PDA

View Full Version : Toothed Blade

Jim Foster
01-05-2019, 9:11 PM
I'm planning on getting a toothed blade. I'm not sure what plane would be the best choice? I have a number of bench planes; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, (many are $15-$30 yard sale finds I tuned), but do not have a low angle Jack. Is there a "Best" choice I should consider for a toothed blade? My gut tells me a #5 or #6, but I had waffles & bacon for dinner :)

I work a lot with q-sawn oak that always seems to have reversing or difficult grain and I think a toothed blade would help getting a board in shape or ready for a smoother after glue-ups, etc...

Jim Koepke
01-06-2019, 1:05 AM
Just my 400471.

Which plane do you use now before the smoother?

Maybe a better question is how much area are you going to go over with a toothed blade? What plane would be best for an area of such size? A large area would be a #6 or #7. Spring for a #4-1/2 and then you will have all the sizes covered from smoother to jointer with one blade.

Never forget, 400472

jtk

Bob Leistner
01-06-2019, 6:05 AM
I always thought that toothed blades were more in the scraper plane domain. Don't they work better in a closer to 90 degree configuration?Maybe I will learn something here.

Stewie Simpson
01-06-2019, 7:29 AM
Jim; the following should suit your needs.

The 2in (50mm) Kunz toothed plane blade fits all makes of No.4 and 5 bench planes.

18 teeth per inch along the cutting edge.

Ideally they should be used with the mouth of the plane set wide and the cap iron set as far back as possible.

https://www.workshopheaven.com/kunz-2-inch-toothed-plane-iron.html

Jim Foster
01-06-2019, 9:12 AM
Stewie, Thank you for the advice. Ordered and on it's way soon...