PDA

View Full Version : Very Brief Book Review : The Overstory

Yonak Hawkins
01-04-2019, 9:08 PM
"The Overstory" is a novel which the root of its theme is trees. The author, Richard Powers, packs into his story many varied, diverse and sundry details, facts and revelations regarding all nature of trees and their existence from history to botany and beyond.

To be clear, this is a novel. It’s a story about people, their passions, their travails, their adversities and triumphs, and their relationships with trees, with each other and, possibly, with one facet of the political divide.

A quote from one of the characters near the end of the book : “What you make from a tree should be at least as miraculous as what was cut down.”

Frederick Skelly
01-04-2019, 9:36 PM
A quote from one of the characters near the end of the book : “What you make from a tree should be at least as miraculous as what was cut down.”

That sounds like something Krenov, or maybe Nakashima might have said.
Thanks for the tip!
Fred

John Goodin
01-05-2019, 4:25 PM
The quote you posted is something I will never achieve but this sounds like the rare novel I would enjoy. Where is it set? It doesn't really matter but I am partial to works set in the South. A hold over from time wandering in the mountains of North Georgia as a kid on vacation.

Yonak Hawkins
01-05-2019, 4:59 PM
John, the novel is set all across the US and over quite a long span of time, but mostly in the West. While he mentions southern plant-life, I can't think of any scenes that take place in the South.