PDA

View Full Version : What are your UNIQUE TO YOU safety rules in the shop?

Malcolm Schweizer
12-16-2018, 4:36 PM
We all know the basics- wear a dust mask, don't wear long clothing around moving parts, never reach behind the saw blade... but that's not what this post is about. This post is about your own personal safety rules for your shop based on what your own past experience. I figure we can all gain from sharing this.

For example, here's mine:

I never bring any drinks into the shop on epoxy or varnish day, thanks to a past experience where I didn't, but almost did, take a swig of varnish instead of my water.
I always unlock the door when I'm in the shop alone, just in case something happens where I need to yell for help.
Always have some vinegar handy when using epoxy- it is the only thing I've found that takes it off skin. (That one probably isn't unique to me, except for the always having it part- it's part of my pre-epoxy checklist.)
Not exactly a safety tip, but I always make a little back scratcher out of scrap wood whenever I'm using epoxy, varnish, or other stuff that contaminates my gloves. I will ALWAYS get an itch right at the moment I'm wearing epoxy covered gloves. I also wear 3 or 4 layers of gloves so I can strip one off and have a fresh glove underneath.

Your turn.

Jim Becker
12-16-2018, 5:56 PM
I don't know that I have any unique practices relative to shop safety, but I'm very interested in hearing about others' ideas. I will say that although it's not "unique", keeping things clean is a good safety practice as is "not rushing".

Lee Schierer
12-16-2018, 6:06 PM
My #1 rule is if I'm running a machine and you want to come into the shop, wait until I finish the operation.

#2 rule is when I make a mistake and I am frustrated it is best to leave the shop and start over tomorrow.

#3 rule is related to #2, never work when I am tired.

#4 rule is if you borrow a tool either put it back where it belongs or if you don't know where it belongs put it where you found it.

James Biddle
12-16-2018, 6:23 PM
When something you're about to do doesn't "feel" right, stop and think about why.

Patrick Walsh
12-16-2018, 6:27 PM
Pick up after yourself damit. A dirty shop is not only a nuisance and slows productivity but is also a hazard. Other than that I’m probably to comfortable at this point round machines and should think about coming up with a better list.

Brian Nguyen
12-16-2018, 6:32 PM
I don't allow myself to chew bubble gum in my shop. There's bound to be a moment in which I'd blow the perfect bubble while the table saw is running and hurting myself.

Ray Newman
12-16-2018, 6:37 PM
I am a home garage shop woodworker and my safety rules:

When starting out in the morning, do some simple tasks to get into the swing of working. In the afternoon, clean up, and put tools away. It has been my experience that I will often make a mistake when I first start working or late in the day when fatigued.

My power tools face the overheard garage door and access door so no one can approach unnoticed. Same when working at the assembly table or workbench.

When changing a blade, always unplug the TS, band saw, etc. Then I throw the power switch as I once unplugged the jointer, not the table saw. Sorta surprised me when I hit the TS power switch. Same with a portable router or the router table.

Before running a tool, I stop and think what are you going to do, where will your hand(s) be, are the guard(s) in place, rip fence locked down. Started doing this after I once failed to properly lock down the TS rip fence. Listen to the little voice in your head when it sez: "this aint right!".

Rip on the TS: feather boards and/or the Jessem “clear cut stock guides.“

Feather boards on the router table fence with the appropriate zero clearance insert.

Pick up any scraps that fall from the saw or work or assembly bench.

I live in an area that is prone to have power failures, magnetic starters on machines and a safety guard switch on the router table. Once has a brief power failure while running the router table and as I went to remove the work, the power came back on and fired up the ol' 3.5 HP router

Brightly colored/clearly visible extension cords and air lines.

Air nailer -- remove the air hose when adding nails or clearing a jam.

Stop work when a visitor appears.

Jim Becker
12-16-2018, 8:04 PM
When something you're about to do doesn't "feel" right, stop and think about why.

Word............

Neil Gaskin
12-16-2018, 8:22 PM
Thanks for the vinegar epoxy tip.

Ron Citerone
12-16-2018, 8:32 PM
If it's gonna be a long day, I like to do the trickiest things early on and do the more mindless things like sanding etc, for the later hours.

sean meltvedt
12-16-2018, 8:57 PM
Like Ray, my shop is prone to power outages. It is also quite commonly very dark outside (winter in alaska) so I have a couple of emergency lights installed. This way I can still see while the tool(s) are spinning down. It is also much easier to exit without running into a fence rail :)
Cheers
Sean

Mike Cutler
12-16-2018, 8:58 PM
I have the three strikes and I'm out rule. Three mistakes and I'm done for day. Doesn't matter how small. If I'm making simple mistakes, I'm getting ready to make an even bigger one.

John K Jordan
12-16-2018, 9:15 PM
- When feeding wood through the bandsaw or table saw, I always imagine where my hands will go if the wood suddenly disappeared. That makes me think about stance, balance, hand position, push sticks, force used, etc. It's not unique to be careful at a saw, but that's my personal mantra.

- I lock the door when I'm working since I am easily startled, even though my family knows to knock and wait for a response before entering when they hear machinery running. (My shop is 250 ft down the hill from the house so no one but the llamas could hear anyway if I called out.)

Matt Day
12-16-2018, 9:52 PM
Plan the work and work the plan. We used to say that at work (construction management) but it applies to the shop too. For example if I’m ripping long stock, have proper indeed and outfeed support so I don’t get halfway through the cut and realize “oh snap”, how is this going to go?!

Malcome, you must use a lot of epoxy to have all those rules!

Malcolm Schweizer
12-16-2018, 9:57 PM
Plan the work and work the plan. We used to say that at work (construction management) but it applies to the shop too. For example if I’m ripping long stock, have proper indeed and outfeed support so I don’t get halfway through the cut and realize “oh snap”, how is this going to go?!

Malcome, you must use a lot of epoxy to have all those rules!

Boats and surfboards!!! I usually have a few gallons on hand at all times.

Doug Hepler
12-16-2018, 10:50 PM
In my shop I recognize three levels for safe woodworking. The first is a safe work place, meaning hazards are absent, for example poor lighting (dim or glaring) slippery floor, animals and other distractions, loose extension cords, marginal tools. Push sticks, goggles etc are in reach or in hand before I turn on the tool. The second is knowing how to do an operation safely before I do it. As Matt Day said plan the work and work the plan. We all (??) know what not to do -- the "Don'ts" but we also need to know how to do it safely. The third is discipline. If I don't have a plan I don't improvise on the spot. I sometimes leave the shop and go to the computer or books. Many little fences, fixtures and jigs have come into my shop this way.

Two personal specifics: (1) the band saw is still dangerous until you can see the individual teeth on the band and (2) actually see where the chuck key for the drill press is before you turn it on.

"Unique" is a high bar but I have not seen my three-part structure stated elsewhere.

Doug

Mark Bolton
12-16-2018, 10:55 PM
Employee related... No radio allowed other than occasionally during menial work (cleaning)

Malcolm Schweizer
12-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Employee related... No radio allowed other than occasionally during menial work (cleaning)

Yes! This. I cannot stand noise in the shop other than the unavoidable tool noise. I don't see how you can focus on your work if there is music blaring.

Darcy Warner
12-16-2018, 11:14 PM
Neil Young and Crazy horse must be on, rule #1.

Rule #2 Always confirm there is TP before going #2.

Rule #3 it's my mess, leave it be.

Simon MacGowen
12-17-2018, 12:29 AM
#1 - Always put my cell phone in my pocket so in case of emergency, I can call 911.

Someone says no radio. I am opposite as the radio is the first thing I turn on after the light, then the heater (in winter). But the radio thing isn't a safety rule and hence not listed above.

