PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say thanks

Steve Braman
12-02-2005, 2:26 PM
I have been lurking around quite a bit lately and wanted to thank everyone for their wisdom. I found this site through a rude comment on another site that some people might be more comfortable here. Well, they were right. I have not been back there.

I am new to both this board and woodworking. I grew up with a very handy father so I have been around the tools but not produced anything of quality... yet. I have collected a small set of handtools over the years and have used them for house projects and boat building.

Recently bought a house with a 20x12 outbuilding that I was told would be my shop. Well it is still filled with the product of combining two houses. Hopefully Good Will can benefit from this soon. I did manage to add a tablesaw to claim some floor space. The space is great and will let me get back to finishing a strip plank kayak in the near future. It has been sitting in a friend's barn since I relocated 3 years ago. I will try to post pictures of both the kayak and a canoe paddle that I am slowly working on. Wood shavings are very theraputic!

Thanks again, and I hope to get to know you all better.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2005, 2:29 PM
Welcome to the Creek Steve! Neat place to exchange information. From beginners to pros....they're all here willing to lend an opinion or trade information! Once again.......Welcome to the Creek!

John Miliunas
12-02-2005, 2:30 PM
And a BIG, WARM WELCOME to you, Steve!:) Yeah, we like to think of this place as "warm & fuzzy". A bit too tame for some but, that doesn't mean we don't like to have a little fun every now and again! (Often at my expense, but that's OK, too!:D ) At any rate, a super place to drop anchor! Come often, stay long and yes, as I think you've already gathered, we love project and shop pics!:) :cool:

Roy Wall
12-02-2005, 2:36 PM
Steve,

Yes - shavings are theraputic..........:)

Welcome ......from shop setup to a hand cut bevel with a block plane - the people here at SMC will certainly give you some guidance.
A massive source of WWing intellect - and nice too! I'm always humbled by the great help I get......a great place!!!

Bob Winkler
12-02-2005, 2:36 PM
Welcome to my favorite place. I'm certain you'll love it here. Lots of great people, in all respects.

Bob

tod evans
12-02-2005, 2:42 PM
welcome steve, this is the most civil forum i`ve found, enjoy. tod

Mike Wenzloff
12-02-2005, 2:47 PM
Welcome Steve.

Tis a decent place to be sure.

Mike

Michael Gabbay
12-02-2005, 2:48 PM
Steve - Welcome! I grew up in Alexandria. I'm now a country boy in Herndon! :D

Good luck setting up shop. Please post pictures when you can.

Mike

Richard Gillespie
12-02-2005, 3:37 PM
Steve;

Welcome and hope you enjoy your stay. I've learned much on this forum and look forward to learning more.

Right down the road from you in Dumfries. I've been doing some restoration work in Old Town Alexandria form time to time.

Rick

Jim Dunn
12-02-2005, 4:45 PM
Steve, Welcome to the creek.

Jim D

Mark Singer
12-02-2005, 7:04 PM
Welcome Steve! Great guys and lots of good beer:rolleyes:

Cecil Arnold
12-02-2005, 7:11 PM
Welcome Steve! Where's the beer? Is Mark buying?

John Miliunas
12-02-2005, 7:37 PM
Welcome Steve! Where's the beer? Is Mark buying?

You'll have to excuse Mark. Me thinks he's been into the Martini well!:rolleyes: I'm sure he meant to say, "....good cheer" , right Mark?:D :cool:

Bob Noles
12-02-2005, 7:46 PM
Steve,

Welcome to the friendliest and most outrageous bunch of woodworkers in cyberspace. Hope you will join in the fun and share experiences with us often.

We are a tame bunch by comparison, that is until someone tries to compare tool brands once in a while :eek: but even that can end up being fun sometimes :p

See you around.......

btw.... just ignore Mark.... he's not even old enough to drink beer :)

Mark Singer
12-02-2005, 8:03 PM
You'll have to excuse Mark. Me thinks he's been into the Martini well!:rolleyes: I'm sure he meant to say, "....good cheer" , right Mark?:D :cool:

I have some great cabernet I am drinking.....my posts may get better as the evening wears on......:rolleyes:

Cecil Arnold
12-02-2005, 8:47 PM
And I'm sure its California cabernet, none of that overpriced French swill. Yeah, right.

James Mittlefehldt
12-02-2005, 10:24 PM
From one newbie to another welcome Steve. I have noted on another site that when someone asks a rudimentry question half the posts offer good advice the other half b#@*^ about why someone is asking that question yet again. You won't find that here.

As to Mark, I suspect it is California Cabernet, as opposed to other overpriced Swill. (LOL) I actually tried some beer from a micro brewery in I believe Chico California, an India PAle Ale it was quite good, surprisingly enough.

Steve Braman
12-03-2005, 7:40 AM
Thanks for the great welcome. I am sure I am going to be asking many basic questions that have been answered a million times and I will apologize up front for that. I will be posting questions both here and over at the general woodworking board. I feel a different sense of accomplishment when using unpowered tools, but many projects are needed quicker than that. I find making shavings with a plane or spokeshave so theraputic that i don't want to use up all the therapy at once and projects slow down so I give in and use power when I need to make progress. Maybe I need to find lots of small projects that I can give away.

First square (non-marine) project will probably be a work bench. I am currently woeking off plywood over sawhorses. This might be a boatbuilder thing because it makes your workspace very portable. I have a few cabinetry projects (laundry cabinet and built in for kneewall) for the new house and promise I will overload everyone with questions.

I misplaced the cord for the digital camera during the move, but I will try to find it soon so I can show you some pictures.

John Hart
12-03-2005, 7:55 AM
Welcome Steve!!! When I worked around the Beltway a few years ago, Old Town was my favorite place to hang out. Still stop in when ever I get a chance. Good luck with your workbench...that's a great project to start with!!;)

James Owen
12-31-2005, 8:36 PM
And I'm sure its California cabernet, none of that overpriced French swill. Yeah, right.

Hey!! Don't be usin' them kinda' adjectives and insultin' swill like that!!!!! {big grin}