PDA

View Full Version : Recipe processing

Trey Tull
12-17-2018, 10:38 AM
I'm wanting to put on of my grandmothers recipes on a cutting board for Christmas. For those of you that have done this, do you convert the image to a vector file or do you just engrave the .jpg image directly onto the board? Thanks for the tips!

Kev Williams
12-17-2018, 11:06 AM
If it's a clean image, at the size I need, I just engrave the image. Wood is pretty forgiving--

Another option is to just replace the text with your own, and with the optical text recognition programs available, they'll do the typing :)

The LAST thing I'd try unless you have a GOOD trace program (Corel's is not IMO) it attempt to convert photo-text to vector art.

Trey Tull
12-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Thanks Kev.

John Lifer
12-18-2018, 11:59 AM
I had a really poor image in jpg format that woman sent me. blue lined paper that had been stained with what was probably coffee 2 decades before. Browned paper, and looked pretty bad. I played with settings and got a decent trace that I only had to rework one word. She wanted her dad's handwriting.....
Did three on ply for her, and she was happy. It wouldn't have engraved well from just bmp conversion.

Trey Tull
12-18-2018, 2:36 PM
I had a really poor image in jpg format that woman sent me. blue lined paper that had been stained with what was probably coffee 2 decades before. Browned paper, and looked pretty bad. I played with settings and got a decent trace that I only had to rework one word. She wanted her dad's handwriting.....
Did three on ply for her, and she was happy. It wouldn't have engraved well from just bmp conversion.

Did you do the trace in Corel?

Mike Null
12-18-2018, 5:41 PM
Trey
I use the trace in Corel frequently and have pretty good luck with it.

Trey Tull
12-19-2018, 11:04 AM
Here is the finished cutting board (olive wood). Thanks for everyone's help!

Gary Hair
12-19-2018, 8:52 PM
Very nice Trey! They should be very happy with that result! (so should you!!)

Kev Williams
12-20-2018, 7:08 PM
Nothing wrong with that at all, looks great! So what 'procedure' did you settle on?