PDA

View Full Version : Quick Project, Entry Bench

Gail O'Rourke
12-01-2005, 3:56 PM
Hi, here is a quick project that I just finished. It was nice to have a short project, this took about 10 hours, not like my usual monster projects. Oak, golden oak stain, ply finish, 48" by 21 by 21..

Customer will make a cushion to place on seat.

http://www.woodworking.org/photo/albums/userpics/13344/entry_bench1.JPG
See "" (http://www.woodworking.org/photo/displayimage.php?pos=-1455)
http://www.woodworking.org/photo/albums/userpics/13344/entrybench2.JPG
See "" (http://www.woodworking.org/photo/displayimage.php?pos=-1454)

Bob Winkler
12-01-2005, 4:01 PM
Looks very nice Gail. Your design or the clients?

I'm curious on what type of joinery you used (biscuits, etc?).

Bob

Don Baer
12-01-2005, 4:03 PM
As usual Gail nice work. 10 hour huh....:o only in my dreams

Vaughn McMillan
12-01-2005, 4:29 PM
As usual Gail nice work. 10 hour huh....:o only in my dreams
Yeah, in 10 hours I'd almost have the lumber cut to size (probably after a couple trips to the store to buy more material).

Looks great, Gail. You've definitely got it down.

- Vaughn

Scott Donley
12-01-2005, 4:36 PM
Very nice, 10 hr.? It would take me that long to get started ! :) Really great work.

Rob Horton
12-01-2005, 5:25 PM
Great work Gail. And 10 hours huh? What in the world took you sooo long? :)

Jim Dunn
12-01-2005, 5:28 PM
Great work and it took 10hrs?? Must been the finish that took that long. My wife can look at shoes for 10hrs:) Course I can look at tool and fishing lures longer.

Dan Oliphant
12-01-2005, 7:29 PM
Gail,
Nice looking bench. Question 1, are the doors a glue up or one wide hardwood panel each? The reason I'm asking is prompted by the right hand door graining.
Question 2, is your twin sister also into woodworking to the degree you are? Pic shown on wood exchange album.

Bob Noles
12-01-2005, 9:12 PM
Gail,

Has anyone one ever told you that you do nice work? :D :D :D

You do nice work...... VERY nice work! Out of all the pictures you have shared with us, I think I like this one about best.

WOW..... Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Gail O'Rourke
12-01-2005, 9:24 PM
Hi, the doors are a glue up, solid oak. This is a stickly no frills project, glue and screw... 3/4 ply, with solid legs, top and edges, doors etc. Sturdy and functional.

Where did you see this picture? I had posted on WWA - did someone place it on another board?..my sister is a talented interior design/drapery maker in GA. Her medium is quality fabric.

Dan Oliphant
12-01-2005, 9:43 PM
Hi, the doors are a glue up, solid oak. This is a stickly no frills project, glue and screw... 3/4 ply, with solid legs, top and edges, doors etc. Sturdy and functional.

Where did you see this picture? I had posted on WWA - did someone place it on another board?..my sister is a talented interior design/drapery maker in GA. Her medium is quality fabric.

Gail,
The pic WAS in with your photos that are linked to the WWA photo album. Your "see" link under each picture here takes us to that album. The picture of your sister was number 6 in that album, although it is no longer there.

Shelley Bolster
12-01-2005, 9:56 PM
Great job Gail. Frills or not, that is a handsome piece of furniture that will certainly be a attractive addition to their entrance. I will agree with the guys.....10 hours is pretty darn good!:eek:

Paul Comi
12-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Looks great! Did you draw up plans yourself or make it from something you saw?

Based on the number of projects you build you are really productive as a woodworker and its very inspiring, that's why I'm asking about the design aspect. When I see people who work that fast, I've come to understand that they have a clear idea of what they need to do before they begin. Am I right in this case?

Also, can someone tell me if this is correct or not, but is the grain on the doors and sides running vertically? I'm not trying to find fault because it looks visually beautiful, but instinctively it seems like the grain should run horizontally, but I don't know why it would matter since you're using frame and panel construction. I guess because I'm so used to seeing dovetailed work lately having grain run vertically is a no no when dovetailing horizontal carcase like this would be.

Bill Fields
12-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Gail:

Aside from the simple elegance of the design and your execution, I, like most of the others, are interested in the amazing completion time.

As an educational contribution, could you--very informally of course, break down the time/sequnces of your work.

We can all learn something here, and your time-management knowledge wolud be most appreciated.

Thanks

BILL FIELDS

Michael Gabbay
12-02-2005, 8:37 AM
Gail - I have only this to say......

KNOCK IT OFF!!! :mad::mad:

You are making us look really bad. I can't even get a set of doors painted in the time it takes you to build a house full of furniture! Maybe I should try the stay at home Dad thing. This corporate life is messing with my wood working time.

Oh yeah, VERY NICE! :)

Jim Becker
12-02-2005, 8:43 AM
Beautiful work, Gail.

Guy Germaine
12-02-2005, 1:54 PM
I think I'll sell all my tools and go back to bowling!:rolleyes:
Great work Gail! I'm impressed every time you post a picture.

Gail O'Rourke
12-02-2005, 2:12 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for the nice comments. I definitely want to address the "how did I get it done so fast" theme here... I would love to share my strategies for working in the shop and staying productive. I have to go out of town right now for weekend, but I will post on the this topic next week.

Hope that's ok.

Vaughn McMillan
12-02-2005, 8:15 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for the nice comments. I definitely want to address the "how did I get it done so fast" theme here... I would love to share my strategies for working in the shop and staying productive. I have to go out of town right now for weekend, but I will post on the this topic next week.

Hope that's ok.
There's the trick right there...short posts. I gotta learn to do that some day. ;)

- Vaughn

Bill Fields
12-02-2005, 8:41 PM
Gail:

It's very OK that you go out of town and address the issue of your extreme organization and efficiency at a later date.

BUT, please don't forget--we will be forever grateful for just an approximate outline of time allocation, and your comments.

THANKS

BILL FIELDS

Corey Hallagan
12-02-2005, 9:07 PM
Nice work as always Gail, great looking piece!

Corey