PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Paneled Mug with 4 wheel rotary

Brennan Sheremeto
12-18-2018, 5:02 PM
has anyone does engraving on panelled mugs like these with a 4 wheel rotary (I'm using epilog) how did it turn out? any tips?

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/libbey-5020-16-oz-paneled-mug-case/5515020.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz_2LjLCq3wIVkFcNCh3Qyg11EAkYASAB EgLOjPD_BwE

Chris DeGerolamo
12-20-2018, 7:54 AM
I'm guessing your results will be less than adequate due to the ribbed nature of that glass. At best you would be able to cut 'rings' of some sort for the top and bottom....otherwise you would be flopping all over the drive wheels etc. Also, the focal plane of the surface will change throughout and result in uneven engravings. A smooth sided glass will be the way to go.

Kev Williams
12-20-2018, 7:06 PM
"Root Beer Mugs" ;)

Those hot-dog-turner rotary's, those of you who use 'em are braver souls than I ;)

As for the flat sides I've done several of them, they engrave fine, just average out the focus between the high and low spots-

Brennan Sheremeto
12-21-2018, 6:24 PM
"Root Beer Mugs" ;)

Those hot-dog-turner rotary's, those of you who use 'em are braver souls than I ;)

As for the flat sides I've done several of them, they engrave fine, just average out the focus between the high and low spots-
If epilog sold a chuck style rotary for the mini 24 I'd order it right now that's for sure!

Brennan Sheremeto
12-21-2018, 6:26 PM
I'm guessing your results will be less than adequate due to the ribbed nature of that glass. At best you would be able to cut 'rings' of some sort for the top and bottom....otherwise you would be flopping all over the drive wheels etc. Also, the focal plane of the surface will change throughout and result in uneven engravings. A smooth sided glass will be the way to go.
Yea I'm having a heck of a time finding those anywhere around me though; even the restaurant supply store doesn't have anything. I have one smooth mug from a dollar store and haven't seen them again since I got it

Doug Fisher
12-22-2018, 1:13 AM
Dollar Tree has multiple options for glass beer mugs with smooth round sides. If you can’t find them in stock at a local store, online offers free shipping to your nearest Dollar Tree store

Wilbur Harris
12-25-2018, 6:24 AM
If the flats give you trouble on he rotating deal, find something round and make a jig to run on the rotary. Duct tape works wonders for making something fit. I don't know if it will engrave well or not but Kev says it will and that's good enough for me.