PDA

View Full Version : My wish for 2019

Jen Joy
01-02-2019, 1:12 PM
I came to Sawmill Creek because of Stan. I was taking a Japanese hand tool class at community college and being that sort of nerd, I'm always searching the Internet for more answers. So many times it led me here. I learned so much from Stan's old posts (and Brian's and others, of course) that I never needed to post. Then there was some kerfuffle and I know he was kicked off. I don't know if he would come back, but I think this is a time to forgive and remember we are only here for a short time. We should take care of each other (at my other community college that's what they have posted all over in the wood shop ... "take care of each other", well, that and "clean up after yourself!").

My wish is for the mods and Stan to mend the past and forge ahead anew -- isn't that part of striving to be better humans in a difficult world?

I have bought tools from the used section, I have sent private messages, but I have never posted until now. I lurk hard, but I have learned a lot from your posts. Most of what I need to know are beginner questions and I can find those answers in the archives.

Stan broke the rules, but somehow I have to feel the balance of his contributions mean something -- there is an entire library of knowledge hidden in the archives. And now all the Japanese threads are lacking.

To the rest of you, thank you for your contributions, for answering my messages, for selling me cool tools (like Ron's dovetail tool), and for the mods and whoever runs this board, thanks to you for having this here and for your work behind the scenes.

Best wishes for 2019 to you all! May your oilpots be full!

Brian Holcombe
01-02-2019, 1:29 PM
I certainly like to see that as well, his contributions are greatly missed. Stan brings and an experience with Japanese tools and woodworking that is irreplaceable.

Charles Guest
01-02-2019, 6:12 PM
I came to Sawmill Creek because of Stan. I was taking a Japanese hand tool class at community college and being that sort of nerd, I'm always searching the Internet for more answers. So many times it led me here. I learned so much from Stan's old posts (and Brian's and others, of course) that I never needed to post. Then there was some kerfuffle and I know he was kicked off. I don't know if he would come back, but I think this is a time to forgive and remember we are only here for a short time. We should take care of each other (at my other community college that's what they have posted all over in the wood shop ... "take care of each other", well, that and "clean up after yourself!").

My wish is for the mods and Stan to mend the past and forge ahead anew -- isn't that part of striving to be better humans in a difficult world?

I have bought tools from the used section, I have sent private messages, but I have never posted until now. I lurk hard, but I have learned a lot from your posts. Most of what I need to know are beginner questions and I can find those answers in the archives.

Stan broke the rules, but somehow I have to feel the balance of his contributions mean something -- there is an entire library of knowledge hidden in the archives. And now all the Japanese threads are lacking.

To the rest of you, thank you for your contributions, for answering my messages, for selling me cool tools (like Ron's dovetail tool), and for the mods and whoever runs this board, thanks to you for having this here and for your work behind the scenes.

Best wishes for 2019 to you all! May your oilpots be full!

No message

Glenn de Souza
01-02-2019, 6:59 PM
Another lurker here - I don't know about, nor do I have any comment on the so-called kerfuffle mentioned, but I would like to say I got a lot out of Stan's posts in general and in particular the series on Ancient Tools.
More than posts, I think they deserve to be thought of as essays. With a little refining they would be worthy of publication in any of the woodworking magazines, and they were handed to us on a silver platter here at SMC for free.

So between my appreciation for what Stan shared and my self-interest in continuing to learn as a woodworker - I say if he could be recruited back, it would be a real asset to the forum.

Frederick Skelly
01-02-2019, 8:19 PM
I'd love it if Stan came back. I miss his experience and insights.

Jim Koepke
01-02-2019, 9:03 PM
+1 on all the above.

Bill McDermott
01-03-2019, 4:18 PM
+2
Not many willing or able to compose the reference pieces Stan contributes.