PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted on rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander and bandsaw

Zac wingert
12-28-2018, 1:29 AM
I am considering buying the rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander, I think it’s EB 4424, to compliment my upcoming first bandsaw purchase. Probably a 14” model. The sander that’s $200 something at Home Depot.

I am getting the bandsaw mostly for cutting curves etc, rather than to resaw. The purpose of this inquiry is not about what bandsaw to get. It’s about the sander. Until now I use any combination of : drill press/ jigsaw/ flush trim bit in router/ beltsander clamped upside down, to deal with curves.

The reviews of the rigid sander on SMC and elsewhere seem to be ok for what it is. I’m dont have a fortune to spend. Does this seem to be an ok plan? Any suggestions?

Rich Engelhardt
12-28-2018, 4:36 AM
I like mine. I seldom use it, but, when I do use it it works as it's supposed to.
(sadly, "working like it should" - seems to be some sort of high praise these days when something performs it's function in life..)

Mike Cutler
12-28-2018, 4:38 AM
Sure, it sounds like a good plan.
You don't have to spend big$$$$ to make nice things, or do good work. While a dual sander like the Rigid wouldn't hold up in a production environment, for a guy in his home shop it's perfectly fine. It will probably do most everything you need it to do.
I've looked at that same sander from time to time, when I've been in the 'Borg.

Nick Decker
12-28-2018, 6:06 AM
I like mine fine, been using it for what you describe for several years. Sometimes wish the spindles were longer.

Tip: Resist the urge to press the work too hard into the spindles. A light touch takes longer but yields better results.

Matt Day
12-28-2018, 9:20 AM
As said, it’s a good little sander. I’ve had one for 3-4 years and don’t use it much but am happy to have it around. That said, I have a floor standing spindle sander and am looking for an edge sander so the Ridgid will be sold as soon as I find it. But without the bigger, more expensive machines the little Ridgid earns its keep.

Mike Weaver
12-28-2018, 9:54 AM
My brother has had the Rigid for a couple of years and likes it. It would certainly be on my short list for best value as a hobbyist.

-Mike

Bill Carey
12-28-2018, 11:14 AM
I had one for 3 years and used the hell out of it until the motor died. Until then it was a great little tool. Replaced it with a Wen, which appears to be the same unit sold by Grizzly and others. I went for the cheapest because I now view it as a disposable tool.
And the Wen is working fine after 6 months.

Nick Decker
12-28-2018, 11:30 AM
Unless something has changed, the Ridgid is guaranteed for life. Some hoops to jump through to register, but then you can dispose of it as many times as necessary. :)

glenn bradley
12-28-2018, 11:35 AM
I ran one for quite a while and for $200, it is hard to beat. It is a lightweight machine (about 40 pounds total IIRC) which make it easy to move from shelf to bench. Used within its intended range I think you would be very happy with it. My dad is still using my old one. Its been running nearly 10 years. I did use the LSA after about 2 years and they basically swapped the whole mechanism under the hood so I do not know what actually failed.

Jim Becker
12-28-2018, 12:13 PM
I'm using my OSS a lot more these days for small stuff coming off my CNC and even for the kitchen table projects I'm working on currently for sanding corners. Very handy to have and quite often "the right tool for the job". Mine is an old Delta, but the Rigid has been around for awhile and quite a few folks have commented on them in the past. The price is attractive, too. The 4.5" height that most of these bench-top units have covers most of the bases. And if you find that you use it "a lot", you can always move up to a "stout beast" floor model someday as some 'Creekers have recently done.

Van Huskey
12-28-2018, 7:05 PM
I had one for 3 years and used the hell out of it until the motor died. Until then it was a great little tool. Replaced it with a Wen, which appears to be the same unit sold by Grizzly and others. I went for the cheapest because I now view it as a disposable tool.
And the Wen is working fine after 6 months.

The step up that avoids the disposable issue is the ones that have oil bath gears. The cheapest way to get into them is the Rikon and Jet benchtops that run 400-500 bucks. The lightweight ones that are sold in a huge variety of shapes and colors do remarkably well for the price though.

