PDA

View Full Version : Double bevel cutting

Mike Tempel
12-01-2005, 7:59 PM
Just wondering what the term Double Bevel Cutting implies. I think I have a general idea but wanted to have some more info on it as well. I am interested in doing some marquetry work but have no idea how to start. Figured that getting the lingo down first would be a good start.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Mark Singer
12-01-2005, 8:17 PM
It is the layering of veneer and angling the knife so a tappered cut is made. The the fill or inlay piece and the void piece will mate up in a very tight joint.

Brad Knabel
12-02-2005, 11:00 AM
If you're looking for more information there's a book by Craig Vandall Stevens thats excellent. The name of the book is "The Art of Marquetry" with ISBN 076430237X. It's got a few simple projects and takes you through step-by-step with pictures documenting everything. He shows the use of thin/thick veneers and the use of a scroll saw vs. cutting by hand.

The projects are very doable and would be an excellent starting point for something more elaborate.

I had the pleasure of taking a class in Marquetry from Craig 2 1/2 years ago at Anderson Ranch. I recommend it highly - best vacation I ever had.

Mike Tempel
12-03-2005, 12:26 AM
Thanks Mark and Brad - both very informative. Brad, I am going to Rockler tomorrow and the LOML is going along. Maybe a stocking stuffer in the form of a book will be waiting for me on Christmas morning.

Thanks again, Mike

Mike Tempel
12-04-2005, 9:42 AM
Brad, picked up the book and one other one on Marquetry at Rockler yesterday. Will have to wait until Christmas to read them as LOML has claimed them for presents. Hard to buy for someone who has all he needs. Thanks again.

Brad Knabel
12-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Mike - I promise you'll enjoy the book. Good luck to you.

Here's the third project I did - I did it while at Anderson Ranch. But, I'm confident I could have done it just by reading the book. I know it's far from perfect, but again it was only the third thing I'd done.

Mike Zozakiewicz
12-05-2005, 2:23 PM
Beautiful work Brad, no need to qualify it!