PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Target USL?

Alan Mikkelsen
12-02-2005, 11:33 AM
I just ordered a quart of semi gloss and a coat of satin USL to try. This is my first experience with WB finish. Should I have also ordered a sealer? I assume I will be sanding between the first two coats anyway. How many coats on furniture like chairs and tables does anyone recommend? Of the two (satin and semigloss), which comes closest to a 'handrubbed' effect' or what Sherwin Williams calls a 'medium rubbed effect'?

Any other pointers or suggestions out there? I am shooting it with the Wagner HVLP and a 2 qt. pressure pot.

Thanks for your help.

Michael Gabbay
12-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Alan - I used the USL for a project this summer. I purchased through Jeff Jewitt. He did not recommend using a sealer. The first coat acts as one. I ended up spraying about 6 coats since it was for a vanity and wanted to protect the wood. It sands out nicely with 400 or 600 paper. It also has good burn in between coats. If it looks bad when you spary it leave it alone for 20 - 30 minutes and let it burn in and level.

For my Asturo BBS gravity gun I used a 1.5mm tip and it went on beautifully.

This will be my go to product for future projects.

Mike

Jim Becker
12-04-2005, 9:04 PM
USL can be "self sealing" as Mike says. 'Just knock down any fuzzies after the first coat or two with 320 grit wet and dry and proceed from there.