PDA

View Full Version : Just something to think of

Keith Christopher
12-01-2005, 6:16 PM
I have been building these candle boxes fairly regularly in recent months. And to let you know they take about a day to build by machine and about 2 by hand (depends on how well you dovetail by hand) And people love them. Well they tell me they do. LOL. (no I havent dovetailed this one yet. ) Can someone say christmas gifts ?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/Candlebox.jpg

Keith

Jim Becker
12-01-2005, 8:39 PM
"Christmas Gifts" So...what do I win?? LOL

Very good idea for a fast build and a useful item!

lou sansone
12-01-2005, 9:12 PM
hi keith

Nice suggestion for the holidays. I have also built a bunch of these as gifts in the past. Many of the originals were just pine and painted either green, red or sometimes just left to age. I have not come across any originals that were dovetailed, but that is not to say some were dovetailed. All of the originals that I have seen, and those I own, were just nailed together. I am not saying that you have to reproduce them as the originals were, btw. I have made mine from tiger maple and cherry, both of which would probably never have been wasted on such a utilitarian box, but they sure look nice. In fact I have thought about dovetailing them just to dress them up.

What do you do for the sliding lid? I have seen them beveled for the most part.

lou

Keith Christopher
12-01-2005, 9:51 PM
hi keith

What do you do for the sliding lid? I have seen them beveled for the most part.

lou

Lou,

I usually do a bevel because if you taper to 1/4" the dado is 1/4" down which puts the top flush with the sides. Sometimes I make it a flat top just for kicks. but I stay a close as possible to traditional, but the dovetails look so so nice.

Keith