PDA

View Full Version : First build lumber, weird sawmill and a 60 1/2

Bram de Jong
12-17-2018, 6:10 PM
Finally bought my first lumber! European Beech, 4cm thick slabs, naturally dried for 4 years... Will be doing the official "first build" and try to turn it into a Moxon style workbench over the coming year. :-)

While I have you here, I was wondering if you could tell me something about the sawmill I saw at the lumberyard. It must be some old DDR (I'm in Germany) tech, definitely older than the wall. The sawteeth weren't bandsaws, and it was able to cut multiple slabs at the same time. I might actually go back to see it in action.

Aaaaand, while you are watching this, I'm wondering if anyone here has a 60 1/2 *user* they'd be willing to part with. Over here in the EU these things are impossible to find and I have a friend going over to the states to enjoy Xmas with his family... He could bring something back for me.

Here's the pictures of the pile, the sawmill and the lumber....

http://imgur.com/a/pgYjD6A

I paid 1700€ per cube meter (which is the way we sell wood in the EU), came to approx 600€, including one slab of Ash for the leg vise.... I'm sooooo looking forward to working on this. I'll rip it with a circular saw together with a friend and do the rest of the build Neanderthal style ;-)

Greetings!

Bram

Pete Taran
12-17-2018, 9:38 PM
Nothing weird about that saw mill. It's based on a centuries old design which ran on water. A reciprocating frame which moved up and down in a track, the wood moved by on a set works and the cut was made. All done by water power back in the day. I've never seen a gang rip modern version though. Looks very interesting, I'd love to see it in action. Perhaps you can shoot a short video and upload it to youtube.

BTW, just like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2fESvZ9vOg

Kris Cook
12-17-2018, 9:52 PM
Aaaaand, while you are watching this, I'm wondering if anyone here has a 60 1/2 *user* they'd be willing to part with. Over here in the EU these things are impossible to find and I have a friend going over to the states to enjoy Xmas with his family... He could bring something back for me.

Maybe you know this but Stanley still makes the 60 1/2. I would think if your friend has access to a decent WW shop when he gets to the US he could pick one up. Failing that maybe you could order online and have one shipped to where he is visiting?

I have one and I use it frequently. They are not very expensive, and the one I have seems to be made fairly well.

James Waldron
12-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Dieter Schmidt has a Juuma low angle block plane that looks a lot like a 60-1/2: https://www.fine-tools.com/juuma-einhandhobel.html While 75 Euro seems steep, it's likely a lot less than an imported Stanley would be.

You might also try the UK e-bay site; they are likely to have vintage 60-1/2 listings. Hurry before a hard Brexit happens! :eek:

Tony Zaffuto
12-18-2018, 5:56 AM
Where is your friend visiting, in the states?

Bram de Jong
12-18-2018, 6:12 AM
Yardley, PA 19067

Peter Christensen
12-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Look up Gang Saws and you'll find out more. When I was a kid there was a small mill that had one. It was like all the machines there driven by a line shaft.

Kevin Hampshire
12-19-2018, 1:32 PM
Bram, you mention the 60 1/2 as a “user” plane, but if you can swing the price, you may want to try for the LN version. Much better for a plane that will likely get almost constant use.

Your friends could get it shipped to Yardley.

BTW, is your friend from Hesse? Around Christmas time, Hessians are of special interest in that part of the country. ;)

Tony Zaffuto
12-19-2018, 3:03 PM
Yardley, PA 19067

Clean across PA from me! If he was closer, I could set him up with one to take back for you. The good thing about PA, there are probably many antique malls around that area where he can find a 60-1/2 for a pretty good price. Several good alternatives have been suggested, as far as a new plane, also.

Bram de Jong
12-19-2018, 3:43 PM
I'd love to be able to spend the money for a LN, but $165 is way more than I'm willing to spend...

Thanks for the hint regarding the antique malls! And thanks a million for considering passing on one of yours!!

Bram

Stew Denton
12-19-2018, 9:39 PM
Bram,

On the auction site most of the # 60 1/2 planes sell for between $40 and $50. Really pretty ones sell for more, and once in a while you see one sell for less.

I bought mine at a flea market for about $10 if I remember correctly.

Stew

Bram de Jong
12-20-2018, 1:26 AM
Hey Stew,

Yeah, exactly :-) you should have a look at prices in the EU ;-)

I'll have a look at ebay US to see what turns up. I just thought getting a user through here would be more trustworthy than buying a random eBay one...

Bram