PDA

View Full Version : Used PM 66 Question

Johnny Robeaux
12-30-2018, 8:04 AM
Newbie and first time poster here. First want to thank you all there is a lot of good information in these forums. I am looking purchasing a table saw. Started looking at the big box store models as they are more with in my budget. Then started watching CL for used saws. A green PM 66 popped up. Don’t have much information on it yet. Trying to setup a time to go look at it. It is single phase 220 motor and it is listed at $800. Will attach a picture. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks for your replies in advance.

Mike Kees
12-30-2018, 11:49 AM
Johnny don't waist much time waiting for replies, get over there and check that thing out. Take cash.

Jeff Heath
12-30-2018, 12:48 PM
PM 66's are the best of the 10" cabinet saws. They are stoutly built, with the largest arbors and internal castings in their class (10" saws). That saw is from the green era, which is the heyday of Powermatic.

The saw pictured is a complete saw, including the front dust door (often missing, and $100 to buy) and a 52" Biesemeyer fence. The fence alone costs $550 to buy, new.

If it needs any work, the arbor bearings and motor bearings are around $100 total, for all four, to replace, and it's a fairly straight forward and easy job.

While you're asking questions, somebody might be there buying it. It's a better made saw than the current new $2500 to $3500 offerings from Asia, assuming there's no physical damage to it.

Phillip Mitchell
12-30-2018, 1:04 PM
$800 for a green 66 if this vintage with a 52" fence looks like a great deal. I paid $900 a year or so ago for a newer (early 90s, gold color) 66 with 3 hp, single phase motor, 52" bies fence, mobile base and some other goodies that came with it and felt like I got a great deal.

Does it have any issues that you know of (communicated by the seller)?

Greg Parrish
12-30-2018, 1:04 PM
I bought my 1972 green version fully restored with the top Blanchard ground, new arbor and bearings, belts, new Leeson 3hp USA motor, new magnetic starter and wiring, and a 36” and 52” beisemeyer fence with shopfox tool cart and extension for the 52” rails legs, Freud blade, tennoning jig, original blade insert and a zero clearance insert. Only thing I had to add was the motor cover which I bought from Bell Plastics rather than going original metal box. I paid $1,400 as outlined above, which may seem a little high, but it was as close to 1972 new as possible and is a solid saw with flat top, new us motor and all new parts.

I added a shark guard with splitter and 4” dust port, a couple push sticks and the motor cover. Built a simple insert for the 52” rails. And I love it.

For $800 as long as there is no major damage or rust through you should be able to restore it as needed and be in it less than me.

This was mine mine right after I got it home

But here is where the guy I bought it from got it from and you can see from the pictures it was similar to yours but maybe not quite as nice. http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=12368

Phillip Mitchell
12-30-2018, 1:10 PM
I bought my 1972 green version fully restored with the top Blanchard ground, new arbor and bearings, belts, new lesson 3hp USA motor, new magnetic starter and wiring, and a 36” and 52” beisemeyer fence with shopfox tool cart and extension for the 52” rails legs, Freud blade, tennoning jig, original blade insert and a zero clearance insert. Only thing I had to add was the motor cover which I bought from Bell Plastics rather than going original metal box. I paid $1,400 as outlined above, which may seem a little high, but it was as close to 1972 new as possible and is a solid saw with flat top, new us motor and all new parts.

I added a shark guard with splitter and 4” dust port, a couple push sticks and the motor cover. Built a simple insert for the 52” rails. And I love it.

For $800 as long as there is no major damage or rust through you should be able to restore it as needed and be in it less than me.

This was mine mine right after I got it home

But here is where the guy I bought it from got it from and you can see from the pictures it was similar to yours but maybe not quite as nice. http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=12368

Greg,

That's a fine looking 66!

How do you like the Shark Guard splitter? Have you used a saw with a proper riving knife for comparison's sake? I've been thinking about the Shark Guard splitter for my 66, but have been waiting to see if they (or anyone else) come out with a proper riving knife for the 66 like they offer for the Unisaw.

Greg Parrish
12-30-2018, 1:15 PM
I have not. I’m assuming the difference in a riving knife is that it goes up and down with the blade where my splitter is fixed. The shark guard comes with about 4 splitters that allow you to adjust the height as well as use without the dust hood. I think they also have thin kerf and regular width options too but can’t remember. The dust collection on mine is great. Only time I get much escaping is when I’m using the tall splitter on thinner wood, but overall it works great. Better than the original blade guard I think.

Johnny Robeaux
12-30-2018, 2:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am waiting for the seller to get back with me so I can go see it.

Bill Dufour
12-30-2018, 6:11 PM
That saw will last a lifetime if it is all there with no cracked castings. At worst bearings and maybe the arbor, if worn, will need to be replaced. If the arbor was not run with a loose blade it will last the life of the saw.
The motor should be a standard C-face motor so much cheaper, then a unisaw custom mount motor, if you decide to increase horsepower .
Bil lD.

David Utterback
12-30-2018, 8:16 PM
Hopefully, it has at least 3 h.p. motor. Take a straight edge to check the top although you can have ground for less than $150.

Bill Dufour
12-31-2018, 1:07 AM
Ebay has one with a sliding table for $750. Not in as good a shape but it may be closer to you. Note that France has 50HZ so it will run a bit slower then it would on 60HZ USA power.
Bill D.
modesto, CA