PDA

View Full Version : Roman Style HF Vase * SOLID EBONY *

Bill Stevener
12-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Hay Gang,
Just thought I would post this one, to try and entice all to join in with a turning for the Itsi Bitsi - Tini Wini Thread that's happening right now.
So, grab some chips, (not potato) slap em on the lathe, ull be surprised, it's not all that hard. Just put em big, big tools aside and join the fun.
Have fun,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

H= 0.666 :eek: W= 0.313 EBONY, Finish = hot fingers rub.

ps: lost the skew again.:confused:

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Good lookin' Bill.

Bruce

John Hart
12-02-2005, 6:27 AM
Another great one Bill! Hey, how do you get your focus so good? Is it the lighting? I had to fight with mine a bit

Dick Parr
12-02-2005, 6:54 AM
Very nice Bill !

Jim Becker
12-02-2005, 7:07 AM
Outstanding little form! Ebony is nice for these kind of things, too.

Jeremiah Jordan
12-02-2005, 7:51 AM
Fantastic Bill! I really like they ebony comes out, but I so do not like the way it turns. But my questions is, how much liquid can that vase hold? Thanks.

Jeremiah

John Miliunas
12-02-2005, 7:53 AM
That's it!!!!:mad: I give up!!!!:eek: Great looking form, Bill! Small HF with BIG eye appeal!:) :cool:

Kurt Forbes
12-02-2005, 10:52 AM
what do you use to make your little bitty tools ?

better yet can we get pictures of the tools?

Bill Stevener
12-02-2005, 1:04 PM
Another great one Bill! Hey, how do you get your focus so good? Is it the lighting? I had to fight with mine a bit

John, I think I have one of the first digie cameras presented for public use, it has auto focus and a mind of its own. It seems to focus on the most gleaming subject, in the case of the dime. I had a harder time with the photo than the turning. So I set out to find a very elaborate photo studio lighting set-up. Walla, a 2 cell "D" flashlight. Playing with the light some, so the camera would recognize the subject, has helped some, but not yet fully satisfied. However a note was left for Santa - the new digie cameras are so small now, one would fit just right in my stocking, which is hung with great care.

On another note, some have requested tool ideas. John's post on the Itty Bitty thread presents a good idea. One that also works are small spent drills, the chuck end can be dressed for fine turning tools, and handles turned for the same. Any number of small steal objects can be shaped in to small turning tools, with a handle applied. One thing for sure, you will not wear them out very fast.:D

One last note: Only 7 days left, give it a go, lets see what you can come up with, and remember -- "Bruce started this whole thing;) .

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Ketron
12-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Nice Job Bill!

Ernie Nyvall
12-02-2005, 10:42 PM
That's really something Bill. I'll have to give her a try this weekend.

Ernie

Mark Cothren
12-02-2005, 10:45 PM
That's a good one! No way I could do something that small on purpose...:eek:

Dennis Peacock
12-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Ok, I give up Bill....WHAT is the world are you turning these with? ALL of my turning tools are a LOT bigger than all these little-bitty turnings you are posting. Inquiring minds want to know.:confused:

John Nicholas
12-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Bill,

That is a great Ebony piece. I like it.

The idea of the camera focusing on the shiney dime is a good one.

But - I have to see what comes from this.

:)

Bill Stevener
12-03-2005, 1:14 AM
Dennis, On big lathes you can turn small things. On small lathes you can not turn big things. Big lathes take big tools for big things. But small things take small tools. One must make there own. Nothing real fancy, but sharp. All sandpapper must be new and clean, no 80G gouge stuff. One major word of caution, a CATCH, they just don't work out :eek: . I knew you new this, but I just thought I would take up some space:D .

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)