PDA

View Full Version : CU300 Dust collection

Carl Beckett
12-30-2018, 5:13 PM
Tis the season... and I am doing some small shop upgrades.

Does anyone happen to have pictures of blade dust collection options for a MM CU300 SMART. This combo machine means an overarm would get in the way of the P/J. Am look for something that doesnt need to come off each switch over.

My shop ceiling is pretty high up and would get cludgey coming from above. Plus I do move the machine around a small bit so ideally something attached to the Saw (but out of the way?).

Not obvious to me, so welcome ideas.

Jim Becker
12-30-2018, 6:32 PM
The stock solution should be the same as on my S315Ws slider...a guard/collector that attaches to the riving knife for through cuts, especially since with a combo, you have the challenge with interference with other functions as you note. You do need to fly in a hose from above, however, for any overhead blade collection, whether it's knife-mounted or on an arm from the side or above. Nature of the beast. I have a 3" drop to the riving knife mounted guard, but honestly I rarely use it because of the variety of cuts I make. Most of the time, I just use the cabinet/lower blade shroud collection.

Here's a photo of the CU300 (current version) with the OEM collector/guard visible:

https://www.scmgroup.com/website/var/tmp/image-thumbnails/20000/27213/thumb__SCM-imgProdotto/721-minimax-cu-300c_2017.jpeg

Philip Glover
12-30-2018, 8:21 PM
Hi Carl,

This is what I did with a Shark Guard.
If you are ever in NH send me a PM and you can see this in my shop.

Regards,
Phil

Philip Glover
12-30-2018, 8:27 PM
Sorry about that.
Here are the photos.

Frank Martin
12-31-2018, 2:15 AM
Philip, I am also thinking about getting a Sharkguard for my CU300 as the OEM guard has not been very effective due to the very narrow diameter. I get a lot of dust spraying towards the back of the saw. Is the Sharkguard much better in collecting dust?

Philip Glover
12-31-2018, 9:55 AM
Frank,
The Shark Guard is a definite improvement over the stock blade guard in terms of dust collection (more airflow).
It has more coverage over the blade because it is larger, it pivots as the blade is raised and lowered and when material passes underneath, and it is removed easily without tools when needed.
Sometimes small or thin strips of wood will get sucked up into / through the guard; due in part to its size.
Also, it's safer due to the greater coverage and the pivoting action.
I must conclude with it does not pick up 100% of the dust, however, it's noticeably better than stock.

Regards,
Phil