PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, my cell phone is missing

lowell holmes
01-03-2019, 9:23 AM
So I will go to Verizon when they open, have it disabled and buy a new one.

I bet I am the only old dog to have done this. It seems like every day is a new adventure.

Oh well, old age sure beats the alternative.

Jim Becker
01-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Call VZ and disable it immediately, Lowell.

Art Mann
01-03-2019, 11:11 AM
If it is a smart phone, either Google or Apple knows where it is. It is a shame you can't just ask them.

Roy Petersen
01-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Assuming it was on when it went missing, have you tried calling it?

Pat Barry
01-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Check the couch, thats where mine usually ends up, otherwise between the seat and console in my truck.

Edwin Santos
01-03-2019, 12:09 PM
If the phone (and it's case) is black, then look in your vehicle very closely if it has black seats or floor carpeting. Same goes for a black countertop or even a dark place. These black phones can be like camouflage against any black surface, especially for old dogs.

This is where your significant other with the pink case, or the fashion nerds with the flannel shirts and the belt phone holders get the last laugh.

Lee Schierer
01-03-2019, 12:20 PM
If it is a smart phone that is "on" and the location feature is turned on you can locate the phone using gps and the find my phone app. If the location isn't turned on you are out of luck as neither verizon nor the manufacturer can turn it on remotely.

lowell holmes
01-03-2019, 1:32 PM
I lost my phone and went to Verizon to get another one.
Because we carry replacement insurance on our account, it only cost me $20.
The charge would have been close to $500 without the insurance.
I just thought I would mention it.

I forgot about the earlier post and tried to delete it, but couldn't.
may an administer can.

Wade Lippman
01-03-2019, 2:55 PM
I lost my phone and went to Verizon to get another one.
Because we carry replacement insurance on our account, it only cost me $20.
The charge would have been close to $500 without the insurance.
I just thought I would mention it.

I forgot about the earlier post and tried to delete it, but couldn't.
may an administer can.

And that $20/month you have been paying for 2 years...

lowell holmes
01-03-2019, 5:08 PM
I drive a four year old truck that has no navigational system. The phone does. It is a lot cheaper than buying a 30 thousand truck that has the options.
OBTW, my truck is paid for.

Matt Day
01-03-2019, 5:57 PM
these days all cars have CarPlay or AndroidAuto so they don’t need to have navigation built in.

Hope you tried finding the old one with a locating app like Find My Phone. Not sire why you didn’t reply to all the questions/suggestions above.

lowell holmes
01-03-2019, 6:49 PM
The phone was on my belt and I was walking my dog on a cold morning when I lost it.. I was not in the truck. I could not find the phone when I looked for it.
So I got a new phone for $5. I have the navigation app and use it. My 2014 F150 does not have the apps you are talking about. My truck has a life expectancy of 10
to 15 years, Why would I spend 30 to 50 thousand dollars for a new one?

Chris Parks
01-03-2019, 7:54 PM
I'd count it as a blessing and get on with life. How did the world ever survive without the mobile phone? I threatened to run over mine so I did not have to answer it and my wife just about showed me how to fill in the divorce papers.

Bryan Lisowski
01-03-2019, 8:18 PM
these days all cars have CarPlay or AndroidAuto so they don’t need to have navigation built in.

Hope you tried finding the old one with a locating app like Find My Phone. Not sire why you didn’t reply to all the questions/suggestions above.

Not all apps work with CarPlay. I have it in my car and can't use Waze, and apple maps in my area stinks. It seems to always put me in the wrong locale.

Lee Schierer
01-03-2019, 10:40 PM

Most cars don't have those systems and won't ever get them. Only cars newer than late 2014 have systems that are compatible and it is still an option on many models.

Jim Koepke
01-04-2019, 2:18 AM
My truck is a 1994, my wife's car is a 2001.

We do not have cell phones. When we did most of our calls were to find each other when we were shopping in a big store. Now we do it the old fashion way and get a little exercise.

jtk

Matt Day
01-04-2019, 8:35 AM
Most cars don't have those systems and won't ever get them. Only cars newer than late 2014 have systems that are compatible and it is still an option on many models.

I know that. I meant new cars and cars from the last couple years. I just bought a new suv and every one I looked at had it. It’s pretty much expected. The Ford Fiesta, their cheapest car comes with Waze and some kind of Sync feature that can use some phone apps.

I can use google maps though CarPlay thankfully. I have to go the phone function on the car and select the google map icon.

