PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1624 motor

Justin Pawlowski
12-24-2018, 1:30 PM
I have a Nova 1624 that I have used very little and while turning a bowl a couple weeks ago the shaft twisted off. Teknatool support seems to be avoiding me. But I’m wondering if I can replace the shaft or do I need to replace the whole motor. If the latter is the case is there a cheaper motor that would fit this lathe? Replament motor is close to $500 so if that’s the case I’ll just save for the DVR upgrade. If anyone has gone through the upgrade and has a used motor for sale please let me know. Also what would cause a shaft to twist off?399458

Dennis Ford
12-24-2018, 1:44 PM
You will have to replace the motor but may not have to buy it from Teknatool. Some lathes use a special motor and some use standard motors. Look at the nameplate for these items:
* rpm (probably 1750 +-)
* Frame size (two or three numbers and possibly some letters)
* HP
If you can find a motor with the same frame size and about the same rpm, it will work. You probably want a motor with the same HP rating but this not critical to replacement. Frame size covers mounting bolt location, shaft size, shaft length etc.

Yathin Krishnappa
12-24-2018, 2:00 PM
Justin, where are you located? I have a spare Nova 1624 motor, but shipping costs might be too much.

Yathin Krishnappa
12-24-2018, 2:03 PM
Also, someone was recently selling a DVR motor for $350 in the classifieds. Not sure if they still have it.

Chris A Lawrence
12-24-2018, 2:30 PM
If you have a place that rebuilds electric motors in your area it might be worth checking with them and seeing if it can be rebuilt.

Justin Pawlowski
12-24-2018, 4:42 PM
Justin, where are you located? I have a spare Nova 1624 motor, but shipping costs might be too much.
I’m located in SE IA

Allan Ferguson
12-24-2018, 5:49 PM
I have the motor you need. Did an up grade several years ago. In good running order. Located in eastern Washington. You may have had excessive belt pressure . PM me for more info.

Yathin Krishnappa
12-24-2018, 6:59 PM
Looks like around $50 to ship from NY for a zip in SE IA (I just used a zip from Iowa city). I'm back home on the 1st, so I can only ship next week. If you're interested then please PM me and we can discuss.

Yathin Krishnappa
01-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Looks like I cannot reply to your PM because of recent changes to membership privileges. If you choose to become a contributor, I'll be happy to discount the price of the motor by whatever amount you pay to become a contributor...

Justin Pawlowski
01-11-2019, 9:50 PM
You can message me on my cell at 712-870-1542. It’s much easier to get ahold of me. I find myself on here only on the weekends. I’m usually up at 2:30 leave for work around 3 and get home between 6+7 so I don’t have free time except for the weekends