PDA

View Full Version : Miter Gauge

Don Abele
07-02-2003, 9:23 PM
I'm contemplating getting an upgraded miter gauge when I order my new Jet tablesaw. Have not exactly loved the stock gauges.

Have looked at a few, including the Incra 1000 and the new one that Norm has been using, the Osborne EB-3.

Your experience with upgrade miter gauges would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Be well,

Doc

Mike Lubin
07-02-2003, 9:45 PM
Well, I have heard good reviews about the Incra 1000 SE.
I was also looking at the Osborne not long ago, but I decided to go all out and get the Jointech Smart Miter. Watch the video on their website, and you will want one too. It is the only miter jig that will give you accurate length at any angle. It is expensive, but if you get it during one of the woodworking shows, there is a fairly decent discount.

- Mike

Jim Becker
07-02-2003, 10:31 PM
I own and like the Incra 1000 system...I have both 36" and 18" bars and generally use the longer one most of the time. I really wanted to get the BenchDog, but apparently they have discontinued it. I suspect it was too pricy for any kind of volume sales, but it was a winner construction-wise. The Osbourne EB-3 is a very nice tool and I would consider it if something happened to my Incra.

Mac McAtee
07-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Well, I have heard good reviews about the Incra 1000 SE.
I was also looking at the Osborne not long ago, but I decided to go all out and get the Jointech Smart Miter. Watch the video on their website, and you will want one too. It is the only miter jig that will give you accurate length at any angle. It is expensive, but if you get it during one of the woodworking shows, there is a fairly decent discount.

- Mike

I bought the Jointech at a WW show and have been very pleased with it. Once you set it up it is dead on accurate. But do follow the directions about how to set it to fit your saw.

Guy Kowalski
07-03-2003, 9:19 AM
I second the previous posters recommendation for an Incra 1000SE. I have tried quite a few aftermarket Miter Guages but IMHO the 1000SE was the keeper.

Charles McKinley
07-03-2003, 9:44 AM
I love my Smart Miter. My uncle is very happy with his Incra 1000. The Smart Miter gives you great repeatability out to 48"! The next step is a sliding table for even more crosscut travel. The Smart Miter has about 12" crosscut capacity.

The set up was much easier than I expected. If you are not near a show or do not want to wait the zero clearance table for the cut off piece would be easy to make. It is part of the show special. Buy the hold down clamp it is a nice feature (also part of the show special).

I closely compared it to the Incra 3000 and liked the Smart Miter better.

Good luck

Greg Daves
07-03-2003, 12:20 PM
I haven't seen one in person, but I am really intrigued by the Jointech SmartMiter. It's kind of a cross with a miter guage and a cross cut sled...but I think the cross cut capacity is something like 12 or 13". The great feature about it is that you can set the rule on the guage for the distance from the saw blade, and no matter what angle you cut, the rule will remain true, so you don't continually have to set the distance from the saw blade. For me alone, that is worth the cost of entry, which by the way is pretty steep - $259. I hope to see one at the show in Dallas toward the end of the year, but I would appreciate input from anyone that has one.

Ed Falis
07-03-2003, 4:12 PM
I've got the Osborne EB-3. After some initial futzing around to get it adjusted for the miter slot, it's been great. I recommend it.

- Ed

Daniel Rabinovitz
07-06-2003, 12:29 PM
I second the motion for the EB-3. Got one a year ago and it meets my needs excellently. Check it out!
Daniel

I've got the Osborne EB-3. After some initial futzing around to get it adjusted for the miter slot, it's been great. I recommend it.

- Ed

Mike Narges
07-06-2003, 6:00 PM
I got my EB3 a month or so ago. It's great. I was able to make oddball miters with ease. For example, I made an "heptagaon" (25.7 degree miter for seven sides) that went tightly together on the first try even though there is no detent for this angle. Excellent too with good balance and rigidity. I am sure you would find the EB3 a worthy investment.

Sincerely,

Mike Narges

George Troy Hurlburt
07-06-2003, 11:48 PM
Take a look at the SmartMiter as mentioned by the other posts.
I do mostly segmented turning. I have been threating to build sleds instead of using my home made miter gauges and the Woodhaven. I looked at the Dubby, SmartMiter and Inca 5000. I decided to go with the SmartMiter. The Miter gauge sled is Super Accurate. I can do any cut or any angle with a .5 degree step. Just lock it down and set it. The quick clamp is fast and works for hands off. This setup up saves me from having sleds all over my shop which I don't have room for. I ordered the SmartMiter instead of the Inca because I was afraid of dropping it on with all the parts hanging out. This is a no excuse Miter gauge sled and gauge if I don't get it right, I sure can't blame it on the equipment. I also made an extension for stop clamping and to keep everything on the same plane. I did not like the cost of $275.00, but I guess my time is worth something.
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/27563/10.jpg

Mike Lubin
07-07-2003, 8:22 AM
The Miter gauge sled is Super Accurate. I can do any cut or any angle with a 5 degree step.

Just to clarify what George said, the Smart Miter will do any angle in .5 degree steps. Wouldn't want anyone to get confused.

- Mike

Ken Salisbury
07-07-2003, 9:20 AM
Just to clarify what George said, the Smart Miter will do any angle in .5 degree steps. Wouldn't want anyone to get confused.

- Mike

Thanks Mike -- I wondered about that myself when I read it -- I have edited Mike's post and corrected the 5 degree to .5 degree.