Simon

Doug Garson
12-17-2018, 2:03 AM
I follow many of the rules already stated, if I make a couple of dumb mistakes I either call it a day or make it a cleaning day. When ripping on the table saw I always keep a push stick in my left hand so if something starts to go wrong and I instinctively reach in I've got something between my hand and the blade. I have trouble maintaining focus if a task is too repetitive so if I'm making a bunch of identical cuts I'll cut 4 or 5, do something else and then go back and do 4 or 5 and repeat.

Jacob Reverb
12-17-2018, 6:15 AM
Thanks for the vinegar epoxy tip.

Make sure you wash off the vinegar-epoxy emulsion immediately...the vinegar "frees" or "liberates" the amines, which can then go through your skin, "sensitize" you and cause an allergic reaction to epoxy in the future.

Mark AJ Allen
12-17-2018, 9:32 AM
I always hang my safety glasses, ear protection and push stick on my bandsaw blade tension release lever. In order to do so, I have to release the tension. This way, every time I go to use my saw, I have to remove (and use) all this safety stuff to engage the lever. It's a big change of mindset going from primarily handtools to a machine to remember using safety gear.

Carl Beckett
12-17-2018, 9:46 AM
Not 'unique', but some standard ones I have to remind myself because 'I can always do better'.

Loose fitting clothing - My shop is marginally heated and I like loose flannel shirts as a top layer. Button down the cuffs, and tuck it in, or take it off for power tools. Luckily (or unluckily), long hair is not a problem....

Dont rush! - I get limited shop time so try to do too much. Causes mistakes, but also is a safety issue. Remind myself that the time/journey is supposed to be enjoyed and the outcome of nice quality. (I am a hobbiest) (background music actually helps me slow down since it creates a pleasant environment)

Clean up! - again I get in a rush and dont spend enough time cleaning up. That plus my shop is still not 'finished' and there is not yet 'a place for everything'. Clutter causes stress, and is a safety issue.

This also means, to actually COMPLETE a project every now and then. I used to joke: "You cannot have too many projects 85% complete...." (a lot of truth is said in jest!). One contributor to keeping my shop organized is completing projects and clearing all the material tools and space (including house/construction projects, restoring tractors, etc etc)

Jim Colombo
12-17-2018, 9:51 AM
I take off my wedding ring after having it caught on a part on the lathe.

Jim

Dean S Walker
12-17-2018, 10:04 AM
This is a good thread, safety is a word becoming glazed over so to speak. I work in the helicopter maintenance business and it is safety safety safety all the time and for good reason. There is no shoulder to pull over on it you have a problem. That being said, I promote; safety is an attitude and no policy will fix any problem if the attitude is not there. In our shops we have shoulders, we gleefully call them shop stools. This time of the year a multitude of wood workers are in a hurry to get all the "handmade gifts" to all the family and friends by Christmas day. We have "policies" to start this work on July but I'm going to guess that most are like me and it always comes down to the wire. I am working the next two days to get things done to send out by Wednesday. The best safety tip I can add is pull over once in a while "place your keester on the stool" Have a cup of coffee and collect your thoughts. This allows your common sense to surface and you safety attitude to reset.
In a world of safety safety safety drivin deep all the time I think people tend to become white washed and let common sense go out the door. What we do can get you seriously hurt, we all know that so take a minute and think.
Have a good Christmas everyone, even if a gift is late chances are it will still be appreciated.

Dean S Walker
12-17-2018, 10:08 AM

Jim

Due to the nature of my work and hobby I wear wedding rings like a nice watch......when I take the misses out on the town. No bling bling for this fella!

Tim Bueler
12-17-2018, 10:31 AM

This!!!

I'm a radio on type of person. Helps me relax so I can actually hear the little voice saying "Hey, dummass! Pay attention!"

And, when you start making little mistakes it's time to quit cause a big one is pending.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-17-2018, 10:31 AM
This is a good thread, safety is a word becoming glazed over so to speak. I work in the helicopter maintenance business and it is safety safety safety all the time and for good reason. There is no shoulder to pull over on it you have a problem. That being said, I promote; safety is an attitude and no policy will fix any problem if the attitude is not there. In our shops we have shoulders, we gleefully call them shop stools. This time of the year a multitude of wood workers are in a hurry to get all the "handmade gifts" to all the family and friends by Christmas day. We have "policies" to start this work on July but I'm going to guess that most are like me and it always comes down to the wire. I am working the next two days to get things done to send out by Wednesday. The best safety tip I can add is pull over once in a while "place your keester on the stool" Have a cup of coffee and collect your thoughts. This allows your common sense to surface and you safety attitude to reset.
In a world of safety safety safety drivin deep all the time I think people tend to become white washed and let common sense go out the door. What we do can get you seriously hurt, we all know that so take a minute and think.
Have a good Christmas everyone, even if a gift is late chances are it will still be appreciated.

A bit off topic, but I wanted to get my A&P, and I took the entrance exam at the A&P School near my work. They called me and said I had made the highest score ever- I missed only one question. (I was a Ramp Agent at the time doing w/b on wide body aircraft, and a lot of the questions were about datum line and stuff I used daily in my job.) I said, "Great, can I get a scolarship." They said they don't give scholarships. Long story short, I was young and very broke, and I couldn't afford at that time to get my A&P. I have forever wondered where life would have taken me if I had gotten it, but I would have never ended up where I am now, and probably wouldn't have met my wife, so I'm okay with things the way they turned out. :-) Anyway, you have my dream job, tinkering with helicopters.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Make sure you wash off the vinegar-epoxy emulsion immediately...the vinegar "frees" or "liberates" the amines, which can then go through your skin, "sensitize" you and cause an allergic reaction to epoxy in the future.

Yes, thanks for highlighting that- I'm aware, but it is good to point out. I am SOOOOOO Careful with epoxy because I use it quite a bit, and my worst fear is developing an allergy, and I knew someone who did just that. They couldn't even sit in a fiberglass boat.

Arnold E Schnitzer
12-17-2018, 11:06 AM
No open shoes like sandals or flip-flops allowed in my shop. For obvious reasons.

Chris Montoya
12-17-2018, 11:08 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for this thread, as a new hobbyist wood worker this information is invaluable. A lot of things I haven't thought of or have come up yet.

This is greatly appreciated.

Keep them coming!!!

Bob Vaughan
12-17-2018, 11:14 AM
I always look through the door window to see the reflection of the table saw rails.
If that view is occluded, then there's been a fire and opening the door will let in fresh air to fan the flames anew. I've heard lots of stories in the past where guys opened the door to a smoke filled shop and things burst into flames immediately.

Steve Eure
12-17-2018, 11:36 AM
Not to be distracted by phone calls while working in my shop. It takes your mind off the task that you are doing, can cause confusion, and can be as dangerous as driving and talking and/or testing while driving. Case in point: my daughter called me while I was shaping a piece of wood on my 12" disc sander. While not paying close enough attention, I pushed the wood into the sander, not watching my fingers as I should have and it sanded a nice chunk out of my index finger. Bleed all over me, my project, shop floor and everything in between. NO MORE PHONE CALLS IN SHOP!

Mark Wooden
12-17-2018, 11:39 AM
There are several "no's" mentioned that a guy I worked for did just to show he was the boss; blasting -and I mean blasting music while we were working (hey I like the Dead too, but...)
SOB used to wear sandals & shorts all the time-even in snow- and would yell at everyone to clean up when he stubbed his toe
Whether it was a real mess or not, he'd take it upon himself to sweep all your stuff off your bench, throw it in a bucket and say you were a slob (that ended when he chipped a workers chisel and the guy spent an hour re-grinding it on the bosses dime, and the other three of us backed him up on it)
And he used to slather ways oil on the sliding saws, the shaper adjustments, the screws on the handles of nearly everything, rather than clean it properly(takes too much time!)- we were constantly getting stains on our clothes and got chewed if it showed up on a piece.
I obviously left after about five weeks after a blow up but it taught me that before you work-

Music is ok as long as you can talk above it in a normal voice

Got to have good footwear; go ahead, drop a chisel on those sandaled feet.....

