PDA

View Full Version : Well I now have a 6x48 Edge Sander

Scott Coffelt
12-01-2005, 8:40 PM
Thanks to Wes Billups in Nebraska, I drove up last weekend in the rain to Nebraska City to pick this baby up. A little over half a day trip. I have a small shop but wanted an edge sander to round out the stable. As with most of my tools, I will build a cabinet base for it (instead of the standard stand not pictured). I will be able to have mobility and storage space for sand paper and stuff. I gave the sander a good cleaning and a new belt. For short term fix, I sprayed the cast iron top with top coat. I will eventually clean that off and apply paste wax. It was missing the dust shroud, but I will manufacture something to attach to a 4" hose. This thing sure is heavy for it's small size. I didn't expect the belt to rate and lay flat, but it does so it's an added bonus. I would have loved to have space for a 6x89 but that ain't happening, so this was exactly what I was looking for. It is a Woodtek brand.

Anyways, thought I should post a pic of my addition.

Alan Turner
12-01-2005, 8:50 PM
Scott,
Nice find. I have a 6x89 Woodtek, and made a table for it that hangs off the end opposite the motor so that I could use the pulley as a spindle sander. Mill yourself a wooden "t" track, and attach it to a piece of plywood or malamine that is shaped to hook around the pulley. Two for one, so to speak. A bolt and t-nut through the homemade "T" track holds it firm.
Enjoy.

Scott Coffelt
12-01-2005, 9:12 PM
I also plan on making the wrap around table as you have. Thanks for the advice.

Steve Roxberg
12-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Nice looking machine. I should have had you pick up some wood for me while you were up north.

Steve Clardy
12-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Yes. I made a wrap around table for my jet 6x89. Attached to the miter slide groove. Dust collection isn't too great in using it though. Too far from the dust port.