PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt or Hitachi or ???

Bruce Hardy
12-01-2005, 4:15 PM
Had to sell my miter saw (DW708) a couple of years ago due to a permanent relocation. (to Palm Coast, FL)

I do some cabinet work and make all my wife's picture frames .... she's an artist.

Having used the DeWalt, I'm kinda' mentally wedded to the "12 inch sliding double bevel compound saw".

At this point, I'm about ready to get a new saw and am again looking at the DW708 as well as the Hitachi HIT-C12LSH. I'd appreciate any thoughts about these two saws as well as any other suggestions. The Hitachi prices out around $650 and I'd hate to go above that.

Don Baer
12-01-2005, 4:24 PM
My neighbor is a cabinate maker and had his CMS stolen from his truck. He went out and bought the Hitachi. He ended up taking it back and got the DaWalt. I have a DeWalt and realy like it.

Roger Everett
12-01-2005, 5:33 PM
I have a Dewalt 12' scms and I've looked at the newest Hitachi. What I don't like at my first impression was Hitachi's blade guard. With the Dewalt I can sight thru the shield to adjust and see my cuts, Hitachi's is dark and you can't see thru to see your cut line, plus the fence is much smaller. And the new Dewalt is even better than the older style that I have.
Roger

Walt Pater
12-01-2005, 5:47 PM
Bosch.

Damhikt

Gregg Mason
12-01-2005, 5:48 PM
Dewalt has a new series of mitres out. They came out about a month ago. I picked up the dw715(replaces the 705s). Not all of the box stores have them yet. It has a beefier fence, cam lock(instead of screw in lock), a detent over-ride to get close to the detents without it slipping in to the presets, and a few other new features. You may want to take a look at the new series on the dewalt website. The dw718 is the new 12" slider.

Burt Waddell
12-01-2005, 8:08 PM
I bought a 10" Hitachi, used it for one kitchen got rid of it. I replaced it with a Makita 12" slider and it is a great saw. I also have a DeWalt 706 that performs quite well.

Steve Evans
12-01-2005, 8:47 PM
Another vote for the Bosch

Mark Singer
12-01-2005, 8:54 PM
I have the little 8 1/2 Hitachi and it is quite nice

John Keane
12-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Amazon.com has a sale on DeWalt SCMS.

Norman Hitt
12-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Dewalt has a new series of mitres out. They came out about a month ago. I picked up the dw715(replaces the 705s). Not all of the box stores have them yet. It has a beefier fence, cam lock(instead of screw in lock), a detent over-ride to get close to the detents without it slipping in to the presets, and a few other new features. You may want to take a look at the new series on the dewalt website. The dw718 is the new 12" slider.

Another nice feature of the new 718 Slider doesn't require as much space behind the saw as the old 708 did, and the new models are all prewired for their new laser accessory, and it appears to be adjustable enough to actually prove accurate, and can be turned on without the saw blade spinning so you can make the setup before turning the saw on.

I sure wanted one of those 718's buuuuuuuut....the current budget made me take advantage of the $120 off closeout on the last DW they had which was a 705. Sure wish it was a double bevel,:( but it works great for now, (til the budget screams "718", "718", "718").:D

Russ Massery
12-01-2005, 11:44 PM
I have the Dewalt 708, Had it for years (7or8).Love it,recommeded it to all my fellow woodworkers and trim carpenters. One of my friends who is remodeling contractor just bought the new 718. I like it better than the 708. The one thing I like the most is the shorter rails. You can get it alot closer to the wall.

Norman Hitt
12-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Dern it, wouldn't you know that after I spent my money on the 705, tonight I get an E-mail from Amazon that says they have 708's and are on sale for $450 with free shipping. Now Thaaaaaaaat, would have fit my budget.:mad:

Oh well, maybe some of the rest of you guys & gals can take advantage of the sale, and I can get the new 718 later.

They have several other saws on sale too, listed in the e-mail.

Steve Clardy
12-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Four dewalts here.
2 705's
2 708's

They are the only dewalt products I have.
The second 708 I got is still in the box. Picked it up off ebay for a killer price, as the new 718 replacement models are out.