Leave the other guys stuff alone unless it really is a hazard ; then ask him nicely to clean up before he leaves that day. If he fights- no work tomorrow. And always pick up any scraps and such after using any of the saws, no need to trip on the next time you use it

Keep your machines clean, properly lubed and adjusted.

Start the day in a decent frame of mind- if you're pissed off, bad things will likely happen.

Allways let someone know you're working if you're alone

John Sincerbeaux
12-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Everyone has their comfort level when it comes to what they perceive to be “safe”.
I find these “safety” threads always amusing as to the wildly different opinions and practices. Common sense, Situational awareness, and experience keep me from hurting myself.
I can’t think of a single task I perform in my shop that music, a phone, a dog, etc would distract me to the point of injury? I would propose a review of one’s techniques or machinery setup if a single distraction could cause disaster?

J.R. Rutter
12-17-2018, 12:01 PM
No brooms - I have a rolling floor sweep that takes a 4" hose and plug it into the main DC. Airborne fine dust is the biggest hazard in my (and most others?) shop.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-17-2018, 12:20 PM
No open shoes like sandals or flip-flops allowed in my shop. For obvious reasons.

I need to adopt this rule. Guilty.

Wayne Jolly
12-17-2018, 12:28 PM

This is mine too. Reduce distractions to a minimum and that includes radio.

One more that I am still working on is COMPLETELY finish what you start. I have had a nasty habit of changing or reducing my focus too early at the end of an operation, like that last 1/4 of a second or so. If I had just maintained focus for that last blink of an eye, I would not have needed that trip to the ER to get a finger stitched.

Wayne

Osvaldo Cristo
12-17-2018, 12:44 PM
We all know the basics- wear a dust mask, don't wear long clothing around moving parts, never reach behind the saw blade... but that's not what this post is about. This post is about your own personal safety rules for your shop based on what your own past experience. I figure we can all gain from sharing this.

I never bring any drinks into the shop on epoxy or varnish day, thanks to a past experience where I didn't, but almost did, take a swig of varnish instead of my water.
I always unlock the door when I'm in the shop alone, just in case something happens where I need to yell for help.
Always have some vinegar handy when using epoxy- it is the only thing I've found that takes it off skin. (That one probably isn't unique to me, except for the always having it part- it's part of my pre-epoxy checklist.)
Not exactly a safety tip, but I always make a little back scratcher out of scrap wood whenever I'm using epoxy, varnish, or other stuff that contaminates my gloves. I will ALWAYS get an itch right at the moment I'm wearing epoxy covered gloves. I also wear 3 or 4 layers of gloves so I can strip one off and have a fresh glove underneath.

Your turn.

Follow four of mine:

Never let the shop with anything plugged in, even if it is turned off
Never ever have music or radio, anything that can mask noises from tools (except my ear protection used while noisy tool is on, of course)
Never locked alone!
Always maintain the shop locked when not in use

Jim Becker
12-17-2018, 1:02 PM
No brooms - I have a rolling floor sweep that takes a 4" hose and plug it into the main DC. Airborne fine dust is the biggest hazard in my (and most others?) shop.
As a safety note, this is a great solution but only usable safely when there is a pre-separation system, such as a cyclone, involved in the DC. Floor sweeps should never be used with DC systems where the material being picked up needs to flow through the impeller. Any metal in the flow could potentially spark if it hits the blades and that can potentially cause a fire.

Simon MacGowen
12-17-2018, 1:42 PM
NO MORE PHONE CALLS IN SHOP!

Land line or cell phone?

Cellphone - silent mode
Land line - get the unit that blinks instead of an audio signal.

Some of you work alone in the basement, or in the shop that is too noisy or is detached for anyone in the house to hear you in case you need help. Whether it is a serious cut, a heart issue or a fall, the phone may be the only life line available.

Simon

Simon MacGowen
12-17-2018, 1:49 PM
Follow four of mine:

Because plugging and unplugging is too inconvenient, I plug the tools to a power bar (a bar for a few machines using the same outlet). At the end of the day I have only two or three bars to switch off. The bars also provide an additional protection to the circuit. Often, if there is an overloading, it is cut off at the bar point which I can reset, without having to make a trip to the panel.

Simon

Thomas L Carpenter
12-17-2018, 5:09 PM
I always always wear hearing protection when using a power tool. Although it protects my ears it also mutes telephones, music, radio etc so they are background noise and easy to ignore.

Mark Bolton
12-17-2018, 8:06 PM
I'm not sure I follow the logic of nothing plugged in. I have miles of tools hard wired and others that stay plugged in 24 7. That seems a little odd. Do you unplug your tv when you leave the room? Do you slide out your electric range and unwire it? Unplug your fridge when you go away for a weekend?

Makes zero sense

Simon MacGowen
12-17-2018, 8:35 PM
I'm not sure I follow the logic of nothing plugged in. I have miles of tools hard wired and others that stay plugged in 24 7. That seems a little odd. Do you unplug your tv when you leave the room? Do you slide out your electric range and unwire it? Unplug your fridge when you go away for a weekend?

Makes zero sense

Not sure why others would unplug their machines, but my practice (in the form of switching off the power bars, not unplugging) serves a good purpose.

For example, my bandsaw and two types of sanders in one corner are all connected to a power bar to which an overhead focus light and a shop vac are also plugged in. The shop vac and light are left in the on mode at all time, so every time, I switch on the power bar, the light comes on with the vac. I simply turn on the machine (bandsaw or sander) to do the cuts or sanding as the light and vac are already working. When the job is done, I have only two devices to turn off: the power bar and the tool.

Simon

Kris Cook
12-17-2018, 8:41 PM
Not necessarily a safety rule (although turning on a band saw without the blade being tensioned could be bad). When I put the riser block in my 120V, 14" band saw I also wired a magnetic gooseneck lamp into the power switch. The light has its own switch. Whenever the light is on the band saw tension is on. Every time I loosen the tension on the saw I turn off the light. This works really well.

Thanks for creating this post - good idea.

Martin Wasner
12-17-2018, 8:43 PM
Keep your belly button polished and don't put your flush anywhere you aren't willing to put your genitalia

Mike Hollingsworth
12-17-2018, 9:00 PM
No Blood On My Tools

Jim Becker
12-17-2018, 9:05 PM
Mark, the one tool I do unplug at the end of every day is my CNC machine. I want those electronics isolated and being completely unplugged serves that need. I don't unplug anything else, however.

Stan Calow
12-17-2018, 9:13 PM
A hobbyist with a basement shop. Everyone knows that if I'm down there, they need to flick the lights to get my attention, rather than sneak up on me.

Doug Garson
12-17-2018, 9:34 PM
Other than blade or bit changes, the only time I worry about unplugging things is when we go away on vacation. Then I make sure my air compressor and garage door opener are unplugged.

Simon MacGowen
12-17-2018, 10:24 PM
Other than blade or bit changes, the only time I worry about unplugging things is when we go away on vacation. Then I make sure my air compressor and garage door opener are unplugged.

That reminds me of this: When I go on vacation for a month or longer, I go "unplugged" -- moving most of my premium hand tools from the shop into the house which is monitored 24/7 by a monitoring service. While everything is insured, I hate the thought of going through an insurance claim process, and getting up to speed with new tools. The shop is a lot easier to break into than my "fortress."

All the pricey machines are chained or boltled down...except the 500 lb table saw. Festool stuff is always kept in house, except the dust extractor.

Simon

marty fretheim
12-17-2018, 10:50 PM
Because plugging and unplugging is too inconvenient, I plug the tools to a power bar (a bar for a few machines using the same outlet). At the end of the day I have only two or three bars to switch off. The bars also provide an additional protection to the circuit. Often, if there is an overloading, it is cut off at the bar point which I can reset, without having to make a trip to the panel.

