PDA

View Full Version : Federal end table build

chris carter
12-18-2018, 2:49 PM
We have a hideous end table left over from my wife’s college years that needs to go, especially since it’s in eyesight of our 1890’s dining room table. So I decided to build a federal style end table. Because it needed to be painted black to fit the decor in the room, I just made it from poplar and then painted it black. It was painful, but I justified it having seen examples of federal antique end tables with original black paint. This is my first time making a table of the fine furniture variety. I used a thickness planner for some of the more monotonous thicknessing, but everything else was all hand tools.

I turned the legs on my pole lathe. The joinery was cut first before turning. I accidentally cut the dovetails for the top of the front legs which was stupid and had to plug them before I could turn the legs. It worked out fine in the end, but it was a lesson learned.

My main pieces. You can see where I plugged the dovetail sockets so I had to repeat chopping them out (easier the second time). The ¼” bead was made with a scratch stock.

The knob was also turned on the lathe. It has a 5/8 shaft which was wedged in the front of the drawer.

With the drawer fitted.

The top is secured with little clips.

The full assembly. The top has a subtle rounding of the edges.

The whole thing was painted with black lacquer. Because it will be used on a daily basis and will see plenty of wine I decided to put some poly on it. I suck at brushing anything, so I made a wipe-on poly and this required using a dewaxed shellac between the paint and WOP. I need to let it fully cure and then I’ll knock down any remaining dust nibs. But I couldn’t resist seeing it in its natural environment so I very carefully set in the drawer after a day of drying. Then the drawer carefully came out and it went back in the basement to finish curing.

I made a few mistakes on this project, but nothing that wasn’t fixable so it was a good learning experience. This was kind of a practice run for a study desk for my son (he's 7) that I'll be making from cherry.

lowell holmes
12-18-2018, 3:12 PM
How about a picture of the lathe.

I'm impressed with your work.

brian zawatsky
12-18-2018, 3:22 PM
Really nice work, Chris.

Mel Fulks
12-18-2018, 4:10 PM
Nice job,and the pole lathe is always an intresting factor. I suggest looking at some pics of dumb waiters that would be of same period as the dining room, and they cut down on trips back to the kitchen.

chris carter
12-18-2018, 6:55 PM
How about a picture of the lathe.

I'm impressed with your work.

Here's a little video my wife shot. I've done the beads and now I'm roughing out the taper. I'm guessing from the rubbing sound that I was rolling the gouge right up to the bottom beads and then at the end I'm probably reaching for the skew to get it clean right at the bead.

https://youtu.be/Ac-Kbj9jH74

Kris Cook
12-18-2018, 7:38 PM
Nice job on the table.

Stew Denton
12-18-2018, 9:09 PM
Chris,

Very nice job!

Stew

Kevin Hampshire
12-19-2018, 2:01 PM
Chris, Very nice table and lathe!

BTW, on high use tables like this, I have the glass shop custom cut a sheet for the top. Very inexpensive and unobtrusive.

Impervious to red wine, kids toys, magic markers etc. If/when the glass gets damaged, easy and inexpensive to replace. Most importantly, table can be fully enjoyed without hurting the table or my feelings!