PDA

View Full Version : Rikon lathe clicking noise - solved

Roger Douglas
12-25-2018, 10:34 PM
I unboxed and set up my new Rikon 70-220VSR lathe today. Turned it on to hear a clicking noise. Read some threads and went back to check set screws and what not. Still clicked. I loosen the belt and turned the shaft by hand and could still hear a faint click on ever revolution. Read some more threads and went out again to check the speed sensor.

I noticed on the slotted plate that one side of one of the slots was bent outward just a bit. Took a pair on needle nosed pliers and bent it back level with the plate. No more clicking. The slight outward bend was apparently enough to contact the speed sensor on every pass. Luckily it was not bearings or worse.

Just for future reference if this pops up in a search.

roger williams
12-26-2018, 5:24 AM
I have the same lathe, after setting mine up after unboxing it had same noise. I checked all the same and finally found that mine lathe had the same problem, been trouble free now for 1-1/2 yrs, love it

Ray Labelle
04-24-2023, 5:41 PM
I have the same lathe, after setting mine up after unboxing it had same noise. I checked all the same and finally found that mine lathe had the same problem, been trouble free now for 1-1/2 yrs, love it

Same lathe but mine the spindle set screw needed to be tighten by 1/8 of a turn