Simon

Please explain "power bar"! Surely you don't mean those power strips you buy at Walmart? If that is your overload protection in a wood shop with high amperage tools...well, God Bless you! Now if you got the TV and the cable box plugged in that's entirely different. Those breakers in the panel are designed for a reason. If it's too far away to walk over and reset one then that may be the reason why you keep tripping them.

Marty

Dan Baginski
12-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Someone else already mentioned it, but if I make a bad cut because of an improper setup or measurement I hang it up for the day and go do something else. I find that the bad cut is because my brains tired and I wasn’t thinking all the way through. That could translate to poor concentration and losing a finger or worse

glenn bradley
12-17-2018, 11:35 PM

Jim

I do this also. I have a loop of cord that I keep in the shop. I slip my ring off my finger, loop it onto the cord and slip the cord over my head tucking the ring into my shirt. I started doing this after I left the shop without my ring a couple times. This way at least if I forget it’s still attached to my body :-)

Simon MacGowen
12-18-2018, 12:11 AM
Please explain "power bar"! Surely you don't mean those power strips you buy at Walmart?

Marty

Seldom do those power bars (125V, 15 AMP, 1875 Watts) trip as each bar is hooked up to two to three machines plus a light, or plus a light and a vac. And only one machine is used at a time (with the light or the light and the shop vac operating in the background). The machines are light-duty ones like bandsaw, sanders, drill press, etc. One time one of the bars tripped when I switched on a second machine before the first coasted down completely.

Simon

Darcy Warner
12-18-2018, 12:13 AM
Wow.

I would cause several here to go into cardiac arrest within 5 minutes of being in my shop.

Bill Carey
12-18-2018, 12:22 AM
Wow.

I would cause several here to go into cardiac arrest within 5 minutes of being in my shop.
2nd that. Art Pepper playing as loud as the stereo will go while I chop dovetails barefoot, smoking a cigar .

Kory Cassel
12-18-2018, 5:50 AM
Not really any specific rule, but I'm very sensitive to the dangers of losing control of heavy objects. In my real job I've had coworkers who have: had their ribs crushed and lungs collapsed, broken toes (3 separate occasions), broken foot, severed fingers (2 separate occasions). If I cannot easily control a heavy or awkward load alone, I am much quicker than your average bear to stop and get help before proceeding with an operation that is even slightly risky. I have yet to break any bones working and I still have all my fingers and toes.:)

John K Jordan
12-18-2018, 6:35 AM
Not really any specific rule, but I'm very sensitive to the dangers of losing control of heavy objects.... I have yet to break any bones working and I still have all my fingers and toes.:)

Yikes. Reminds me of when I worked at a big industrial piping place that fabricated for nuclear power plants (I was an NDT tech). Guys moving pipes around would sometimes stop a rolling pipe with their foot. Then one guy tried to stop a large, long and heavy wall pipe. I don't know how many thousands of lbs it was but they said the bones came through the bottom of his foot. That was nearly 50 years ago bit I remember it every time I skid or saw a log.

Robert Engel
12-18-2018, 9:21 AM
Repetitious tasks on power machines is where I find myself getting lax.

Al Launier
12-18-2018, 10:55 AM
Good thread!
So many great thoughts & practices above. Mine are mixed throughout those mentioned above and I can now consider some that I hadn't thought of before.
I'm particularly concerned about safety since my wife would panic if anything happened to me. So, I'm constantly aware of what could go wrong and have a cordless phone on me in my shop to call 911 if ever needed.

Osvaldo Cristo
12-18-2018, 11:04 AM
Follow four of mine:

Never ever have music or radio, anything that can mask noises from tools (except my ear protection used while noisy tool is on, of course)
Never locked alone!
Always maintain the shop locked when not in use

Oh yes, I was forgetting one of the most important one: no drinks, no food.

Jim Becker
12-18-2018, 11:08 AM
I don't generally "do food" in the shop, although there are now exceptions when the CNC is running and it's lunch time. But I always have a tall glass of ice water or ice tea with me in the shop to stay hydrated. It's not on or near any machine, however, for obvious reasons.

Peter Christensen
12-18-2018, 11:09 AM
I don't lend tools. I've got no desire to learn someone got hurt using a saw or router of mine. It can anger some people but I've run into too many twits that even with instruction, are a danger to themselves and those around them with anything that can cut.

Upside is never having to bug someone to get the tools back. :)

Darcy Warner
12-18-2018, 1:17 PM

I am eating lunch sitting next to my mattison 404, actually it's the lunch table.

There is always an ice cold drink somewhere. Plenty of wood scraps for coasters.

Charlie Jones
12-18-2018, 1:46 PM
Mine are probably not unique but I:
keep loose clothes out of the shop.
Always use a push stick and stand to the side at the tablesaw.
Always pick up after a session and hang up or put away all tools.
keep machine work tables and beds waxed.
Always use a push stick on the jointer.
Use dust collection and wear a mask when needed.
Never listen to the radio when using machines.
Try to keep my tools sharp.
Wear gloves when handling chemicals (finish and glues) (usually)
Never work when tired.
Always label chemicals- I had a water bottle with soapy water in it to check the connections on my gas heater. I forgot it and one night I was planning and picked it up and took a drink. Yuk and double gag!!
Clean up all finishing rags and bun them or lay outside to dry.

Carl Beckett
12-18-2018, 2:13 PM
keep my tools sharp.

A good one!

Michael Costa
12-18-2018, 2:22 PM
Lmao.... "Welcome to Mikey's Workshop - Where safety comes second to having a wicked pissah time!"

I added a new rule. "Keep your fingers out of the jointer blade."

Roger Feeley
12-18-2018, 3:05 PM
Here's an odd safety rule when I help kids with their Pinewood Derby cars. Dads are not allowed to touch the car during any machining operation. Only the kid can touch the car.

I do this for two reasons:
1. I insist that the kid does the work because that's what PWD is supposed to be.
2. It really is dangerous if Dad thinks he can swoop in at any moment and grab the work. I've had that happen and, frankly, the dads and caused some near misses. If they would just let the kid alone...

I let kids use the bandsaw and various sanders or whatever is needed. To be clear, I don't just turn them loose. We discuss every operation in detail with regard to a good result and safety. We discuss the 3" rule. We often make holding jigs for single operations to help the kid control the work and be safe. I do a lot of practice operations with the kid using scrap so they understand the forces at work.

It generally takes 2-4 hours and I've never had a kid complain of boredom yet. I keep them busy. Yes, there's a lot of preparation on my part before they arrive.

I've had some Cub Scout leaders tell me that they would never let the kids use power tools. I reply that I don't let them NOT use power tools. We smooth down axle heads on a metal lathe. We buff the axles on the buffer. We shape the car on a bandsaw and sand it using an oscillating spindle sander and disk sander.

David Helm
12-18-2018, 6:32 PM
My main rule is about turning on machines. The first machine to turn on is my brain. Others have said it in other ways but I see that as the best safety tool.

Jon Fletcher
12-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Sometimes the extension cord or air hose cannot be secured overhead. When one or the other or both are on the ground don't step on them. Everything else is common sense and understanding.

John Goodin
12-18-2018, 11:46 PM
Plus one on the cell phone. I fell off a 2 story house and shattered both wrists and broke my face. No one was around so I called 911. Without the cell I am not sure I could have done anything beside lay in the front yard till someone saw me. Now anytime I do something remotely dangerous the cell phone is in my pocket.

Jim Becker
12-19-2018, 9:51 AM
Plus one on the cell phone. I fell off a 2 story house and shattered both wrists and broke my face. No one was around so I called 911. Without the cell I am not sure I could have done anything beside lay in the front yard till someone saw me. Now anytime I do something remotely dangerous the cell phone is in my pocket.
My phone is always in a horizontal belt holster...never a pocket. It's more protective and much easier to get to if I need it. And no "pocket fluff" ever gets in the ports that way, too.

