PDA

View Full Version : Setting up an old Jet 20" four post planer

Steven Wayne
12-22-2018, 7:43 PM
I bought an Jet 20" planer 4-5 years ago with the intention of getting it setup for my hobby wood working. I have a rather well equipped wood shop for my custom upholstery business. When I have time, I enjoy making boxes, furniture and such. A few years ago I installed a Byrd Shelix head. Since then I've tried to feed a board or two and something wasn't quite right. I have a small box I want to make for a Christmas gift, so I got to sorting out the planer adjustments. After doing some reading I ordered Grizzly's Rotacator. It was the tool I needed to get things going. I now have the infeed roller at 0.040 below dead center and the outfeed at 0.020 below. It's feeding much better. I also ordered an infeed and outfeed table from Grizzly to replace the single rollers the planer came with. I expected a bit of work ahead of me because the bed casting doesn't have the needed holes.
One of the tables got here a couple days ago. After I had the first mounting hole drilled and tapped I realized the bed casting vertical wasn't a right angle to the bed.

The angle measured right about 3 degrees. This morning I made a 3 degree shim out of 1/8" sheet aluminum on my router. I used a "shield" that is common in interior/car audio fabrication. I set the shield to 3 degrees, at attached the aluminum to a sacrificial piece of 1/4" acrylic and that to the shield. I use Kent Automotive's blue tape. This stuff isn't affected by WD-40 (which I use as a lubricant) and it doesn't let go.

I raised the flush trim bit 3/16" at a time as I started to cut the angle.

This method works well and creates a very nice finish. This is the completed shim:

I bought a 50" straight edge from Taylor Tool on Amazon. They advertise 0.003" over 50". Good enough to get this table adjusted. I think it turned out well. All told I'm still under half of what a new planer would have cost.

I have no idea why my photos are rotated 90, or how to fix.. [edit] fixed.

Steven Wayne
12-23-2018, 1:18 PM
Finished the dust collection connection this morning. Planer is working really well. I am not seeing any snipe. I have the bed rollers set to ~0.002" above the bed and that seems to be the recommended setting.

This is fresh out of the planer. Ready for a last minute xmas gift.

Kim Gibbens
12-23-2018, 1:49 PM
I have an older Jet 15" that has the crappy one roller infeed/outfeed tables, and would love to have ones like you put on. Do you by chance have a link or description to help me navigate the Grizzly site to find them? You set up looks nice. I have a problem with snipe so it doesn't get used like it should, thinking these might help some.

Steven Wayne
12-23-2018, 2:06 PM
I dialed the snipe out before I installed the infeed table for the last time. Grizzyly has a great video on how to adjust these four post planers. I used Grizzly's Rotocator and am very happy with it. I tried the Bob Vaughn video that is often linked in these conversations and never got it dialed in. My indicator mounts never turned out right. The other thing I did was buy a 50" precision straight edge (Taylor Toolworks on Amazon for about $50).

As far as the tables go, my planer's bed is not tapped for these. If your's isn't you'll need to be prepared to handle this - accurately locate and tap the holes (easy with a transfer punch set), and make an alignment shim or something similar. To find the tables, I went to the parts list for Grizzly's current 20" planers of similar design to mine. I ordered two different tables because they only had one of each in stock. I also bought the adjustment set screws from Grizzly so I didn't have to source them locally. I had mounting hardware on hand. I have one more table to mount along with a Wixey DRO.

Grizzly has a parts list link on each product's web page and you can get the part number from there. They call them "extension wing" in the parts lists I used.

Steven Wayne
12-23-2018, 4:00 PM
Cleaned the bed. I use a 3" velcro disc in my right angle drill to hold onto grey scotchbrite with WD-40 as a lubricant/cleaner. This has worked well for me for years on cast iron surfaces.

Degrease with Acrysol and apply Top Coat. Works great and the surfaces is super smooth and slippery.

Steven Wayne
12-24-2018, 1:27 PM
The second extension wing arrived today. The first one (green, already installed) is for the 1033X planer. Shipping weight was 26 lbs, shipped in a cardboard box, in a cardboard box. Second (white in color) is for the G0454. Shipping weight was 52 pounds, shipped in a cardboard box, in a wood box, in a cardboard box. Both are nice parts. The second cost about $30 more. Grizzly's shipping prices for these was super low. All in all, very nice upgrade. I hope to have time to get the second installed soon, along with the Wixey DRO.