray Newman
01-06-2019, 2:20 AM
Colleges: I was updating my tool inventory today. As like to include serial and model numbers, etc., in the inventory, I have a question 'bout my old tried and true Lie-Nielson skew block plane.

This plane is 30+ years old and appears to be the same as the current #140 Skew Block Plane except it does not have the knicker. Was this an earlier version of the current #140?

I could not find anything on the Lie-Nielsen web page or from a Google search. Thanks for any assistance.

Derek Cohen
01-06-2019, 3:53 AM
Hi Ray

I have a #140 from the first batch, dating to about 1985. They are slightly different, but not because of the knicker. The knicker came late, about 8 years ago it was added and available on a retro-fit. Just send it to LN. They will do this for you.

My #140 is very slightly longer than the current model, and came with a W1 steel blade (rather than A2).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ray Newman
01-06-2019, 1:02 PM
Derek: thanks for that information!

Stephen Rosenthal
01-06-2019, 5:32 PM
I have a newer #140 with nicker. In addition to what Derek noted, I believe the older 140s have an Allen screw holding the cap iron rather than a slotted screw.

Derek Cohen
01-06-2019, 7:41 PM
Stephen, that is so. Here is the photo of the #140 when I purchased it from eBay many years ago. I replaced the lever cap screw with a current version, as it was easier to use (as well as nicer to look at) ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRestorations/LNSkewRabbetBlockPlaneRestoration_html_m592b0b38.j pg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jeff Heath
01-08-2019, 12:51 PM
Years ago, I sent my 140 without a knicker to LN for retrofit, and they sent me back a new plane! Not saying they still do that, but their customer service is outstanding. On the rare occasion I've had an issue, they have always bent over backwards to solve it. As good as it gets, and I think Lee Valley is the same way.

lowell holmes
01-08-2019, 1:53 PM
I have one in my shop. I haven't used it lately, but I will go make some shavings so it will not feel neglected.