Rod Sheridan
12-19-2018, 9:54 AM
I use the following rules

- check that the front door to the house is unlocked (in case I need EMS)

- make sure I have my cell phone in my pocket (don't have a land line phone any more, when I did I had a phone 2 feet above the floor in the shop)

I think everyone has similar rules, however coming from an industrial background I use, and teach the LMRA method at work, and when I'm hosting seminars

Last Minute Risk Assessment is a non documented safety check. Essentially, before any task, stop and do a risk assessment for the task taking into count all the possible variables for that situation.

LMRA is quick, non intrusive and becomes second nature when applied consistently, and dramatically improves your shop safety.

All the items people have previously mentioned fit in LMRA, such as environment, PPE, guards, work processes, material handling tool and machine safety.

Making LMRA your default first task will mitigate shop hazards..............Regards, Rod.

Prashun Patel
12-19-2018, 9:56 AM
I run my air cleaner on my way out of the shop every time, even if I was only using hand tools. I don’t run it when I am in the shop.

Brian Henderson
12-19-2018, 3:23 PM
My phone is always in a horizontal belt holster...never a pocket. It's more protective and much easier to get to if I need it. And no "pocket fluff" ever gets in the ports that way, too.

Same here, my cell phone is with me 100% of the time (except when I'm in the shower, I guess), in a belt holster. It's never been dropped, I have never lost or broken a cell phone in the past 30 years I've had them, I don't get people sticking them into pockets. Safe, secure and always available.

Darcy Warner
12-19-2018, 5:27 PM
Belt clips for phones look too much like a fanny pack and I am not ready for 1988 again.

Jim Becker
12-19-2018, 5:32 PM
Belt clips for phones look too much like a fanny pack and I am not ready for 1988 again.

The Nite-Ize holster I use is pretty unobtrusive...it's nothing like a fanny pack in shape or size. And I use the "XL" version for my iPhone Xs-Max. I don't even know it's there until I reach for the phone.

Darcy Warner
12-19-2018, 5:58 PM
The Nite-Ize holster I use is pretty unobtrusive...it's nothing like a fanny pack in shape or size. And I use the "XL" version for my iPhone Xs-Max. I don't even know it's there until I reach for the phone.

I would rip it off and destroy several things in the process.
I have been carrying a smart phone in my pocket for years and never broke one.

Plus I don't wear a belt.

Jim Becker
12-19-2018, 8:36 PM
No one best answer, Darcy...what's important is what works for each of us individually. (I use my holster even when using suspenders with no belt...it still grips my jeans fine, but not as securely as with a belt, of course)

Dean S Walker
12-19-2018, 9:01 PM
I learned to turn left handed for roughing greenbowls. (picked up from glenn Lucas) Out of the line of fire. It only took a piece flying off that weighed a pound or so hitting me in the shoulder to determine getting hit was worse than learning something new! Not to mention I stay a little dryer!

Warren Lake
12-19-2018, 10:25 PM
dont have rules just stuff I do. Never had a cell phone but way back there was a portable phone in the tool belt all the time to not have to walk. It wasnt needed and some say not healthy depending on who you listen to. When ive been hurt the worst a cell phone likely would be no use as I couldnt have worked it. Always had a TV and music, never focused on one musician, so so many talented people out there. Likely the most I do consistently is ear protection, had lost some of my hearing when tested and a year plus later of wearing hearing protection and most of it came back, one area well down that didnt. Ill wear them even when I cut the lawn.

Rod Sheridan
12-20-2018, 8:07 AM
I learned to turn left handed for roughing greenbowls. (picked up from glenn Lucas) Out of the line of fire. It only took a piece flying off that weighed a pound or so hitting me in the shoulder to determine getting hit was worse than learning something new! Not to mention I stay a little dryer!

Interesting, I do that so I can see what I'm doing without becoming a contortionist, never thought about the projectile path.............Regards, Rod.

Kevin Beitz
12-20-2018, 9:56 AM
I keep a push stick and safety glasses at the table saw.
I have a disconnect switch at my exit door that shuts down the work shop.
I use the back of my hand to touch any new electrical equipment that
come into my shop the first time I power it up.

Jim Dwight
12-20-2018, 6:28 PM
When I had an extra one car garage added for my shop in 2014, the contractor was surprised I insisted no outlet in the ceiling for a garage door opener. For years I shared the garage with the cars and I don't know how many times my late wife startled me while I was in the middle of a cut by opening the door with the opener. No way for her to know. But now that I have a dedicated space, no opener.

Ben Zara
12-20-2018, 6:35 PM
As a kid my father drilled this into my head: Before you start any cut of any kind on any machine stop and visually check where your hands are.

When we cut on the TS, bandsaw or whatever typically we are staring at the blade or bit and moving stock towards it. My dad would always say "Where are your hands, where are your hands". Annoying at the time but now I appreciate it.

Edwin Santos
12-20-2018, 7:01 PM
Sometimes the extension cord or air hose cannot be secured overhead. When one or the other or both are on the ground don't step on them. Everything else is common sense and understanding.

This! Tripping hazards just spontaneously appear, whether cords, wood, boxes, anything else. Also, some floors can become slick when covered with fine sawdust.
This is on my mind these days because I lost a healthy friend just last week, mid-50s, to a Traumatic Brain Injury resulting from a fall. Ugh.
We hope for no injuries in the shop, but remember you can usually survive a cut or severed digit, but striking your head from a fall is very serious. Especially if it hits a cast iron machine or a solid workbench on the way down. This is why the brain is encased in a thick mass of bone called a skull.
Remember that as we get older, our sense of balance deteriorates too. What was safe yesterday may not be safe tomorrow.

Please, please stay constantly mindful of tripping hazards and slippery surfaces!
Edwin

Patrick Perry
12-20-2018, 7:32 PM

Jim

They make rubber/plastic non-conductive wedding rings that can easily tear away if caught on something. One of our local police officers wears one and was telling me about it. I have thought about buying one.

Charles Lent
12-21-2018, 12:58 AM
My uncle, a carpenter, taught me to "never put my hand, fingers, or any part of my body within 6" of a spinning sharp blade. If it will come closer than that, Stop and find another way." I was about 12 at the time and I was helping him rebuild a porch on his house when he began teaching me about power tools. During that project, and several others that followed, he taught me a lot about shop and tool safety, carpentry, and cabinet making. I also had several years of shop classes in high school. His 6" rule has kept me safe in my shop ever since then and I'm 76 now. He also taught me that the work always needed to be held down as well as pushed forward, and how unsafe regular "push sticks" are. A properly designed stock pusher holds the work as well as the off cut down as well as feeds it forward. If it isn't held down the tool can, and will, throw it at you.

His 6" safety rule had been so ingrained in my head that I had a lot of trouble convincing myself that a Grripper was safe to use. It took me over 6 months to really begin using my new Grrippers after I bought them, because my hand was coming closer to the blade than 6" while pushing the Grripper over the top of the blade. I have now mentally modified my uncle's rule to add "unless your hand is securely holding a pushing/hold down device with a built-in guard between your hand and the blade". I now own 3 Grippers, two for the table saw and one with the thin side removed for use on my router table. I never reach over the spinning blade, nor do I ever use a blade guard. Grrippers and the hold down pushers that I made before getting the Grrippers never allowed a blade guard to be used with them. I do use a pop-up splitter when ripping stock though, and a ceiling mounted Brett Guard over the table saw for use when the situation allows for it. I also have a laser line generator on the ceiling above my table saw that projects the cut line all the way across the top of the saw, the work, and even my fingers if they are ever in the cut line, prompting me go get them away. This is a great reminder of the blade cutting line when doing blind non-thru cuts, but also a great reminder of the blade position whenever I'm using the saw. The one button on/off remote for it is attached to the top of the table saw fence, so it's easy to turn on and off. Power for it comes from a ceiling outlet.