Bob Turkovich
01-04-2019, 8:58 AM
Last May, my wife and I were returning from a vacation in Northern Michigan when I noticed my phone was missing. We used the Find-my-phone feature on her phone to locate mine at an establishment we had been at. (Both phones were iPhone 7 thru AT&T on the same billing plan.) Called the establishment and they said no one had turned it in. We reversed our direction and drove 45 miles back to retrieve it. The feature put me within 15 feet of the phone.

Frederick Skelly
01-04-2019, 9:00 AM
And that $20/month you have been paying for 2 years...

That's $240 invested to replace a $500 phone Wade.
This time, buying the insurance was a worthwhile gamble. :) :) This time.

Jim Becker
01-04-2019, 9:22 AM
Not all apps work with CarPlay. I have it in my car and can't use Waze, and apple maps in my area stinks. It seems to always put me in the wrong locale.
WAYZ works with CarPlay now with iOS 12. Same for Google Maps.
-----

Lee is also correct that most vehicles do not have CarPlay/AndroidAuto today. The latest models coming off the line do, but most that are on the road do not.

David Bassett
01-04-2019, 12:25 PM
That's $240 invested to replace a $500 phone Wade.
This time, buying the insurance was a worthwhile gamble. :) :) This time.

Unless you're careful with math and then it's: 2 * 12 * $20 = $480

(plus the transfer / transaction fee.)

Darcy Warner
01-04-2019, 1:31 PM
I just dock my android in that cassette looking thingy in my truck. Horrible connection though.

Frederick Skelly
01-04-2019, 1:37 PM
Unless you're careful with math and then it's: 2 * 12 * $20 = $480

(plus the transfer / transaction fee.)

Oh geez. You're sure right David. I seem to be having a "stupid week" across the board. Sorry Wade!

Bob Glenn
01-04-2019, 7:25 PM
You should take the time to enjoy life without the cyber binky. For most they are a ball and chain. The grandson was on his cell phone the minute we sat down for Thanksgiving dinner. I politely asked if he wanted to join us. It won't be long before the tele-marketers will ruin this like they have the land lines.

Curt Harms
01-05-2019, 8:02 AM
You should take the time to enjoy life without the cyber binky. For most they are a ball and chain. The grandson was on his cell phone the minute we sat down for Thanksgiving dinner. I politely asked if he wanted to join us. It won't be long before the tele-marketers will ruin this like they have the land lines.

Good job Glenn on the grandson. SWMBO was less diplomatic with her adult daughter. The question to ask with most tech stuff is who is managing who? If necessary there is still a way to power them down.

Bill Jobe
01-05-2019, 12:33 PM
You should take the time to enjoy life without the cyber binky. For most they are a ball and chain. The grandson was on his cell phone the minute we sat down for Thanksgiving dinner. I politely asked if he wanted to join us. It won't be long before the tele-marketers will ruin this like they have the land lines

My guess would be that for most this is a traumatic event.
Can you recall every single piece of the puzzle you are?
We toss all of our intimate and financial data at our phones and then to realize that somewon out there has free access to that data.

Could it be him? Or her? Or them?

I suspect that for many such an incident would not be that all unlike having discovered that someone has been in your home.
Even worse. Direct access to your finances.
There are brilliant minds out there with fat intent.

Pat Barry
01-05-2019, 6:12 PM
It seems unthinkable not to have at least a basic cell phone; for emergency use : ie: while traveling, out on a walk, etc.

lowell holmes
01-05-2019, 6:48 PM
My wife has one and we have a house phone line. It did not ring.
I went to Verizon and with with my insurance bought a new one for $20.
They will deliver it to my house tomorrow.

Brian Elfert
01-06-2019, 10:16 PM
Verizon charges a maximum of $13 a month for covering a single phone so not quite as bad as $20 per month.

lowell holmes
01-07-2019, 11:25 AM
To be clear, the cost of the insurance was $12 per month, The $20 us a one time fee.
I am satisfied. The cost of a new phone out right would be much more.

lowell holmes
01-07-2019, 4:41 PM
Well, some one found my phone in Bacliff Texas (10 miles or so away) and called my daughter on it.
She is retreiving the phone for me. So now, I have to go back to Verizon and cancel the order for a
replacement. :)

Jim Becker
01-07-2019, 4:55 PM
Or do the replacement since it's such low cost and have the old one as a spare...

lowell holmes
01-07-2019, 5:46 PM
Well,
My daughter along with my grandchildren and son-in-law live 3/8 of a mile away. She called and said a neighbor of mine the next street over from our house found the phone, found her phone number, called her and brought it to her. My daughter brought it to me and I went back to the Verizon office and cancelled the order for a replacement.

So all's well that ends well.:)