PDA

View Full Version : parallel ripping jig for slider

Kevin Jenness
01-01-2019, 5:56 PM
I've been meaning to make this for a while.399987399988

Lee Schierer
01-02-2019, 9:06 AM
Not being the owner of a slider, How does it work?

Kevin Jenness
01-02-2019, 10:12 AM
It allows ripping on the siding carriage rather than leaning over the beam to use the rip fence. Can be used for parallel and tapered cuts in conjunction with the crosscut fence stop and clamps.400057

Lee Schierer
01-02-2019, 6:23 PM
Thanks the added photo and clamps made you jig much clearer.

Mike Wilkins
01-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the idea. I have been meaning to make something similar for my own slider and your set-up is right on time.

Matthew Springer
01-08-2019, 4:03 PM
How are you doing the initial setting of the offset (assuming a straight parallel cut). Do you just slide the back position ref up to the crosscut? Set it, then slid eit back?

Kevin Jenness
01-08-2019, 7:21 PM
Crosscut a scrap using the fence stop and use that to set the jig off the blade.

Steve Jenkins
01-08-2019, 7:36 PM
If the arm is made square rather than round you make a test cut and measure the width then attach a piece of self adhesive measuring tape.

Chris Parks
01-08-2019, 10:39 PM
Crosscut a scrap using the fence stop and use that to set the jig off the blade.

I must be thick, why didn't I think of that, it's just so obvious. Thanks for the tip.

Derek Cohen
01-11-2019, 7:26 PM
If the arm is made square rather than round you make a test cut and measure the width then attach a piece of self adhesive measuring tape.

Chris, that is how I set up the markings on the F&F jig.

Has anyone compared the two jigs?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chris Parks
01-11-2019, 8:35 PM
My F&F jig to measure on the left side of the blade has an Incra fence on it as you know and as does yours. I had two issues with wider rips than the F&F could measure and also sheet goods. For the sheet goods if the sheet is thin then it will droop at the unsupported corner so I have been thinking about attaching some support in the same manner as this is done and at the same time for wider rips incorporating a parallel rip guide that drops out of the way when not needed. I was going to use a small aluminium extrusion but like all things it is on the list. I would like the extrusion to hinge and drop out of the way but be clear of the side of the cabinet so it does not have to be removed because I have found that if things aren't easy to use they don't get used.

David Buchhauser
05-03-2019, 11:45 PM
It allows ripping on the siding carriage rather than leaning over the beam to use the rip fence. Can be used for parallel and tapered cuts in conjunction with the crosscut fence stop and clamps.400057

Hi Kevin,
I really like your shop-built hold down clamps. Very Nice!
David