PDA

View Full Version : Acme Tools Twin Cities

Brian Shutter
12-01-2005, 9:42 PM
I stopped in to the new Acme Tools (which, I believe, is a part of Tool Crib of the North). Very nice store with a LOT of big tools. Lots of big planers and jointers and table saws. Lots of DeWalt, Milwaukee, Hitachi, Senco products hanging on the walls.

Bessey, Jorgenson, and Jet(?) K-body clamps. Didn't see many routers but I may have missed an aisle or two.

What caught my eye right off the bat were the Delta DJ-20 and a General 15 inch stationary planer. They had a couple other big planers and jointers too. They also carry Powermatic.

I didn't have too much time to look closely enough to compare prices because I had my kids with me but it sure was a lot of fun.

Anyway, if you're interested, it's located at the corner of 494 and Rockford Road. They share a building with Hom Furniture. They're open till 5:30 on weeknights and Saturday hours are ~8:00-3:00.

No affiliation I just like to look at big machines.

BTW even after spending 20 minutes in the building nobody asked if they could help me find anything. I don't know if that's good or bad. Just an observation.

Brian

Rick Schubert
12-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Brian,

Thanks for the report. I saw an ad somewhere and wondered what the new store was about. I'll stop in when I'm in the cities in a couple weeks.

I love to drool on big tools.

Rick

Bruce Haugen
12-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Acme Electric used to own Tool Crib, actually, they went by the title, Acme Electric - Tool Crib of the North. They went national mail order in the mid-80's and eventually sold the Tool Crib part to Amazon.com.

The best store of all was the Acme store in Bismarck, ND. It was three blocks from my home, and while it was much smaller than the one in Fargo or Grand Forks, ND (and I'm certain smaller than the Plymouth store) everyone in the place knew me by name. I'm not sure if that's a good thing ;) Certainly, my wife didn't think so.

The Plymouth store will be very good, but then it will need to be to compete with Seven Corners Hardware in St. Paul. Seven Corners is probably 20 miles further for me, but it is such a wonderful place to shop, it's hard to describe or compare.

Bruce

Tyler Howell
12-02-2005, 8:22 AM
Thanks for the info. I got their catalog. Some good stuff. Quick glance looked like prices were a bit higher than Tool crib.