PDA

View Full Version : My new workbench

Donnie Raines
12-01-2005, 9:11 PM
Well....my standard in taking photo's has presented it's self again.....and that is poor quailty. I don't like tooting my own horn...but this thing came together just as I had hope it would. The bench is not very big....about 6 foot long by 23 inchs deep. It stands about belly button high. I used cherry and quilted mapke for the top and hard maple and quilted maple for the carcass and dawer fronts. The drawer sides are built of qtr sawn curly sassfrass. I have not organized the drawers at this point...but I will.

The frame is full mortise and tenon with pocket holes(hand cut...:rolleyes:) for some points of the drawer runners. I have only applied one coat of danish oil and I will apply another two or three. At the left side I installed a "holder" for hand tool work.....smoothing and things of that nature. I have never really needed a big vise so I used this little Groz that I have had laying around. Thanks for looking.

Oh...as for the date in the pix....I could never get that to change(cheap camera).

David Fried
12-01-2005, 9:27 PM
Donnie,

Glanced at the title and first picture. Thought there was a mistake - that's a nice dresser! Very nice!! Nice choice of wood. The matching vise jaws are really sweet. Use it and enjoy it!

Dave Fried

Tom Pritchard
12-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Donnie, that is a great looking bench! Plenty of storage space, which is always a big plus! Just curious, how high is the benchtop?

Matthew Poeller
12-01-2005, 10:14 PM
I agree. That is a very nice "dresser". That would look too nice to go into my shop that is for sure.

Are you planning a designer only shop or something.

Again, just, WOW>

Rick Schubert
12-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Donnie,

I saw the first picture and thought the same as David. If you ever get out of woodworking you can move it into your bedroom. Nice job. I need to build one for myself but keep putting it off. Enjoy it and get it dirty!!

Rick

Jay Knepper
12-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Quilted maple drawer fronts, 'eh? Now that's what I call conspicuous consumption. Ya did good, boy.

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2005, 12:42 AM
Donnie that is not a bench that could go in my bedroom as a dresser. My lovely wife probably wouldn't let me use that for a bench. That is one mighty fine looking bench.

John Bailey
12-02-2005, 4:57 AM
Donnie,

I've seen worse looking formal dining tables. Nice job!!

John

Vaughn McMillan
12-02-2005, 5:22 AM
Donnie, if that's a workbench, I can only imagine what the cabinets in your house must look like. ;) Real nice work. I envy you guys who have nice hardwoods like that available at a price where they can be used for shop projects.

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
12-02-2005, 6:50 AM
Very nice, Donnie. Does the job and looks really great, too! Nice combination.

John Hart
12-02-2005, 6:54 AM
Now Donnie...That is EXACTLY what I envision for Benches in my shop!....someday....maybe :o

Nice work!

Jeff Sudmeier
12-02-2005, 8:09 AM
Wow! Now that is a sweet bench Donnie! If I built something like that for the shop, LOML would kill me....

Maybe someday when I get caught up on the "List" :)

Donnie Raines
12-02-2005, 9:15 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

I was a little gun shy at first on useing the quilted...granted I have lots more...but I wanted something with nice figure to look at when I was in the shop. The color diffrence you see in the pix is not as evident when you view in person.....again that my cheap camera talking.

I don't recall the exact height if the bench....but I am 6 foot tall and it comes to my belly button....:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2005, 9:28 AM
Donnie....beautiful bench! I will NOT be showing this to my wife as I can tell you she wouldn't allow me to spend the kind of money that wood would cost in our hardwood deprived area!

tod evans
12-02-2005, 9:28 AM
nice bench donnie!

Rich Torino
12-02-2005, 9:34 AM
This is going to be kept in the dinning room right??
Great looking bench....

Tyler Howell
12-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Don't scratch it or get any gunk on that piece of fine furniture.
Very nice Donnie

Donnie Raines
12-02-2005, 2:12 PM
Don't scratch it or get any gunk on that piece of fine furniture.
Very nice Donnie
No glue or other stuff will get to this bench. Only hand tool work will be done on this one.....my other bench will see all the dirty work.:cool:

Chris Rosenberger
12-02-2005, 3:03 PM
Very Nice. I would be afraid to use it.

John Miliunas
12-02-2005, 3:11 PM
Why is it your shop furniture looks better than the stuff I have in my house????:confused: Very, very nice, Donnie. I don't know where you get your stock of figured stuff from but, I sure do wish I had a load of it around here!:) Great looking bench!:) :cool:

Donnie Raines
12-02-2005, 3:40 PM
Why is it your shop furniture looks better than the stuff I have in my house????:confused: Very, very nice, Donnie. I don't know where you get your stock of figured stuff from but, I sure do wish I had a load of it around here!:) Great looking bench!:) :cool:

Thank ya sir for those kind words.

I wish I could tell where the wood comes from...but then I would need to....wellllllll.....you no the rest.

Actually this was an odd buy for me. I puchased an entire stack of stuff from a guy that called me. I have plenty of quilted to last me a while.:p :)

Mark Stutz
12-02-2005, 6:19 PM
Great looking bench, Donnie! I agree with your philosophy of having nice things to look at while in the shop. Well done.

Vaughn McMillan
12-02-2005, 6:21 PM
Great looking bench, Donnie! I agree with your philosophy of having nice things to look at while in the shop. Well done.
That right there is why I have no mirrors in my shop. :D

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
12-02-2005, 9:09 PM
Wow! Nice bench Donnie!

Corey

Mark Stutz
12-02-2005, 10:27 PM
That right there is why I have no mirrors in my shop. :D

- Vaughn
LOL:D :eek:

Norman Gallaher
12-15-2005, 8:03 PM
Mine is built out of 2 x 6 and MDF. Not worth taking a pic of

Norm:cool:

Jason Tuinstra
12-15-2005, 8:45 PM
Donnie, sorry I've been a bit AWOL lately, but I'm sure glad I didn't miss this one. What a great looking bench! It has a nice Hancock Shaker Villiage look to it. And as always, we can count on you to put that wierd looking wood to good use :p I'm sure this thing is rock solid! Thanks for showing it off.

Dennis McDonaugh
12-15-2005, 8:55 PM
Nice looking bench Donnie. I especially like the quilted maple.

Jack Diemer
12-15-2005, 9:13 PM
Curly wood for vice jaws. You should be shot.

Anthony Anderson
12-15-2005, 9:19 PM
You have just raised the bar for my bedroom dressers...If I ever find the time to build them. Beautiful work Donnie. Bill

Martin Shupe
12-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Wow! Donnie, that is some bench! Can you show us the curly sassafras drawer sides? Excellent job, as expected.

Donnie Raines
12-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Curly wood for vice jaws. You should be shot.

Those were my cut off's....:D :cool:

Donnie Raines
12-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Wow! Donnie, that is some bench! Can you show us the curly sassafras drawer sides? Excellent job, as expected.

Hi martin,

No photos of the drawer sides. It looks just like the stock I used on my router table and cabinet.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26476

take a look at the side of the router table.

Donnie Raines
12-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Donnie, sorry I've been a bit AWOL lately, but I'm sure glad I didn't miss this one. What a great looking bench! It has a nice Hancock Shaker Villiage look to it. And as always, we can count on you to put that wierd looking wood to good use :p I'm sure this thing is rock solid! Thanks for showing it off.

I figured I would use all this funky stuff on this....don't won't to mix it in with the good stuff.:cool: :D