Every power tool gets unplugged whenever I'm changing blades, bits,sandpaper, etc. but I do leave the stationary tools plugged in when I'm not in the shop, because I turn off all of the breakers except the ones for the lights and fridge when I leave. The fridge stays on but the lights get turned off at the door.

I always have a radio on while I'm in the shop, but at a low volume. Like others, it is one of the first things turned on when I enter the shop.

When running power tools I have the noise canceling headphones with the radio built-in that I wear, and the same radio station is on in them too, again at a low volume so I can hear when the tool is running or not.

I have both tinted and clear safety glasses, and a face shield that I use whenever doing any king of work in the shop. The tinted safety glasses are also my daily Sun glasses. I also have a shade 4 pair that I use whenever grinding or doing any torch work, and an electronic welding helmet that I use when welding or grinding metal, which is never done inside my wood shop. Always out side or in my son's welding shop across town.

I always leave the shop door unlocked, but I have trained my family not to enter if I'm using a power tool, and to only knock when I'm not using a tool and then enter only after I wave them in.

I carry a cell phone in a case on my belt that I answer at my convenience. If my wife calls and I don't answer immediately, she will come out to the shop if I don't call her back in a couple of minutes. My shop is in a separate building about 100' from my house.

I've had 6 heart surgeries, 2 knee replacements, and survived cancer twice in the past 18 years, so my wife checks on me frequently.
Yes, I have cold soft drinks and water in my shop, but I only use them when taking a break from work or doing paper work. I don't eat or drink anything unless I'm on a break. Break time snacks (vending machine style packaged crackers) are also in the fridge. I'm diabetic, so I have to eat small amounts frequently. My first aid bag contains diabetes and heart testers, medicines, and supplies and this bag has been with or near me wherever I am for the past 15 years. It's just a small 6 pack sized fabric cooler, so it's easy to carry around. The shop has a first aid kit for splinters and minor wounds, but I usually quit for the day and go to the house to treat my smaller injuries. There is a manned fire station 2 miles from my shop, so any 911 call will have fire, police, and paramedics here within minutes, and the hospital is only 5 miles away.

Charley

Matt Mattingley
12-21-2018, 1:16 AM
Safety is safety. Whether it is using a face mask, hard helmet, ventilation gear, A seatbelt or a parachute or even a condom. Safety is safety. Those who want to risk and are at risk, safety measures are also available.

You can only tell somebody smoking will kill you, so many times... till they’re dead.
You can only tell somebody to wear safety glasses (to protect their eyes) so many times till they can’t see.
You can only tell somebody to wear a safety helmet, so many times… Till something hits their head.

You can teach good work practises till you’re blue in the face. Figure out how to teach or remove the unteachable from the situations....

Everybody can be taught something, but not always to the same level.

Remember, somebody is always responsible!

Justin Ludwig
12-21-2018, 6:58 AM
I have the three strikes and I'm out rule. Three mistakes and I'm done for day. Doesn't matter how small. If I'm making simple mistakes, I'm getting ready to make an even bigger one.

I have found the cure to keep the mistake fairy at bay. This works especially well on Mondays and it's best practice to remember to do this after your first or 2nd mistake. If you don't, the 3rd and more will definitely happen...

STOP. Put down your tools. Put your hands and arms straight up over your head. Turn in 3 circles (direction of your choice). Allow vertigo to pass. Commence working.

This started out as a way to end a streak of bad hands while playing a Hollywood of Gin Rummy. One day, I was talking with my Dad about a series of mistakes I made and he asked me, "Well, did you reset?"

So my two unique shop rules:

1) Cabinetry requires soft hands (don't force anything)
2) Spin to reset if you make a mistake.

Doug Garson
12-21-2018, 1:49 PM
Just curious, like many other hobby woodworkers, there are some days I know my brain isn't in gear and either before or after making a stupid mistake, I make the decision not to do any more work in the shop. Pros who have a schedule to meet and have bills to pay don't have that option, or do they? What do the pros do when they realize they're not on their game today?

Brian Deakin
12-21-2018, 2:03 PM
Consider using document like the one below to access risks particularly in relation to lifting

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg143.pdf

Martin Wasner
12-21-2018, 3:43 PM
Consider using document like the one below to access risks particularly in relation to lifting

and that right there is one of the reasons Britain went from more or less controlling the whole planet to living on an island the size of michigan in the space of about 150 years.....

James Pallas
12-21-2018, 3:48 PM
I don’t care for any noise in the shop radio, tv etc. I like to be able to hear, feel and see what the tool I’m using is doing be it hand or power. Saved myself a lot of grief that way. I always have three handkerchiefs in my pockets, quick pressure bandage if need should occur. Cell phone laying on the end of the bench where I can reach it from the floor if need arises. Most of the time it’s just me and the dog in the house.
Jim

Tom M King
12-21-2018, 4:19 PM
Just curious, like many other hobby woodworkers, there are some days I know my brain isn't in gear and either before or after making a stupid mistake, I make the decision not to do any more work in the shop. Pros who have a schedule to meet and have bills to pay don't have that option, or do they? What do the pros do when they realize they're not on their game today?

I don't do deadlines, so no real schedules to keep, but I am a pro, so to answer your question, I tell the guys to put the tools up, and we go home. I have no real safety rules, but am still here, after working for 45 years with all sorts of tools, with everything I came with to start with, other than the hair on top of my head.

John Sincerbeaux
12-21-2018, 5:43 PM
NO RULES IN MY SHOP!

I make a living by working in the most regulated environment on the planet. Every second of every hour I work, I am being watched and held accountable for by the government, my company, and my passengers. My work is high stress and high stakes.
On the days I am actually home, I go into the shop, turn on the lights, phase perfect converter, my stereo, open the windows, doors, and start creating. My shop, with it’s mostly German machines is my reward to myself, my sanctuary.

A healthy respect for my health keeps me safe.... and employed. Mandatory FAA physicals every six months... Ah those rules again.

Edwin Santos
12-21-2018, 7:46 PM
and that right there is one of the reasons Britain went from more or less controlling the whole planet to living on an island the size of michigan in the space of about 150 years.....

Bio mechanically speaking, it seemed pretty sound to me.
Maybe your point is that it's common sense and unnecessary - i.e. the nanny state argument?
The way you put it gave me a laugh either way.

Doug Garson
12-21-2018, 8:13 PM

Maybe I missed it, but I find it curious that the list of the responsibilities for the worker, did not include maintaining a level of fitness suitable for the type of physical work they do. I wonder what percentage of lifting related injuries are the result of the poor condition of the lifter?

Martin Wasner
12-21-2018, 8:56 PM
Bio mechanically speaking, it seemed pretty sound to me.
Maybe your point is that it's common sense and unnecessary - i.e. the nanny state argument?
The way you put it gave me a laugh either way.

Mostly aimed for a laugh, but the wording of some of it did make me cringe.

Bill Kelleher
12-22-2018, 8:25 AM
hide the receipts for toys,,,,,um tools, if your wife is a redhead burn them

Bill Kelleher
12-22-2018, 8:25 AM
sorry to clarify, burn the receipts not the redhead...

Tim Bueler
12-22-2018, 9:05 AM

When I was in my prime money making years and had bucket loads of responsibilities there were days I just had to soldier through. Today I'm semi-retired, have no real schedule and no longer have employees or subs to account for. When I'm having one of those days now I simply shut everything down and turn out the lights. Maybe go take a walk with the LOML or the kids (four-legged), or open the computer and read about someone else's bad day on Sawmill Creek. :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
12-22-2018, 9:08 AM
Tim, that's a really important thing you mention...when any of is is just "not feeling it" while in the shop, it truly is the best thing for safety to cut the lights, lock the door and do something else. Distraction is one of the most dangerous things...

