PDA

View Full Version : to good to be true - useable wood

brian cammarata
12-21-2018, 4:21 PM
Sorry for the novice question.

I had a buddy reach out to me and said he had some hardmaple for me free of charge. (2) 5/4 - 8ft boards air dried for 2 years, nothing extravagant, but I am a self-proclaimedcheap skate. I didn't even look at the boards, just loaded in my car andbrought home. After breaking down they seem to have an excessive amount of wormholes and possible beetle remnants holes (oblong).

Arethese useable or should they go into the burn pile?

I don't even know how I would put a good finish / look onthese other than them having character.

Thanks in advance for any tips and input

Art Mann
12-21-2018, 5:24 PM
That looks like powder post beetle damage to me. The little critters may still be in there and ready to spread. Kiln drying or certain insecticides will kill them but for that amount and quality of lumber, I think I would just discard them.

Al Launier
12-21-2018, 6:24 PM
Character that could haunt you.

Scott T Smith
12-25-2018, 10:02 PM
They are usable but you really ought to sterilize them ASAP in order to ensure that there are not active PPB present in the lumber.

Hugh Turner
12-30-2018, 8:07 AM
Would that not be wormy/ Ambrosia maple? If so a friend sales it for 5.25/bf

Jason Mikits
12-31-2018, 9:02 AM
No, ambrosia beetles and ppb are not the same. PPB like dry wood, ambrosia beetles bore into softer wet wood. Ambrosia beetles don't chew dry wood because their munchers don't have the strength. PPB munch dry wood and lay eggs that can emerges years later.

Rob Luter
01-02-2019, 12:37 PM
I bought a whole bunch of soft maple from a local source a few years ago. Once I planed it I found it was infested with Powder Post Beetles. It makes for an interesting "rustic" aesthetic. Find the silver lining.

Hugh Turner
01-02-2019, 8:07 PM
When I start cutting my hardwood it will all be treated solubor water solution. Same as bora care just cheaper

Scott T Smith
01-05-2019, 3:51 PM
Would that not be wormy/ Ambrosia maple? If so a friend sales it for 5.25/bf

Those do not appear to be from ambrosia beetles. You can tell the difference between Ambrosia beetle exit holes and Lyctid PPB by closely studying the perimeter of the hold. Ambrosia beetle holes will be stained black around the inside of the hole.