PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade

Dennis Ford
12-22-2018, 9:12 PM
I just did an upgrade on my old home built CNC machine after the obsolete computer died. I was using a parallel port with MACH 3, replaced with a brick style computer and a Centroid Acron controller. The Centroid software seems pretty nice.

Jim Becker
12-23-2018, 9:20 AM
From what I've been able to glean from reading Gary's comments about Acorn, etc., that's a great upgrade for your system and should kick things up a few notches! He had a machine at the Aspire Camp in the spring with that very setup, if I'm remembering correctly. The tiny computer is cute...and functional, too. Congrats!

bobby milam
12-23-2018, 1:01 PM
Cool. I've been swapping my Mach3 over to Acorn also but I am an electronics dummy and it is taking me much longer than it should. It should really be nice when I get it finished.

Steven Wayne
12-30-2018, 1:07 PM
I'm really happy I converted my CNC router to Centroid Acorn. It's a much better machine because of it!

Jim Becker
12-30-2018, 4:41 PM
I'm really happy I converted my CNC router to Centroid Acorn. It's a much better machine because of it!
I'm sure it's a big step forward in many ways to go from a competent, but much older system to more current code and capabilities.

Steven Wayne
12-30-2018, 4:57 PM
I'm sure it's a big step forward in many ways to go from a competent, but much older system to more current code and capabilities.

I had nothing but problems with the XHC USB motion controler/Mach3 combo. I ruined a lot of carbide and material due to it's instabilities and moodiness. I haven't had one glitch with Centroid. And, it has all of the features a mature control has. Most notably to me is the probing, offsets, etc. Mach has those features, but it was far from intuitive or reliable. I'm obviously happy with it.

Dennis Ford
12-30-2018, 8:01 PM
I did not have too much trouble with MACH3 and a parallel port but Acorn by Centroid is a lot more capable and works with modern computers. Really glad that I choose this upgrade path.