PDA

View Full Version : dual marking gauge

lawrence munninghoff
01-03-2019, 7:13 PM
Anyone have experience using dual marking gauges? Better to use two single bladed marking gauges to mark mortises or use the dual marking gauge?

Chris Parks
01-03-2019, 7:41 PM
Not a direct answer to our question but an observation I have made recently while modifying a wheel gauge, why don't they put two heads on the same bar with blades at each end? I find the dual gauge a bit bulky for my small hand.

Timothy McMahon
01-03-2019, 8:34 PM
I have used the more traditional style (not Tite-Mark). Has worked well for me. Is faster to get the two lines than setting up and switching between two gauges. I have found to get a good scribe line like from an Xacto knife need to grind the points down with more of a knife edge.

Derek Cohen
01-03-2019, 8:34 PM
Chris, you can purchase twin wheel heads, such as for mortice and tenon marking, for wheel gauges. Titemark sell them. I think that Veritas might as well.

I do not recommend a twin headed wheel gauge (as opposed to the twin shaft version sold by Veritas. That is different). The problem is that a wheel gauge leaves a fine and light line. A double wheel leaves a fainter line, one which is more difficult to see, especially on dark woods.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Simon MacGowen
01-03-2019, 9:13 PM
Not a direct answer to our question but an observation I have made recently while modifying a wheel gauge, why don't they put two heads on the same bar with blades at each end? I find the dual gauge a bit bulky for my small hand.

LV does have the double-ended gauge as a pocket marking gauge.

Simon