John K Jordan
12-22-2018, 10:13 AM
Tim, that's a really important thing you mention...when any of is is just "not feeling it" while in the shop, it truly is the best thing for safety to cut the lights, lock the door and do something else. Distraction is one of the most dangerous things...

That's a great thing about having my shop near the barn but kind of central on the farm. I can take a break and feed the llamas, check on the peacocks, walk up to the horses and see how active the bees are today, or up the hill to the house for a snack then a 1/4 mile one way to the mailbox. (I tell myself the exercise offsets the snack calories!)

JKJ

Jim Becker
12-22-2018, 4:06 PM
That's a great thing about having my shop near the barn but kind of central on the farm. I can take a break and feed the llamas, check on the peacocks, walk up to the horses and see how active the bees are today, or up the hill to the house for a snack then a 1/4 mile one way to the mailbox. (I tell myself the exercise offsets the snack calories!)

JKJ

Yup...other diversions/interests really do help. For me, it's cooking or reading.

Roger Feeley
12-22-2018, 4:58 PM
I made a cup holder mounted it right over the light switch. That way I don’t forget my SS insulated mug.

Your turn.

Peter Christensen
12-22-2018, 5:08 PM
Being that I spill a lot I would never put a cup holder above anything electrical. Below sure bit not above. ;)

Keith Weber
12-23-2018, 6:17 AM
When using a nail gun, always keep your work-holding hand at least as far away from the business end of the nail gun, as the nail is long. I've seen nails of all sizes do a 180° turn and come out right next to where it went in.

Always turn off the portable air compressor at the end of the day. When I usually forget, it's usually right beside the bed where I'm sleeping. I go from sound asleep, horizontal to standing next to the bed in fight mode in about about 2 milliseconds when that (very loud) thing goes off.

John K Jordan
12-23-2018, 7:51 AM
Always turn off the portable air compressor at the end of the day. When I usually forget, it's usually right beside the bed where I'm sleeping.

Excellent general advice, even if not sleeping with the compressor. We know a gentleman who lost his shop to fire from an unattended compressor that failed to shut off. I turn the circuit to my shop compressor off every time I leave, using a disconnect switch good for 5hp motors.

Tim Bueler
12-23-2018, 11:35 AM

JKJ

We sold our beekeeping business and other livestock when we escaped "civilization". I do miss them...occasionally. Now we have timberland instead and all the associated wildlife. It's a great distraction and solution to an off day. Nothing to hear but the creek below and the wind in the trees.

Lee Schierer
12-23-2018, 5:37 PM
I turn the circuit to my shop compressor off every time I leave, using a disconnect switch good for 5hp motors.

This would be a great application for a 120 volt relay in the compressor start circuit controlled by the light switch.

Chris Parks
12-23-2018, 6:00 PM

My greatest failing, since childhood I never worn shoes unless forced to such as being at work and I feel very uncomfortable when doing so. I never wear gloves in the workshop either, dangerous uncomfortable things except while welding when burns are more uncomfortable.

Patrick Walsh
12-23-2018, 6:32 PM
I also am guilty of flip flops.

I have serious foot issues that result in major chronic foot pain. For whatever reason flip flops, sanuks and crocs are my savior.

I suppose I break all the common sense day one rules.

Hugh Watling
12-23-2018, 7:00 PM
Before I start any operation I ask myself three questions:

What am I about to do?
How can it hurt me?
What am I going to do to make sure that it will not hurt me?

Edwin Santos
12-23-2018, 7:10 PM

What am I about to do?
How can it hurt me?

Your three questions would also work equally well for investment management and for anyone contemplating marriage.

Martin Wasner
12-23-2018, 7:18 PM

What am I about to do?
How can it hurt me?

My variation is, "what am I doing, and why am I doing it?"

Dennis Ford
12-23-2018, 7:19 PM
I tell visitors that I have only one shop rule "Don't bleed on the wood".

Peter Kelly
12-23-2018, 8:43 PM
No gloves when hand feeding wood (or metal) at the machines.

Michael Callender
12-24-2018, 9:50 AM
This is a great topic no one mention tablesaw blade guards

Howard Pollack
12-24-2018, 10:00 AM
Never, never reach behind a moving saw blade of any sort. And, if an edge tool starts to fall off of a bench let it fall, don't try to catch it (ask me where that one came from...). I remember a teacher telling me "if it will cut wood think about what it will do to flesh."

Tony Roun
12-24-2018, 12:36 PM
I adopted a “2 minute drill” that we use at work. It’s a quick checklist to ask yourself before performing a task. How can I get hurt doing this? Do I have the appropriate PPE? Am I using the right tool? Are all safety devices in place? Am I in the line of Fire? Am I rushing, tired, or distracted?

If I don’t answer these questions correctly, then I pause and adjust. It’s a great muscle memory to have.

Larry Edgerton
12-25-2018, 5:29 AM
I work alone, and so after cutting a finger off when someone scared me from behind, I now lock the door when I am doing something intense.

Larry Edgerton
12-25-2018, 5:40 AM

I have those days. I go into every day with an objective in mind, what I want to have done at the end of the day. On those days I get rid of my goal and just get done what I can get done safely. I am going through a divorce, and at the beginning I was lost and probably got 4 hours work done in a 8 hour day, but I had to keep pressing forward as my clients have expectations that have to be met. I have no debt so I could stop, but my word is sacred, so I forge on at a pace that I can handle on those days.

Brian Henderson
12-25-2018, 2:24 PM
I work alone, and so after cutting a finger off when someone scared me from behind, I now lock the door when I am doing something intense.

Nobody ever steps foot in my shop but me. Ever. If they need me, they call me and I come into the house. Otherwise, it's a completely solo activity.

John K Jordan
12-25-2018, 5:22 PM
Never, never reach behind a moving saw blade of any sort. ...

Do you include bandsaw blades in "any sort"?

Jerome Sidley
12-25-2018, 7:35 PM
I'm sorry this is [unwise] how about if you cut something off and EMS has to get to you Never lock yourself from help.

John K Jordan
12-25-2018, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry this is [unwise] how about if you cut something off and EMS has to get to you Never lock yourself from help.

You might consider that one way is not necessarily right for every person. You may feel safer if your shop is unlocked but the situation of other people may be different. For example, I am also easily startled and it is unsafe if someone comes up behind me while I am running machinery. As I wrote earlier, I lock my shop when using power equipment.

My shop is in a rural area, in the middle of 27 acres, and behind a security gate and a field with two fences with guard llamas. The EMS, fire, police, and military are not even slowed down by llamas, fields, fences, gates, and locked doors.

Edwin Santos
12-26-2018, 12:34 AM
You might consider that one way is not necessarily right for every person. You may feel safer if your shop is unlocked but the situation of other people may be different. For example, I am also easily startled and it is unsafe if someone comes up behind me while I am running machinery. As I wrote earlier, I lock my shop when using power equipment.

My shop is in a rural area, in the middle of 27 acres, and behind a security gate and a field with two fences with guard llamas. The EMS, fire, police, and military are not even slowed down by llamas, fields, fences, gates, and locked doors.

It's a double edged sword. I can absolutely see where another person startling you could be dangerous. On the other hand, isolating oneself in a locked solo environment creates it's own risk. How would EMS know to get to you if you were incapacitated in your shop? For anyone else to find you, would they have to break in?
Not saying you're wrong and definitely not trying to make you change your habits, just saying that both schools of thought carry their own risks and I guess we each have to pick our poison.

George Werner
12-26-2018, 12:58 AM
I typically work alone in the shop (stand alone building about 120 feet from the house) and my wife rarely comes out without texting first. Since I'm starting our kitchen cabinet build my solo work time is coming to an end and the wife will be spending a lot of time coming and going to the shop so I bought a small lamp with a red light bulb to put in the window that I can turn on when I'm running any of the machines to warn her to not enter.

