PDA

View Full Version : 1947 Delta Unisaw arbor shaft pulley LTA-432 needed

JAMES COCHRAN
12-19-2018, 11:52 PM
The bore of the above mentioned pulley is worn badly and needs replacing. Having trouble finding this part. Any suggestions? Found original instruction manual online. This part cost $1.45 back then, but happy to pay more. Appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site, have been reading for years, first time to post.

Lee Schierer
12-20-2018, 9:03 AM
Look at any industrial supply place like McMaster-Carr, they will have a good selection of pulleys to choose from. You will need to know the diameter of the shaft, belt size and the diameter of the pulley.

Steve Schoene
12-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Not quite so simple, I'm afraid, since it is a three belt pully. But I suspect you will find that any unisaw part until the model was dramatically changed several years ago. Might be harder if you have a 1725 rpm motor as some Unisaws had from that era. (Mine is a 1946 build.)

Matt Day
12-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Better luck on OWWM or eBay.

JAMES COCHRAN
12-20-2018, 3:39 PM
I called Delta this morning. They did not have the part. Delta tech man but referred me to Renovoparts. My problem of finding LTA-432 was the part number had been changed sometime in the last few decades. Old part number LTA-432, new part number is 926-03-991-2328. Called Unisaw Arbor Pulley. The diameter of the bore is 17 mm or 0.67:, obviously in between 5/8 and 3/4. If anyone else with older Unisaw needs this part, hopefully saves time in searching.
I discovered bad pulley when replacing belts. Two belts broke in the last few months. Old belts lasted about 27 years. This arbor pulley was found to have a lot of slop in it. I trust this is the correct part, can't wait to get my TS going again.

Andrew Seemann
12-20-2018, 4:45 PM
The arbor pulley on a Unisaw may be one of those parts that never changed over 70 years. The bearing shape changed (extended race vs non extended race) but the bore is 17mm for both. Stanley B&D gutted Delta pretty badly during their ownership, and the Delta tech may not be that familiar with an older saw. The pulleys on my 1986 Unisaw were compatible with my 1968 Unisaw. Actually, nearly all the parts were. If you can get a pulley for a 1960s-1990s Unisaw that is returnable, it might be worth trying.

There are folks on eBay selling newly made parts for Unisaws. I'm not sure if they make them themselves or contract them overseas, but they are available. The one selling new Unisaw arbor pulleys that I looked at had a list of model numbers that it was compatible with.

Matt Day
12-20-2018, 4:55 PM
Delta will be no help to you. Post a WTB over at OWWM.org in BOYD, or search eBay.

I’ll do the work for you, Here’s one on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-10-Unisaw-arbor-pulley/173376231560?epid=1774840886&hash=item285e075888:g:V-AAAOSwhqhZ9xlD:sc:USPSFirstClass!44022!US!-1

Actually, is your motor 1725? If so the one I posted won’t work. Post on OWWM, lots of uni’s parted out.

Kevin Beitz
12-20-2018, 5:03 PM
Look for an H-bushing pulley. They have a tapered bushing that will close
up on a worn out shaft.

Mike Kees
12-20-2018, 6:23 PM
James did you find a pulley. I have a couple 70's-80's Unisaws that are parts saws and can check the pulley part # I have.Let me know ,Mike.

Andrew Seemann
12-20-2018, 7:29 PM
While you are checking the pulley, check the shaft for wear as well. It is possible that the cast iron pulley wore and the hardened shaft didn't but no guarantee. You might be at the point of replacing the pulley, arbor and bearings.

Lee Schierer
12-20-2018, 7:41 PM
ereplacements (https://www.ereplacementparts.com/search_result.php?q=unisaw) has several three groove unisaw pulleys.

Bill Dufour
12-20-2018, 8:56 PM
With modern belts you only need two belts not three unless you are running over 7.5hp or so.
Bill D

JAMES COCHRAN
12-20-2018, 10:14 PM
Appreciate all the feedback. I put calipers on the arbor shaft, measures 16.97 mm. Surprised that metric was used 70 years ago in US made tools. Regarding 2 belts instead of 3 is interesting. I have been running on a single belt for weeks now as 2 had broken. Kevlar belts from Tractor Supply to replace the Gates belts that I bought at auto parts store in early 90's. One other thing to toss out there. Buying matched sets of belts. How critical to do this on a table saw?

Bill Dufour
12-20-2018, 11:09 PM
I was going to add they no longer make matched belts as a set. Modern belt makers are exact enough that if you buy three of the same make and length at the same store they will be matched well enough. All that matched belts were was two or three belts made the same day and measured to be the same length.
Same idea as matched balanced engine pistons. They do not actually balance the pistons. They just weigh them and sort them into 3-5 weight categories until they have a set. Then this "balanced" set is keep together until installed in one engine.
Bill D