PDA

View Full Version : Price of good epoxy

Bill Jobe
12-20-2018, 4:23 PM
On ebay I saw 2 part epoxy , one gal. each of epoxy and hardener for under $6.
Does that sound right?
Free shipping to boot!
(It is not my eBay store nor do I know the owner)

Wade Lippman
12-20-2018, 5:44 PM
Well, it is 95% off. Feel lucky?

What auction number is it?

Julie Moriarty
12-20-2018, 6:01 PM
Two gallons and shipped free? For $6? Who only changes $6 to ship two gallons of anything? Sounds suspect to me.

Frank Pratt
12-20-2018, 7:52 PM
I would consider that $6 down the drain.

Bill Jobe
12-20-2018, 10:24 PM
www. ebay.com /p/Crystal-Clear-Epoxy-Resin-General-Purpose-Bar-Table-Top-Coating-2-Gallon-Kit/720340354

I don't buy much on ebay so I may not be reading it right but the price looks to be "Buy itnow"

Frank Pratt
12-21-2018, 10:26 AM
This is really strange. Either there is something not right about that epoxy, or perhaps they're just selling off a bunch of surplus stock. Maybe both. I can't see how they can ship something from China for $6 & still make a buck on the product.

Alan Rutherford
12-21-2018, 10:35 AM
I saw a great chef's knife on Amazon for $1.97 a few weeks ago. It said there were 2 left. Tried to buy both and before I could complete the order it was down to 1, which I ordered. We went through the whole process until the next day when I got an email cancelling the order. It was a new vendor and I think they left off the last zero in the price. It's listed now for about $20 and looks excellent at that price. I would have felt guilty getting it for < $2 but was prepared to live with that and would at least have posted a good review.

Mistakes happen but that doesn't mean I think anybody is going to get epoxy fot $6/gallon, or even have the order cancelled or get their money back, although seller reputation is a powerful weapon.

Al Launier
12-21-2018, 10:46 AM
I suspect the shelf life may be in question. Usually buy cheap, get cheap, especially from China. I never buy anything that needs to be of quality from China unless there is a local US distributor with warranty/return protection. Buy America!

Jerome Stanek
12-21-2018, 11:47 AM
China gov helps cover shipping

Malcolm Schweizer
12-21-2018, 12:32 PM
This is not structural epoxy resin- this is bar top coating, which is different. The price is certainly suspect. You can't get one part of that for that little. I would be very suspect with it. One issue with a bar top coating is how UV friendly it is. I would very seriously doubt the cheap stuff will hold up to UV.

If you want a good, quality epoxy resin for a good price, try Raka.com They sell a UV friendly resin that I have used for years building boats and surfboards and it's just as good as West System in my opinion, which I have also used extensively. It actually flows a little better than West and more easily fills tight weave cloth.

Bill Jobe
12-21-2018, 4:59 PM
JKJ, I just noticed you edited my last post. How did that happen?
Have I been hacked? :rolleyes:

James Waldron
12-21-2018, 10:58 PM
Looked at the e-bay listing. Also found the offering of multiple listings - all at different prices, from $5.00 up to $67.00 - for the same two gallon product on a site named Pic Click. I'm very suspicious:

It may be a scam, as in no product actually shipped or as not actually epoxy resin and hardener when shipped;
It may be out of date, as Malcolm suggested and may not actually cure;
It is clearly not structural resin, as Malcolm has pointed out and is not offered as structural = it's table top resin;
It may be out-of-spec product that won't perform as expected;
It surely will not have UV protective additives, but not all two part epoxy needs these VERY expensive ingredients;
It may be an overstock disposal;
It may be inventory from a bankruptcy;
It may be a distress sale to prevent bankruptcy;
It may be a fence selling stolen product;
It may be a scam to harvest your personal data;
It may be a wonderful Christmas present.

As the old saw goes, "You pays your money and you takes your chances!"

John McClanahan
12-23-2018, 9:14 AM
After reading this thread I decided to take the bait. I ordered a kit for $4.99 from a seller claiming to be in Delaware. The ad says it will ship via media mail.:cool: We shall see.:D

Bill Jobe
12-23-2018, 1:22 PM
After reading this thread I decided to take the bait. I ordered a kit for $4.99 from a seller claiming to be in Delaware. The ad says it will ship via media mail.:cool: We shall see.:D

I can't wait.
You may want to take safety precautions when you open it....outside with full hazmat garb.:D

James Waldron
12-23-2018, 2:26 PM

I suggest you monitor your credit card account while you wait.

Tom M King
12-23-2018, 4:15 PM
not with your ten foot pole.

Ken Combs
12-23-2018, 9:30 PM

USPS may well intercept this and either return to the sender or deliver it "postage due". Media is only for printed matter. given the time of year, it may get lost in the mail volume and not be examined. They periodically get tough on that then relax.

Bill Jobe
01-12-2019, 1:26 PM
John, be very careful if you attempt to use this stuff.
I just read that years ago chemicals were used in 2 part epoxy that were EXTREEMLY hazardous to your health.
They have been banned, but you never know with a seller like this.
One hazard was obsorbtion through the skin that get into your blood and can damage your heart.

Bill Jobe
01-12-2019, 1:27 PM
That is, if it ever gets to you:rolleyes:

John McClanahan
01-13-2019, 10:54 PM
The deal was too good to be true. After I bought the stuff eBay pulled the ad and closed the seller's account. I had to wait out the shipping time, but I got my money back.

John