PDA

View Full Version : flat sawn and QSWO question

Bill Carey
01-02-2019, 1:21 PM
If I combine FS and QS white oak in the same build, can I count on them finishing the same, or does the method of sawing dramatically change the way they finish? I'm going to experiment but was wondering if there is any experience you could share. Thanks.

Jim Becker
01-02-2019, 1:41 PM
They should finish basically the same but the QS might appear slightly different simply because of the rays/figure that's more prominent and of a different color than the surrounding material. Personally, I'd mix rift and QS to minimize any clash so there's "simple" grain and "QS" grain contrast in a nice way. For me, that would typically be rails/stiles from rift and panels from QS. Subjective, however, and more of a design thing than a finishing "problem".

Bill Carey
01-02-2019, 1:51 PM
typically be rails/stiles from rift and panels from QS.

Exactly what I had in mind. Good suggestion on the rift - I'll see if my guy can do that. Thx.

Wayne Lomman
01-02-2019, 3:11 PM
They will finish similarly as Jim said. Cheers

John TenEyck
01-02-2019, 3:26 PM
If you can't source rift only, then just buy wide flat sawn boards. Typically, at one edge will have at least 3" of rift sawn grain, wide enough to get your stile/rail stock. Then use the plain sawn for the panels. This is a pretty common approach for guys making a lot of cabinet doors.

FWIW, the last time I bought rift sawn I had to buy a minimum 100 BF and the price was around $7/BF which is more than QS. Special order it seems.

John

Scott T Smith
01-05-2019, 3:53 PM
Good advice from Jim, John and Wayne. It usually does not look as good to edge join QS to FS.

Bill Carey
01-05-2019, 6:21 PM
Thanks for the info folks. Went to Cassen's today and got about 50 bf of qswo and fswo, and 2 walnut slabs. Gonna be a party tonite.