PDA

View Full Version : Lost purse. Advice?

Michael Weber
12-28-2018, 2:47 PM
Well, not lost but rather left behind in the Denver airport. I've cancelled debit and credit cards and stopped payment on checks. Notified both United and Denver airport lost and found and contacted the folks we know that have an outstanding check to hold on to it until we get home. Besides a lot of cash there were all the ID's, gift cards, drivers license etc a wife might carry around. Is there anything else I need to do other than what has been done??? what a mess:(

Tom Bender
12-28-2018, 3:14 PM
Two things

1. Cool down and stop worrying

II Give your wife some comfort. (I assume it was her purse)

c. Hold onto a little faith in people, it may be returned, maybe soon and complete, maybe later and without cash. Most people are good.

Nike Nihiser
12-28-2018, 3:48 PM
Is her social security # on anything in that purse? If so let SS admin know.

Erik Loza
12-28-2018, 4:06 PM
Have faith. My Macbook was stolen at a local coffee shop over the summer. The fellow who bought it from the thief (not realizing it was stolen) called me and returned it. There are good people out there.

Erik

Paul F Franklin
12-28-2018, 6:59 PM
With luck it will be returned. I would consider filing a fraud alert with the credit bureaus, and freezing your credit. It is now free to freeze your credit. I think these days it makes sense to freeze your credit period, and deal with the hassle of unfreezing it on the few occasions you need to apply for a loan or mortgage. I would also check with the BMV to see if they have a procedure for reporting a lost/stolen drivers license. My wife had her wallet stolen once and while it is a hassle, it's not the end of the world.

Michael Weber
12-28-2018, 8:45 PM
Thanks. Just checking to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything obvious. Bit of a bad start to the trip to Oregon. More relaxed now. I could have sworn my wife of 44 years would have walked off without me before she would walk off without her purse. I could track the phone for a few hours until someone turned it off or the battery went dead. It did stay in the general area where she left it so maybe that's a good thing. Froze my credit a few years back and for some reason her SS card was the one thing she would not carry with her.

Pat Barry
12-29-2018, 11:53 AM
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Years and years ago my wifes purse was stolen out of our car while we were less than 50 ft away at a gravesite funeral during a bit of a rain. Our backs were to the car. Within 1/2 hour the thief was charging gas at a nearby station. Luckily we got the credit put on hold before too much damage. Of course the thiefs goy our address from her license and we had to change all our door locks, etc. Luckily nothing worse ever happened.

Perry Hilbert Jr
12-29-2018, 12:47 PM
I have often wondered why most women still carry purses. For the most part, My Mrs has stopped. She now has a pink "ladies's" wallet. that fits nicely in her pocket. It is smaller than my wallet. I have on occasion left my wallet on the bedroom dresser, but (knock on wood) never lost one. In this day and age, it isn't necessary to carry as much cash, a license, and a couple cards are all she really needs. Her phone has pictures of all the other cards and information she needs. It has double passwords to get anything out of her id file. I remember the days when my ex carried a purse the size of a foot locker and had enough in it to survive on a desert island for two months. Some of the things she carried were not used from decade to decade. And she lost her purse at least every two or three years. My Mrs. started carrying a wallet after she accidentally left her purse in a McDonalds. We realized it before we were a mile down the road and went back. not there. she only had one credit card and a checkbook, so it was relatively easy to stop everything. I did get my daughter and wife to keep emergency cash and keys hidden in their vehicles. Daughter's car can be opened with a key pad. She is forever losing her keys and the practice has come in handy for her a few times.

jared herbert
12-29-2018, 5:12 PM
Sad to say this seems to be all to common these days. My son in law had a coat with car keys etc in the pockets stolen at the Denver airport when he turned his back for less than a minute. He was waiting to get on a plane, walked up to the desk to ask a question of the attendant, came back and it was gone. Not ever recovered. This happened about 2 weeks ago, I know, a little more care would have avoided this but stuff happens.