PDA

View Full Version : Lasering glass

Alan Young
12-01-2005, 8:13 PM
<!--StartFragment -->I have read that the laser is not the best way to etch glass. I was trying to do a couple of award plaques on glass that I bought. The awards catalog said it was laserable but did not explain it any more. The problem is it is not very opaque. Would several passes at a lower power be better than one at a higher power. I was using 80s and 70p and was getting so so results.

Alan

Laura Zaruba
12-01-2005, 8:20 PM
Hi Alan!

I have a 35 watt machine and run at 30S and 100P. I usually put a wet paper towel over the glass before I laser and that helps a lot too.

Hope that helps!

Mark Plotkin
12-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Alan,

I have been lasering glass and it comes out okay at best even with the wet newspaper or dishwashing soap applied to it. I just got a sandblaster and a large compressor. I am using Laser Tape on the glass. I just ran some samples on two wine glasses one at 300dpi and one at 600dpi with the mask and then sandblasted them. They both came out great and when I put a blasted glass next to an engraved only glass there is no comparison! the blasting is the way to go. It feels better and looks better especially from the back side. More toys I know, but if you are going to do a lot of glass work??

good luck
MP

Shaddy Dedmore
12-01-2005, 10:56 PM
I've had slightly better results than so-so by using that paper tape and misting it with water. It also got pretty frost by using a higher resolution (more microfractures in a given area than lower res). Maybe a slight out-of-focus will spread out the fracturing also, but I don't know for sure on that one.

Shaddy

Joe Pelonio
12-02-2005, 9:33 AM
My experience is the same as others, on glass the laser is best for objects that are hung in a window or on actual window panes, if it's mounted onto something like an award the contrast is just not the same as blasting or even chemical etching. With my stained glass hobby I sometimes will apply
a vinyl-like mask such as 3m calmask to the glass, then vector cut it on the laser, weed and apply the chemical etch available at stained glass supply stores. The result is probably not as deep as laser but more opaque. For blasting you can get an airbrush-like sandblaster that's
enough for small pieces, or a bucket fed gun that's under $50 at the
big home improvement stores that are good enough for glass.

Mike Mackenzie
12-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Here is a trick that everyone should try when doing glass. Change all of the solid black areas to a 70% grey.

You WILL be surprised by the results. We also run 100 power and 30 to 40% speed.

Alan Young
12-02-2005, 2:25 PM
Great idea's. Not sure I have a demand for a sand blaster but sounds like a possible new tool . I'll try the 70% gray and the wet news paper, never tried soap. Of course you always find this out after you ordered the blanks and the customer needs them I guess that is how we have all come up with our expertises, T&A (you know the Trial thing)

Alan

Lee DeRaud
12-02-2005, 4:34 PM
Here is a trick that everyone should try when doing glass. Change all of the solid black areas to a 70% grey.

You WILL be surprised by the results. We also run 100 power and 30 to 40% speed.(scratches head) Doesn't that do the same thing as dropping PPI by 70%?

Bruce Volden
12-02-2005, 7:27 PM
I've lasered my fair share of glass / mirrors over the last 10 years. I have come to the conclusion (with my machines) that 25% pwr, 60% spd @ 200 DPI produces the EXACT SAME results as 100% pwr, 1% spd or any combination thereof! Increasing the DPI yielded ~ Nothing ~! I believe we're only fracturing the polished surface and since we have little control in how the surface fractures I prefer to go for speed and faster turn-around time. Some glass works VERY well under the laser, some are a total waste of time. I also laser the glass dry, I think it works so well for me because by lowering the DPI, increasing the spd, lowering the pwr results is less "dwell time" over the material. Try rastering acrlyic @ 100% pwr and 10% spd- it puddles right? I know, apples / oranges, but the energy is readily absorbed by the acrylic. No matter how much power is applied to the glass you're only going to engrave so deep (the surface). Or, (and this has happened in my early trials) the glass will crack or shatter! The grayscaling that was mentioned earlier is right on. Sorry so long. $.02 worth

Bruce

Mark Mullis
01-18-2006, 11:15 PM
If your are going to sand blast wine bottles and such, can you laser engrave the mask flat, and then apply it to the bottle? Or do you need to apply it to the bottle and engrave the mask in place using a rotary fixture?

Keith Outten
01-19-2006, 7:07 AM
The Badger airbrush folks make an Abrasive Sprayer Set, model #260-3 Mini Sandblaster that will blast at 20 to 30 psi. The kit sells for $39.00 and includes a can of air for remote work. Northern Tools sells Badger Sandblast kits.

