PDA

View Full Version : suggestions...input

Steve Ash
12-01-2005, 8:48 PM
My oldest son has been seeing a very nice girl and she might be sticking around for a while longer than most of them have. I'd like to make her something somewhat simple (since it's getting close to Christmas, time is key) but useable for her as a present.
The last time he got serious (6 years ago) I bought a bunch of cherry to make a hopechest for the young lady (had more time then)...they broke up and I used the wood for my bar....so that's why I want to build something nice...but simple.....ideas?

lou sansone
12-01-2005, 9:00 PM
need a little more info.. age, area of interests, domesticated or still ordering out for food.. ect.
lou

Steve Ash
12-01-2005, 9:07 PM
more info.....21 years old, Caucasian,very mature, college student majoring in Spanish, wants to be a H.S. spanish teacher or translator for a company, lives with parents, 5'8, brown hair, very pretty but not flashy, down to earth, is grateful for anything anyone does for her.....

lou sansone
12-01-2005, 9:16 PM
well how about this mirror. They are fun to build and look great.

If you need a care package of wood let me know..

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22469

lou

Tom Pritchard
12-01-2005, 10:04 PM
A couple years ago I helped my son build a little cherry jewelry box for his girlfriend. She loved the box, and I figured he could give her stuff to put in it as time went on.

Jay Knepper
12-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Hope for the best, but do pick a wood that you like...

Dale Thompson
12-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Steve,
Instead of making something, you may want to look at the following link. A nice bracelet, written in Spanish may be appropriate. Don't ask me what the words mean but I'm sure that they say something nice without being committal: http://www.costumejewelrywholesale.com/page-40.html

Just a thought. Good luck. :)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
12-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Steve, have a bandsaw? Ever do a bandsaw box? More unique than your run of the mill square boxes, doesn't take a lot of wood and doesn't tie up a lot of your time. :) :cool:

Gail O'Rourke
12-01-2005, 11:12 PM
I like the mirror idea, or a small clock, that has a little secret compartment..to hold something special.

Vaughn McMillan
12-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Along the lines of Lou's suggestion, 20 or so years ago I made my sister a wooden hand mirror with a 5" or 6" round mirror. Real simple, stained pine, as I recall, with a curvy hand-shaped handle. She still uses it to this day. Quick to make, but with nice wood it could become an heirloom.

- Vaughn

Ken Shoemaker
12-02-2005, 4:34 AM
I have a PDF from PLANSNOW.co for a small mantel clock seen in a not to distant post. It has a small dawer in the bottom.

It looks like it should be quick and easy. The right selection of wood would really make it special.

PM me if you'd like a look. I'd be glad to send it to you.

Ken

Mike Cutler
12-02-2005, 5:34 AM
How about a small portable writing desk, that she could place on her lap for use.
Sort of the original "Laptop Notebook" from 300 years ago.

Jim Becker
12-02-2005, 6:52 AM
Bandsaw box gets my vote, too...

John Hart
12-02-2005, 7:00 AM
Clocks. Steve, I've had very good success at happiness my making small desktop and miniature mantel clocks. They are small, classy and are daily reminders of pleasant times. Seiko makes some very attractive inserts that can be incorporated into just about any design...including some of these other great ideas. I buy them by the dozen.

Steve Ash
12-02-2005, 7:49 AM
Thanks for your input so far guys, nice ideas. Like the bracelet idea too.
Just a couple more things, the wood most likely will be Ash (imagine that) so she always remembers me even if they do break up, and I do have a bandsaw. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming, I won't be starting it until Monday.

John Miliunas
12-02-2005, 7:55 AM
I kinda' like the clock suggestions several folks mention. Seeing as to how you have a BS, how about something super-unique? A bandsaw box incoprorated with a small timepiece???:) :cool:

Rob Littleton
12-03-2005, 9:43 PM
Bandsaw box gets my vote, too...

I vote the bandsaw box too..........Jim sort out that AVATAR dude !!!!! For some reason, I cant take you serious.............hahahahaha:D

Rob Littleton
12-03-2005, 9:45 PM
is grateful for anything anyone does for her.....

Steve, find out if she has any "religeous" preferences. A bible box is always a nice keepsake.

Dale Thompson
12-03-2005, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=John Miliunas] BS,

Sir Spring,
As a Moderator, you will have to learn to control your language. :eek:

One other thing, why do Moderators like you and Jim have to hide behind false hair? :confused: You guys had better stay away from your dust collectors or you will lose your mustache and Jim will be sans his suave hairpiece. :D :) The white "finger paste" that they use in pre-school is limited in terms of its tensile strength. ;) :)

Dale T.

Steve Clardy
12-04-2005, 12:01 PM
[quote=John Miliunas] BS,

Sir Spring,

One other thing, why do Moderators like you and Jim have to hide behind false hair? :confused: You guys had better stay away from your dust collectors or you will lose your mustache and Jim will be sans his suave hairpiece. :D :) The white "finger paste" that they use in pre-school is limited in terms of its tensile strength. ;) :)

Dale T.

:D :D :D

John Miliunas
12-04-2005, 12:34 PM
[quote=John Miliunas] BS,

Sir Spring,

Dale T.

And there he goes with the "Sir" garbage again!!!:mad: You wanna' see language, you just keep that up, Pesh!:p Just watchit or I'll get some of my old, hippie friends to pay you a vist! They may have a hard time getting out of the nursing home for a day, but if they do, George just got a new cane and Fred will come at you with his motorized wheelchair!!! :D :cool: