PDA

View Full Version : Incra Miter Guages

Guy Germaine
12-02-2005, 8:14 AM
Is there any difference, other than the telescoping fence, between the 1000 and the 1000SE? I'm trying to decide if I really need the telescoping fence or not. Normally for cuts on pieces long enough to extend the fence, I would probably use a crosscut sled anyway. Thoughts please?

Chris Rosenberger
12-02-2005, 8:30 AM
The 1000SE also has a 1/10 degree vernier cursor, extendable flipfence & the flip stop. The fence & stop by them selves sell for $80.00.
The 1000 has a 1/4 degree vernier cursor, a standard fence & slide stop.

Bill Fields
12-02-2005, 9:12 AM
Guy:

I got the 1000SE.

Be careful when you make the saw cut, the position of which is determined by left or right tilt of your saw.

To prove that I don't instructions, I cut mine wrong.

BILL FIELDS

Chris Rosenberger
12-02-2005, 9:16 AM
Bill,
Are you talking about beveling the end of the fence?

Chris

Bill Fields
12-02-2005, 1:42 PM
Chris--

No--when you get the unit the instructions tell you WHERE to place the cut that seperates the moving part from the fixed part. That WHERE is dependent on whether you are using a right or left tilt saw.

I did not read it carefully and cut the piece in the wrong place. I was able to fix the mistake by gluing things back together and starting over correctly.

The other mistake I made was assuming the supplied "T-clip" was to be used with the slots in the Incra. It was "too big" for that--so I ground it down to fit.

Soon therafter I realized that this part was to be used on the slots in the TS--not the Incra. Called Taylor/Incra and they cheerfully sent a replacement.

Great tool--sometimes murky instructions--especially if you don't read them!

Bill Fields

Hoa Dinh
12-02-2005, 6:13 PM
Hi Bill,

I'm totally confused :confused:. Are you talking about the Incra miter gauge 1000SE? What's the fixed part and what's the moving part?

Back to Guy's question about the difference between 1000 and 1000SE, the most significant difference, IMHO, is the fence and the stop. I've never use the 1/10 degree vernier scale of the 1000SE, but still think its FlipFence and Flip Stop are worth the price difference.

Both Woodpecker and Hartville Tool have the 1000SE at $119.

Gregg Mason
12-03-2005, 8:12 PM
Watch for the 1000SE to go on sale on amazon. I just bought one a few weeks ago for $95.00 including free shipping. Now the price is back up to $145.00 plus shipping.

Dave Lehnert
12-04-2005, 12:52 AM
I am also confused. What did you have to cut? I set it up and cut nothing.
I have the SE and love it. Got it from Amazon for $98. I would hold off till it's on sale.

Vaughn McMillan
12-04-2005, 4:01 AM
Add me to the list...I don't know what part is to be cut. If you're doing miters, you could get the fence in the blade path pretty easily if you're not careful, but it's made to easily adjust out of the way of the blade, regardless of the angle. It's also easy to add a sacrificial fence so you're supporting the cut on both sides of the blade. There's a pic at the end of post #13 in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26906) that shows the end of my sacrificial fence after doing several different miter cuts. It's not set for miters in the pic, and the photos are describing the fence scale, but it shows an example of the only part of my 1000SE I've cut.

- Vaughn

Bill Fields
02-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Sorry--did not realize that I had not cleared up the partial misstaement on the Incra 1000Se miter gauge.

I SHOULD have said that I got the 100SE AND the Miter Express--and it was the Miter Express that called for an initial cut.

Lame/Late

BIll