Jerry Allen
01-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Mark,
I tried cutting the mask on laser tape, but centers are too hard to keep in place. Since then I just laser on the bottle (or whatever).

To all,
As I have stated before, I tried everything, wet paper soap, with unimpressive results. So I just cut the mask using the laser and then blasted with excellent results.
Then one day, I just lasered the glass with Raysist laser tape at a fairly high power and speed, and the result was considerably better than low power with water and/or soap. Not as good as blasting, but good enough if you don't have a blasted item side by side. I think it's an acceptable method for certain uses.

Alan Young
01-19-2006, 5:46 PM
I think I am going to buy a small blast cabnet to do glass. I do not do that much yet and figured this would be a good way to get started. For around $150 I can get something going. Know I need to just figure out the best resist. I am sure a lot of that will depend on the type of depth need.

Alan

David Takes
01-26-2006, 12:50 AM
You will want to use a resist that does not contain PVC. Polyester laser resists are available from Specialty Tapes, Photobrasive, Rayzist, among others. I personally have taken a liking to the Laser's Edge Mask from Specialty Tapes.

Kim Maitland
05-08-2006, 6:13 PM
Has anyone found Laser Tape for a lower price than Laser Bits sells it for? The application I'd be using it for is to laser glass and then sand blast it.

Bob Tate
05-08-2006, 6:29 PM
Try http://www.plasticplusawards.com/

I have been buying from there, a lot cheaper. It is the best place I know of. Someone else may be along that can do better.

Plastic Plus does not show a lot on the web site, you have to download their PDF Catalog. And when you do that, look out. Every time I open it I am spending more money because they have such neat stuff.

Kim Maitland
05-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks Bob. I will check them out.

Mike Moffitt
05-09-2006, 12:08 AM
I've heard many times that the reason glass doens't engrave well is that when the laser hits it, it shatters. On most things, the laser vaporizes the item leaving a nice clean micro hole. On glass, it creates a micro shattering effect. Since the glass is shattering instead of vaporizing you can't get as good of definition out of it. I haven't gotten into blasting yet (though I really want to) but I hear that's the way to go. I think I'm going to get the Badger to try out...anyone have any bad experiences with this miniture blaster?

Hilton Lister
05-09-2006, 4:32 AM
I have a GCC Nercury and have found I get the best results, by applying application tape and lasering through it at 1000 dpi, 100% power and 100% speed. All glass does not give consistent results, sometimes the flakes come off in patches and that looks terrible, however, a quick light sandblast before removing the application tape works wonders.

Rodne Gold
05-09-2006, 4:39 AM
I never thought about the greyscale , what this does is convert the black to a 1/2 tone pattern which probably DOES laser better - will try it. Great idea.
We use paper based vinyl application tapes for glass blasting , it does resist the abraisive quite well and if you use strips ,its quite easy to apply to complex curves. The laser ablates the paper but leaves a film of adhesive on the glass which is a great indication of when the blast is "just enough" as as soon as it is seen to clear in the cabinet , it's real cheap and VERY easy to remove (wet it). You do have to be careful not ot overdo things with it however.
Considering the laser thermally shocks glass and it fractures cos of that , the easiest way to control the fracture is isolate the thermal part by using wet toilet paper etc to wick away heat. However using a high ppi or dpi kinda negates this as the thermal shocks are too close to each other. How the glass fractures is a function of its makeup and how the various elements expand differentially with the applied heat. Almost impossible to predict what a laser will do on glass :(
One strategy we adopt is to rub the etched portion with white or silver gulders paste (rub n buff) type thing which tends to whiten and even it out.
Some customers think laser engraved glass is nicer than blasted or is "something different" and sometimes there is no other option but to laser due to detail , qtys , price etc.

Wil Lambert
05-09-2006, 6:20 AM
I use these peoples laser tape. http://www.innotape.com/ The product is good and they are only 5-6 blocks from my shop :).

Wil

Tom Majewski
06-10-2006, 4:39 PM
From all the remarks I read I was ready to buy a sandblaster and laser the masks, but the sandblaster store was closed.

I tried the wet newspaper method and I think it came out quite nice. Getting a picture of it without glare was harder. 50% speed, 65% power on a 40w pinnacle.

Tom Majewski
06-10-2006, 9:20 PM
The attachment didn't take. Here's a link to the pics.

www.thelasercutter.com/vase1.jpg (http://www.thelasercutter.com/vase1.jpg)
www.thelasercutter.com/vase2.jpg (http://www.thelasercutter.com/vase2.jpg)