PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Pulled

Vaughn McMillan
12-02-2005, 8:06 PM
As the result of lots of good feedback here on the Creek, I finally settled my "which bandsaw?" debate. I found a Shop Fox dealer who's relatively local (no shipping) who's selling me the 14" W1706 with a riser kit and mobile base for only a bit more than the almost-equivalent Grizzly G0555 package. The dealer doesn't have the saw in stock, but he happened to have ordered one earlier this week, and it should be in the first of next week (now with my name on it). Of course, I'm spending about twice what I'd originally planned to spend, but the combination of valid points from other Creekers -- and a little bit of unexpected income -- has prompted me to go ahead and buy more than I need now, in anticipation of needing and wanting the extra capabilities in the future. I will likely someday buy a bigger bandsaw, but I don't expect to have to ever replace this new one.

The Shop Fox has a few refinements over the Grizzly, and it simply made the most sense to me, all things considered. (It didn't hurt that yesterday someone purchased nearly all the cutting boards I had for sale...the extra cash comes at a great time.) As I said in another thread, the new 12" Craftsman bandsaw looks great, and is probably the most substantial piece of equipment I've ever seen for $300, and I'm sure it'd be a great saw for my needs now and for some time in the future. However, knowing I'm still expanding my skills, going with the extra HP and resaw depth (with the riser kit) provided the Griz/Shop Fox models seemed the most prudent decision.

Should be getting the saw sometime next week...gloat with pics will follow, of course. Until then I realize it's all only hearsay. :rolleyes: Many thanks to all the Creekers who offered suggestions and advice.

- Vaughn

Jerry Clark
12-02-2005, 8:35 PM
Great Vaughn-- nice to have good tools-- I am sure it will last a long time. Now get ready to make some more boxes. :)

Bill Fields
12-02-2005, 8:46 PM
Vaughn-

You did the right thing!

My comment about being saddled with tools that were bought for price compromise--a great albatross--should be engraved somewhere. I have my share of those tools.

BILL FIELDS

Norman Hitt
12-02-2005, 9:03 PM
Hey, a Big Congratulations on both the "Income Injection", AND finding the good deal on the Shop Fox. It should really do a nice job for you and your projects for a long while, and like you said, it should Still be a "Keeper" for the lighter/smaller work, when you do move up to a larger/heavier model. I plan to add a smaller saw such as that to compliment my larger saw at some point, (also, when the budget permits).

Corey Hallagan
12-02-2005, 9:05 PM
Hey nice saw Vaughn, congrats, that is definitely a step up from the benchtop!

Corey

David Duke
12-02-2005, 9:20 PM
Contrats on the new BS purchase, I am a firm believer in buying the best (not the most expensive) piece of equipment you can afford because in the long run you will wish you had.

John Miliunas
12-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Well, and a pre-gloat "Congrats" to you, Vaughn! Glad to hear you're looking at the expanded capacity for future use. That's using the old noggin'! :) We'll be patiently awaiting pics of the new prize!!!:cool:

John Bailey
12-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Vaughn,

Congratulations. Isn't it nice to have all the expertise here for suggestions?

John

Mark Singer
12-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Vaughn,
Sounds like you put in some thought and that should be a winner! Great gloat!

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Vaughn great gloat. You did good. Will be waiting to see pictures. Good thinking on having the capacity later on if you need it.

Tom Hamilton
12-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Congrats Vaughn on the new saw. Gloat Up!

But...there seems to be another story buried in your post: "someone bought all your cutting boards?"

After the previous discussion about their value and pricing I'm curious how the story ends! :confused:

Bestg regards, Tom

Don Baer
12-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Super Vaugh,
Glad you finaly got off the fence. I'd offer the use of my Pickup to help you get it but I'll be in Phoenix with me next week.

Andy Hoyt
12-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Yeah, well just wait til your tablesaw sees this thing show up. It'll start crying and being a pest. Then it will develop any number of issues with power, capacity, tolerances, etc. Next thing you know, it will send itself off to the adoption agency and you'll be forced to buy some big honking chunk of table saw iron just to keep the Shop Fox company.

Next thing you, your jointer will start wheezing and coughing fits.......

S
L
I
P

S
L
I
D
I
N
G

A

W

A

Y

:D

Vaughn McMillan
12-03-2005, 3:45 AM
Andy, you crack me up. :D Here's hoping my TS3650 will hang in there for some time yet. (Another agonizing decision when I bought that one...took a chance and went a bit against popular opinion, and have been very pleased with my decision since then.)

Don, thanks for the offer(s). I confirmed with the salesman that it comes broken down enough to fit in the back of my SUV, and already enlisted a co-worker to unload and help set it up when it arrives. (He's another woodworker whom I'm trying to get interested in SMC.) And pics when it's set up are a given. ;)

Tom, you read betwen the lines quite well. The boards that sold were priced a bit higher than I'd previously been charging, and I think I'll inch the price up another little notch on the next batch. I figure at some point I'll have the price high enough that I'm not getting more work than I can handle. Too low, too much work. Too high, no sales. I'm shooting for somewhere in the middle, and as my reputation gets around, the middle will rise as long as my product quality stays uncompromised. There are some very cool things in the mill right now on the cutting boards. :rolleyes: Pics will follow on those, too.

Bill, your comment earlier this week -- about having never regretted buying more than you needed at the time -- stuck with me thoughout this process. Good rule of thumb indeed. Thanks.

John Bailey hit the nail on the head...it sure is nice to have this group of people available for advice (and co-dependance) on this kind of thing. Thanks again, all.

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
12-03-2005, 3:55 AM
Vaughn---Congrat's on your decision, I'm sure you won't regret it. Doesn't it just feel good to be able to quit agonizing over it (said from experience)?

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2005, 6:59 AM
Congrats on your purchase Vaughn! Be sure to report back after you've used it for a while!

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 8:56 AM
AH, nothing like the feeling of a new tool on the way! Congrats, Vaughn!