View Full Version : A New System of Joinery

Jim Koepke
12-23-2018, 7:57 PM
Not sure it will catch on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo-rN2dWE2g

jtk

Mark Rainey
12-23-2018, 8:28 PM
Will this replace the live edge style Jim?

Simon MacGowen
12-23-2018, 8:59 PM
IKEA is soon to be in trouble!:D

Simon

Hasin Haroon
12-23-2018, 9:04 PM
Terribly ugly, but I suppose every innovation has to start somewhere. Who knows, someone may refine this and it may become all the rage like those epoxy river tables that are all over youtube and instagram.

brian zawatsky
12-23-2018, 9:20 PM
There’s already a name for that style. Garbage.

Steven Mikes
12-23-2018, 10:59 PM
Anything that gets people to pick up trash is good in my book.

Derek Cohen
12-23-2018, 11:14 PM
Not sure it will catch on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo-rN2dWE2g

jtk

Jim, that's brilliant!!

Not fine furniture, but there's so many other applications.

Thanks for posting. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Eric Rathhaus
12-23-2018, 11:58 PM
So basically it's the heat shrinking electricians use with recycled material. Very cool re purposing. I also think she wasn't trying to make it look nice. She wanted to show her ability to use all kinds of cast off materials to make functional furniture.

Jim Koepke
12-24-2018, 12:14 AM
It would likely fit right in with the cable spool tables and cinder block book and record shelves many college students used back in the '60s & '70s.

jtk

Van Huskey
12-24-2018, 2:06 AM
The concept is actually quite brilliant. I have to try that at some point to see of solid they are, I can't think of a use for it now but one never knows.

Larry Frank
12-24-2018, 7:22 AM
Not pretty but maybe a way to make knick down furniture or such.

Prashun Patel
12-24-2018, 7:48 AM
Brilliant. I look forward to the second part of this when someone finds a way to make it cleverly aesthetic.

William Fretwell
12-24-2018, 8:04 AM
Went to my X-brother in laws exhibition at the RCA, I see not much has changed.

Yathin Krishnappa
12-24-2018, 8:34 AM
Looks functional and innovative. However, it's definitely not the kind of style that I'd like to try or have around me.

Brian Holcombe
12-24-2018, 9:50 AM
Wood moves, so I expect that those joints will either shrink and loosen or expand and crack. Wooden joinery has been around for longer than civilization because it works well, wood moves with wood so long as their rate of movement are in the same direction and similar. That is the reason why Egyptian furniture still exists and why the Forbidden city’s many temples do not wobble and fall over.

scott lipscomb
12-24-2018, 11:31 AM
Thats really cool. I did not know that pet plastic is heat shrink. Thanks to Jim and Ms. Pedros for showing that to me. I am quite certain that it will become handy for something, at some point...(not woodworking, though, I am pretty sure).

steven c newman
12-24-2018, 11:58 AM
Spent 8 yrs, making Pepsico Bottles from PET.....Injection molding machine, making preforms....that were then reheated, and blow-molded into a bottle shape....

Van Huskey
12-25-2018, 9:29 AM
Spent 8 yrs, making Pepsico Bottles from PET.....Injection molding machine, making preforms....that were then reheated, and blow-molded into a bottle shape....

When I was a kid my best friend's father worked for a company that made some of the first 64oz (not 2L then) bottle. The preform? looked like a large test tube with the fully formed full sized screw tops at the top. Do they still look this way?

steven c newman
12-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Yep....even the water bottle ones...and even the 3Litre ones. Machines were made in Canada...Husky. Then cooled for at least 24 hrs, then ran on a French made SIDEL Blowmolder.....The company I worked for re-designed the large bottles, so the black plastic "feet" were no longer needed...

Any and all rejects were also ground up, and added back into the systems...

There was at least one preform machine...cycle times were 10-12 seconds...144 parts.

Bill Houghton
12-25-2018, 2:06 PM
If only Benjamin Braddock had known, he wouldn't have wasted his time driving back and forth across the S.F. Bay Bridge (in the wrong direction some of the time) chasing Elaine, and made his fortune in plastics. Then she'd have been chasing him.

It was always hard for me to feel much sympathy for him as a poor, lost soul, considering the car he was driving back and forth; the lad came up in money. I know, even the rich can suffer; but there's a whole different suffering when you're broke.

Jim Foster
12-28-2018, 11:50 AM
This is a great example of an innovative idea! Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

phil harold
12-28-2018, 11:48 PM
I am thinking of possible use of clamping irregular pieces while gluing...

Edwin Santos
01-01-2019, 1:12 PM
Brilliant. I look forward to the second part of this when someone finds a way to make it cleverly aesthetic.

See the link below for Part II where this Scottish maker is using a more refined version of the joinery for his 3D printed furniture designs. Very interesting

https://ultimaker.com/en/stories/34884-3d-printing-in-furniture-design

Edwin

Jim Koepke
01-01-2019, 1:52 PM
See the link below for Part II where this Scottish maker is using a more refined version of the joinery for his 3D printed furniture designs. Very interesting

https://ultimaker.com/en/stories/34884-3d-printing-in-furniture-design

Edwin

The furniture made with recycled bottles may be more aesthetically pleasing to some folks than the pieces with 3D printed parts.

Maybe the big box stores could have the joinery pieces molded in China, then sell home furniture kits.

jtk

al heitz
01-05-2019, 9:49 AM
A real "MacGyver." Good for a lot of emergency situations.

Frederick Skelly
01-05-2019, 10:19 AM
I don't consider myself a "Green", but I really like ideas that re-purpose things rather than throw them away. This joinery obviously isn't fine craftsmanship, but I think it's extremely clever and usable for things that need to be functional but not attractive. I also like one of the other suggestions here to use it as a temporary way to hold parts in place.

This was cool Jim. Thank you!
Fred

Tom Bender
01-06-2019, 7:00 PM
Just recently China reduced the amount of plastic they were taking from the US from 50% of our waste stream to maybe 10%. This means that a lot will go to landfill or fires or worse. We should applaud this inventive use and try to think up new ones.

This method would work to assemble temporary garden structures; fences, plant supports, bird proof shelter etc.

steven c newman
01-06-2019, 8:21 PM
The company I retired from a few years back....has a plant up in Medina, OH. All recycled plastic bottles were shipped there....they sort, grind, and package the plastic back up....and sell the "regrind" for use in new bottles. Most of the Pepsico Products I made were 70% Virgin, 30% regrind.....even the colours were partly regrind. Ever see thin blue streaks in a Mountain Dew bottle? Regrind from the blue Propel bottles were blended into the green regrind....