Ralph Okonieski
12-28-2018, 7:11 PM
I’ve had the Rigid for quite a number of years now (do not remember how long but it has been a long time). I am very pleased with it; it has served me well.

Bryan Cramer
12-28-2018, 7:16 PM
By the way Grizzly has a spindle sander 12” disc sander combo. I have one and it’s a very versatile combination that works well for me. I don’t have a need for an edge sander. It might stretch the budget though. I was going to get a Rigid unit but the display model’s plastic housing was broke where the table mounted.

Van Huskey
12-28-2018, 7:30 PM
By the way Grizzly has a spindle sander 12” disc sander combo.

The one thing to be aware of when buying the G0529 is the plastic helical bevel gear on the spindle.

Frank Pratt
12-29-2018, 3:02 PM
I've had one for several years & it's had a lot of hard use. I think this sander is one of the best bang for the buck deals around.

Art Tripp
12-29-2018, 6:11 PM
I have the Ridgid sander and it is a great compliment to the bandsaw. I have the two tools directly across from each other for convenient access and it functions quite well with no problems encountered and seems to be a good value (though I think I saw recently that they had a recent price increase). I use a combination shop vac / dust deputy for dust collection (functions well) though at some point I may plumb it into my main DC system. If you don't have one, I would recommend and abrasive cleaning stick and it can do a good job of sander cleaning when needed.

Yonak Hawkins
12-29-2018, 8:48 PM
... used ... it until the motor died.

Isn't this under the Ridgid lifetime warranty ?

Bill Carey
12-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Isn't this under the Ridgid lifetime warranty ?

Probably. I should have looked into it, but was just pissed off and wanted to finish what I was working on. I would like to say that it was the first time my lack of patience has cost me something, but that would be a lie.

Art Mann
12-30-2018, 10:59 AM
I have had the Ridgid belt/spindle sander for about 15 years, as best I can remember. Even if it dies tomorrow, it will have been one of the best woodworking tool buys I ever made. If they still make them, I will go buy another one. It is not a heavy duty sander but it is extremely useful for the smaller projects I typically make. The only complaint I can think of is that the belt sander is smaller than I would like.

Cary Falk
12-30-2018, 11:25 AM
I will be the person to say that I hated my Ridgid Oscilating belt/spindle sander. The coating on the table rubbed off and the aluminum would marks on the wood. The belt never traked well. Spindle worked ok but too short form my use. I was happy to sell it and get a 6x89 edge sander and a floor standing OSS.

Dave Bender
12-30-2018, 11:59 AM
I had one of those many years ago. It seemed decent but when I took a detailed look at it it wasn't square. It was like the platen was slightly warped. It was OK for non-critical edge work but if I wanted something to remain square I as limited to one end of the machine and it was a PIA. I ended up selling it. I replaced it with the big, floor standing Grizzly OSS and a cheap 6x80 edge belt sander. They've been wonderful to use and have been a perfect addition to the shop.

Joe Spear
12-30-2018, 6:15 PM
I had one of those many years ago. It seemed decent but when I took a detailed look at it it wasn't square. It was like the platen was slightly warped. It was OK for non-critical edge work but if I wanted something to remain square I as limited to one end of the machine and it was a PIA. I ended up selling it. I replaced it with the big, floor standing Grizzly OSS and a cheap 6x80 edge belt sander. They've been wonderful to use and have been a perfect addition to the shop.

Cary and Dave, You may have gotten lemons. I've had my Rigid for about ten years. It is square, the belt has no trouble tracking, the platen is flat, and the table coating doesn't rub off. For the price, it is very good. Your new equipment is certainly better, but also a lot more costly altogether.

Yonak Hawkins
12-30-2018, 10:25 PM
I would like to say that it was the first time my lack of patience has cost me something, but that would be a lie.

I had a similar experience. I bought one that was a demonstrator tool, at half price. Part of the sales pitch was that, when it quit, I could get a new one under the lifetime warranty. When it did give out, I forgot and cannibalized it. My loss.