PDA

View Full Version : WELL, that really stunk!

Fred Voorhees
12-02-2005, 6:46 PM
Came home from work today and had plans to get in the shop right away to continue some work on the twin corner hutch project. Got a fire started in the woodstove first and then headed out to the shop. Out the front door of the house and I noticed a sizeable limb on top of the camper. Checked it out because I had just replaced all of the four roof vent/skylights on the thing before Octobers annual trip and wanted to make sure that none of them took a hit. It was worse. The darned branch came down with the blunt and heavier end first and punched a hole right into the roof and right on through the interior cieling.

The following pictures tell the story. We bought the camper brand new back in the late eighties and have taken pains to keep it as nice as humanly possible, and we have been relatively successful. The thing is still really clean. This is a bummer though. Not a big enough deal to sit down and cry, but a bummer none the less. I patched the hole in the roof with some .016 aluminum and silicone caulked and pop riveted the patch in place and added more silicone around the seam and on the rivets, so it's again weatherproof. Fortunately, I re-coated the campers roof this year and I have some of the elastomeric coating left over and will use that to patch right over this aluminum patch and it should be as good as new. As for the inside, I guess I will try to patch that up with something out of the shop and try to make it as unobtrusive as possible. Nice way to start the weekend.:mad:

Bruce Page
12-02-2005, 6:49 PM
OUCH!
Bummer

Jerry Clark
12-02-2005, 7:11 PM
Fred I feel your pain-- maybe a new light would be nice there!:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2005, 7:40 PM
Fred....my sympathies! .....maybe a 2nd skylight next spring?

Vaughn McMillan
12-02-2005, 8:21 PM
On the bright side, at least you weren't sitting up there on a lawn chair with a cold one watching a race or something. Could've put an eye out. ;) Glad the damage was no worse than it was.

In retaliation for this heinous wood vs. man act, I think I'll go in the shop and torture some innocent pieces of wood tonight.

- Vaughn

Norman Hitt
12-02-2005, 8:44 PM
Cie la vie, (sometimes $^!* just happens, Fred).:( At least, you noticed it BEFORE it rained or snowed and ran inside and did more damage, but it does look like a good place to install a new smoke detector.:)