PDA

View Full Version : Tool Tour - Lamello/Striebig

Gail O'Rourke
12-01-2005, 4:24 PM
Yesterday, I went on a tour at the offices of Colonial Saw, they are the next town over. They sell and distribute the Lamello line as well as the Striebig line, both made in Switzerland. This is the office for the entire country.

Their customer is mostly the small pro shop. The Lamello line includes the original biscuit joiner, a laminate trimmer, flush edge band trimmer and others. They are pricey compared to the pc line. They let me try all the tools out and they were amazing to use. The cuts were great and the functionality greater than the ones I have seen. I especially liked the clamping biscuits that they use (use every 4th biscuit and it hold the piece together) as well as the biscuits that are actually knock down. I was impressed with the line, but until yesterday, had never heard of them. I was wondering if anyone has any or if they had heard of them.

Also, I saw the Streibig panel saw line, boy if I had an extra $20k, this would be the tool for me. It was amazing and my dream tool if I ever make the plunge and open a bigger shop. Maybe someday.

http://www.csaw.com/index.html here's their site, anyone every used them or have one? I am curious to know.

Brian Buckley
12-01-2005, 4:40 PM
Gail,
I have had the Top 20 St biscuit jointer for about a year. It is very accurate and adjustable .
It is a joy to use.
I ordered the Cantex Ergo at the AWF show in Las Vegas. I received it yesterday, (stareing at the box in my office) I will let you know how I like it next week. It ia expensive, but one of those toys I had to have.

Brian

Jim Dunn
12-01-2005, 5:25 PM
Gail this is not a dissss, but $75.00 for a glue bottle???? Kinda expensive isn't it? I knew that their bisquit jointers were top of the line and priced as such but some of those other things are really high dollar.

Thanks for posting the link, it is a neat site to drool over:)

Jim

tod evans
12-02-2005, 8:49 AM
i`ll stick with biscuits-n-gravy but striebig does make a good verticle saw. 02 tod

Frank Pellow
12-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks for posting this Gail. I enjoyed visiting the WEB site and I am sure that, like yoyu, I would have really enjoyed visiting the real site. Not that I will likely ever purchase any of their tools but it is nice to see and try out state of the art tools.

Steven Wilson
12-02-2005, 11:34 AM
I have a Lamello Cantex (lipping planer) that I picked up slightly used for about 1/2 price. What a wonderful piece of equipment. Now instead of thin edge banding I tend to use wood edging (1/8" to 1 1/2"), leave it oversize, and then have the Cantex plane it flush; simple, fast, perfect. They really do make nice stuff. BTW the glueing bottle is really handy if you're using a bunch of biscuits. Unlike most others, it administers a measured shot of glue for a size 20 biscuit - I got mine at a garage sale.