PDA

View Full Version : LIghtning sometimes does strike twice! GLOAT!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2005, 9:21 AM
I'm a believer that some opportunities in life only present themselves once. If you're prepared, you can take advantage of those opportunities.

My youngest son was in dental school on an unbelieveable scholarship a number of years ago after just breaking up with young lady to whom he'd been engaged for 2 years. During the 14 months he attended, he did well but I think it dawned on him whose faults created the breakup and ...his heart wasn't in it....the school that is....

He ended up in the Navy as an officer....met his wife while in Pensacola...got married......served 5 years.........got out.....And for 2 years has been pursuing getting back in to dental school..................

Last night while I was working on an MR scanner....he called me on my business cell phone.......3 wayed my wife onto the call....................

He's been accepted at the University of Texas....Houston.....dental school!

His comment...."Believe me Dad....I won't squander THIS opportunity".........He's grown immensely as an adult and a human being in the years since his first opportunity........14 weeks under a Marine Gunny had a tremendous result!

Excuse me while I gloat! My wife and I are extremely happy for his wife and he!

Jerry Clark
12-02-2005, 9:32 AM
Congratulations Ken-- they learn lessons the hard way-:rolleyes: - Glad he is going back. He will make you proud this time.:)

Donnie Raines
12-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi Ken,

Not sure how old your son is( I am 28). I kinda went through the same thing myself. However, I have been with the same gilr since I was 13. I started collage and just was'nt into it. Left school and started working at a local golf coarse. I could see that was going no where and found myself back in school a year later.

Things happen for a reason....and they always seem to find a way. Now I am working in the career I always thought that I would....which happens to be the sanme lineof work my father does.

Tony Falotico
12-02-2005, 12:26 PM
When I graduated from high school, college was the LAST thing on my mind. I'd had ENOUGH school to last a lifetime. Two years in the real world changed my mind, went back to college and have done well since.

I think a young person should be required to spend one year in the real world before going on to college. Could end up his/her most enlightening year!

John Miliunas
12-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Ken, congrats to you, your wife AND your son! Great decision on his part and it's super that he is able to jump back into it! Please, wish him the best on our behalf!:) :cool:

Bruce Page
12-02-2005, 1:11 PM
Great gloat!

Jerry Olexa
12-02-2005, 1:44 PM
Ken, happy for you and your family..Your example setting and patience paid off...Sounds like the extra time helped make a better decision...Congrats!

Peter Stahl
12-02-2005, 9:40 PM
Congratulations Ken. Wish I could have gotten my son into the service. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do when I grow up!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys for the comments!

Peter.....you know it's kind of ironic. My youngest son was an excellent college student once he discovered science. He has a degree in Natural Sciences (pre-med) but even at age 25..... "I'll never go into the military....and if I did it XXXX sure wouldn't be the Navy."He was the most immature 25 year old man (I was hesitant to use that word) I'd ever seen. After he dropped out of dental school, he called to say he'd applied to the Air Force to be a pilot. I snookered him (probably the only time) into applying to the Navy. As a result of an injury while attending flight school he developed migraines and eventually was dropped from the program. He was far enough through the program that he had to give the Navy 4 years. He served on the aircraft carrier, the USS Carl Vinson. He fell in love with Navy life as I did. He got out only because it was too hard on his new acquired pharmicist wife.

Well............Now for the 3rd strike......He just called a few minutes ago....He applied to 3 dental schools.....yesterday he got accepted at University of Texas Houston Health Sciences dental school........today he received the acceptance letter from University of Oklahoma dental school.........he hasn't heard from the University of Iowa yet......

And Peter....the kicker......he's applied for a Naval scholarship (he's still in the inactive reserves) to help pay for dental school and plans on going back into the Navy following dental school..........I quote I'll never go into the military....and if I did it XXXX sure wouldn't be the Navy."

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-03-2005, 12:51 AM
We have one finishing up a NROTC scholarship at UT Austin...and if I understand correctly, he'll be heading to navigator training next spring. This scares the hell outta me...they must be talking to a different lad than the one that visits his mommy periodically :eek: . Far as I'm concerned, he'd benefit greatly from a few weeks with Gunny.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2005, 6:43 AM
KC.....good luck to your son and you!

I can remember pulling onto a parking area at Pensacola. We had to park about 2 blocks away from our son's barracks. He saw us and met us half way. He gave his Mom a big hug and kiss. He stepped in front of me "Dad, I had no idea how much you did for me and how very easy I had it!" He gave me a big hug and a kiss. That night at the "Mom and Pop Dinner", my wife's giving the Gunny " the what to's and the why fors' " because her little boy couldn't call home everynight. I'm grabbing the Gunny's sleeve...."Gunny let me buy you a drink!" Different people different perspectives.

Our youngest son is 33 now, happily married to a fine woman....14 weeks under a Marine Gunny............I'm forever indebted!

Dan Forman
12-03-2005, 7:02 AM
Ken---I didn't make much of my first stint in college either. Went back after fifteen years and got my degree. Motivation is a powerful thing.

Dan

John Hart
12-03-2005, 7:35 AM
That's awesome Ken!!! The difference between my Pre-Navy college days and my post-Navy college days are like night and day. Low grades...parties...laziness turned into straight A's....focus...drive. Amazing what a little discipline and pride will do.

I'm happy for you all!!:) :)

Ernie Nyvall
12-03-2005, 8:18 AM
Congratulations Ken, and to your son. That's really great.

My oldest brother went to the Houston dental school and became a very successful dentist.

Ernie

Jim Becker
12-03-2005, 9:28 AM
Wow. Congrats to your son, Ken...and you, too!

Cecil Arnold
12-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Ken, congratulations on raising (along with the gunny) a good son. If he should decide to go to school in Houston you will have to give me a call when you come to visit. If he needs someone to give him some info. etc. on the area PM me for a phone number.