PDA

View Full Version : Older 20 inch planer labeled Bridgeport - Any experience with this brand at all?

Andrew Weaver
01-05-2019, 8:48 PM
I buy auction tools, and search as I might, I can't find a thing on Bridgeport planers. The item I am considering bidding on looks to be at least 15 years old, but probably not more than 30-35, but that's a guess from one picture. I may try to make it to the auction preview the day before, but it's a good distance from me.

Anyone ever see a Bridgeport planer? Or even a similar tool? Says 20inch on the photo. I have done some searching and can't find references to this planer, barely any to the brand. This gives me pause.

So, any help on this one?

Dave Cav
01-05-2019, 9:04 PM
It's an older Asian import four post planer. The "Bridgeport" name was just slapped on by the importer to make it sound important. It's probably very similar to an early version of the Grizzly G0454.

Richard Wolf
01-05-2019, 9:26 PM
Bridgewood machinery was sold by Wilke Machinery in York Pa. many years ago and that machine is an exact copy of Grizzly's older 20" planer. Maybe someone read the nameplate wrong.

Andrew Weaver
01-05-2019, 9:49 PM
It's an older Asian import four post planer. The "Bridgeport" name was just slapped on by the importer to make it sound important. It's probably very similar to an early version of the Grizzly G0454.

Now when you say older, do you mean early 80s? I just went to a seminar at a show with Roalnd Johnson on buying old tools. My takeaway was the the import era I was going to avoid most would be early 80s Taiwan.

Would it be sensible to treat it like the grizzly model you mentioned in terms of researching quality and known problems?

Matt Day
01-05-2019, 10:31 PM
This is most likely a Bridgewood planer. Error by the auctioneer.

David Kumm
01-05-2019, 11:03 PM
Bridgewood did a good job with QC on their imported machines but this is an early version of the cheapest 20" planer made at that time. I'd not drive very far even if cheap as there is nothing special about that model, even from Bridgewood. Dave

Andrew Weaver
01-05-2019, 11:45 PM
Bridgewood did a good job with QC on their imported machines but this is an early version of the cheapest 20" planer made at that time. I'd not drive very far even if cheap as there is nothing special about that model, even from Bridgewood. Dave

Appreciate that all around. For me, it’s a matter of frugality. I have invested more than I ever thought I would in tools, but only by being a bargain hunter for the bigger things so I can actually have the major pieces. (For example I only spent 175 on a 14inch bandsaw but I now have over 300 in carter jigs and fences for that saw. Still a new 14 would be a grand without any accessories.) I certainly understand that it might not be anything special compared to a newer 20 inch at an appropriate price, but for me it is certainly a step up from my delta 12 inch lunchbox model. (Also an auction find.) My main concern is whether I’d end up with something that would break down before I used it much, or something I couldn’t get blades or parts for.

David Kumm
01-06-2019, 12:51 AM
I'm a used guy too but I'd take lots of other planers over this one. If close by, maybe 250-350 if running and looks good. Dave

Bill Dufour
01-06-2019, 12:53 AM
You will not buy parts for that machine but knives and bearing are common. the plastic switch box says late 90's or later to me. A 70's machine would have a metal box. I agree Grizzly or Jet parts would probably fit just fine.
I am no expert but I would think Gee Tech in Taiwan might be the maker. Taiwan is better on average then China.
Bil lD.

You might try Loma Tools in Washington I think they picked up sunhill / gee tech