PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for the kids...

Scott Brader
12-26-2018, 3:31 PM
Shop time is my therapy time! I decided to build something for each of the kids this year. I made a cutting board for my Worship Pastor son, recipe boxes for my daughters-in-law and a puzzle box for my other son. Fun times!!!

Show off your Christmas Gift Builds!

Joe A Faulkner
12-26-2018, 11:16 PM
Very nice. I especially like the cutting board.

Mel Fulks
12-26-2018, 11:28 PM
Scott, good stuff! But I'm baffled by the piano cutting board. Are those black keys flush with the rest of the board? If not
how does one clean it?

Scott Brader
12-27-2018, 8:50 AM
Scott, good stuff! But I'm baffled by the piano cutting board. Are those black keys flush with the rest of the board? If not
how does one clean it?

Mel,
It is perfectly flat when finished (after a lot of card scraping and sanding, that is). It was actually much easier than it looks; albeit with a lot of glue-up steps. The keys are made by gluing long pieces of black veneer between pieces of maple and again between pieces of walnut. They are then cut to length with a couple of additional cuts to create an beveled pocket in each that is filled with a piece of end grain walnut as shown below.

The individual keys are glued up into two sub assemblies separating the long white keys and short white keys. The sub assemblies are then glued together in order to create the keyboard effect.

I got the plans from woodstore.net. They were easy to follow and very complete.

Scott