Larry Edgerton
12-26-2018, 6:13 AM
I have had three injuries in 40 years of doing this for a living. Each time it was someone startling me. When I am working I am all in, and I startle easy and dramatically. I'll stick with the locked door. If I can call EMS I can unlock the door. If I die in my shop that would be just fine, but I do not want to cut my hands any more. To each his own.

John K Jordan
12-26-2018, 9:31 AM
I typically work alone in the shop (stand alone building about 120 feet from the house) ... I bought a small lamp with a red light bulb to put in the window that I can turn on when I'm running any of the machines to warn her to not enter.

That's a good idea. My wife never visits but my son does. He always knocks and waits for a response even when he doesn't hear the cyclone DC running.

I suspect those who don't startle easily can't completely understand. I used to have a motion-activated sensor (from Radio Shack) that can make a gentle chime or loud beep. I put one of these in the stairwell of my basement studio when working on the computers (I only went to work on rare occasions) - startling was not dangerous in that environment except for the possible heart attack! A monitor like that might be nice outside the shop. I'm not startled by even loud beeps, just people (I have wireless driveway monitors that let me know when someone is at the gate or on the lane).

The arguments that EMS wouldn't know how to get to me if I were incapacitated doesn't make sense to me. How would EMS even know they needed to get to me? How would even family know to check unless I missed a couple of meals? (I often skip meals.) I'm with Larry - if I'm capable of calling for help I can unlock the door. If able to call but unable to move I would call family first who know how to get in and they could contact EMS. If family was not available I can give the emergency people the gate and door codes. If I'm unable to move OR call, well I've already lived a long, enriched life, more than my share.

BTW, for shop and house I use electronic locks that do not require a key but a 4-digit code typed into a keypad so I never have to carry a key. That way family and close friends can get in without first locating a key. For those who lock with a key consider giving a copy to a close friend. I have a key for the house of a friend who lives alone - so far I've only had to use it once to help him to the car to take him to the emergency room.

JKJ

Don Orr
12-26-2018, 12:44 PM
Wow, this a fantastic thread. I'm very impressed that everyone is so interested in keeping body parts attached and blood on the inside. I am as well.
I have trained my wife to wait until I stop doing anything with a power tool to get my attention, as I also startle easily when I am absorbed in a task.
The 1 thing I trained myself to do-and try to instill in anyone else-is a mantra I learned quite a while ago (maybe even here @ SMC). "Where will it go if it slips?" This applies to anything anywhere-tools, knives, screwdrivers, etc. in the shop, kitchen, yard, car, etc. It takes just a second to say it to yourself and think about what you are going to do. Similar ideas have already been mentioned. This has saved me many times. Any idea how much it hurts and bleeds if you drive a rusty, dull, #2 Philips screwdriver into your palm because it slipped out of the screw? I do. But that was before I learned my mantra.

Stay safe everyone and Happy New Year!

Lee Schierer
12-26-2018, 7:41 PM

A simple sign on the door saying: "if you hear tools running please wait to enter until they are turned off." Would likely solve your problem.

Brian Henderson
12-27-2018, 10:22 AM
A simple sign on the door saying: "if you hear tools running please wait to enter until they are turned off." Would likely solve your problem.

Someone needs to market an automated door lock that locks the door when the tools are turned on and unlocks it when they are off, just like the automatic dust collector switches.

Martin Wasner
12-27-2018, 9:16 PM

Most people think they are special and the sign does not apply to them.

Tom M King
12-27-2018, 10:55 PM
I have such a sign, but he breathes, and is 6-6, 320. He doesn't talk much, and neither does anyone else when he says be quiet.

Larry Edgerton
12-28-2018, 6:11 AM

Exactly. So now that you have the false sense of security with the sign, you jump twice as bad. To compound my problem my shop is now in the middle of a huge state forest, so visitors that are not expected are rare and I am used to being alone.

Carl Beckett
12-28-2018, 7:20 AM
My shop door is all glass. This means when someone walks up, it is obvious and so I see them coming. My kids and wife come out to the shop from time to time, and stand and wait for me to see them before interrupting. At first I didnt like an all glass door for fear of breaking (but it was a good price!). After having it a while, I like it.

Personally I do not like working solo without someone available to help. Even if not in the shop, I like someone around to come to the aid. Yes I have a cell phone. But I have went 'out' a couple times for other reasons (not while in the shop) and it would have been a struggle to call 911 by myself while the bp is crashing and I go to the floor. Near death experiences are humbling. Have also had a TS accident some years ago. Not as bad as it could have been. But it was nice to have someone to drive me to the ER. Ya I prolly could have made it on my own, but would have been a bloody mess all over the auto...

This list is what 'your' safety rules are. It is a personal choice (imo). There is no 1 'right' answer. But then again I believe in the right to die and to live life with the choices you make and not impose all your opinions and beliefs on others. So ya, safety becomes philosophical.

Lee Schierer
12-28-2018, 7:57 AM

Unless your shop is in a high traffic area that is open to the public you can easily train people (family) to not enter your shop when you are running a power tool. I know it has worked for me for over45 years. They will wait quietly outside the door until it is safe for them to enter.

Rod Sheridan
12-28-2018, 8:12 AM

My kids actually gave me one of our shop rules, they learned it in shop class in high school.

When machines are running and they want my attention they flick the lights on and off, that way I know they want to talk to me, and it doesn't startle me.........Rod.

Patrick McCarthy
12-28-2018, 9:07 AM
Someone needs to market an automated door lock that locks the door when the tools are turned on and unlocks it when they are off, just like the automatic dust collector switches.

Brian, i tend to disagree . . . Unless all your power tools are like SawStop and shut off. IF there is an accident while you are using a power tool and it keeps running, but you need help, the door is still locked while you bleed out . . . .

Not sure i have the perfect solution, but i think lock-outs present more negatives than positives. If you want to have something integrated to the opening of a door, perhaps 2 or 3 (depending on visual fields and size of shop) red alert lights that automatically flash several times when the door is opened. I think i would prefer that to someone turning the lights off and back on, which i also think could startle an intent-on-the-cut-in-process woodworker. YMMV, JMCO

Great thread; can never think too much about the safety of our work/play environment. Appreciate the thoughts of all who have participated. Patrick

Jim Becker
12-28-2018, 9:17 AM
I thought about something I'm somewhat anal about which is safety related in my shop..."end of day", I make sure all blades/cutters are retracted and machine surfaces cleaned off. There's nothing fun about accidentally brushing one's hand across a table saw blade's teeth that are protruding from the machine when it's not in use...well, the same could be said for when it IS in use, but I think you catch my drift...

JOSHUA HART
12-28-2018, 11:34 AM
My only, possibly unique, rule is that I never crank the shop radio loud enough to hear it while a power tool is in use. Especially the table saw. A lot of times the tool will let you know what it likes and doesn't. But you have to listen. My eldest son is in the cub scouts and a few times a year they have had the meeting at my house so that we can work on wood projects. I have a large whiteboard that I use for cut lists and use it to list shop rules for the boys. I always start the meeting by discussing shop safety and have found that allowing the boys (or so they think) to create the rules to add to the whiteboard is a better way to get them to take ownership of them.
My number one rule never changes though: "Tools don't have brains; so use yours!"

Edwin Santos
12-28-2018, 12:28 PM

Unless you happen to be in Canada, where people seem to be very polite.

Peter Christensen
12-28-2018, 12:39 PM
Thank you.

Brian Holcombe
12-28-2018, 1:21 PM
I feel the same as Larry, I’ve had people startle me badly. I’m usually in the zone when working and don’t like people walking up behind me and speaking loud enough to get my attention.

My father taught me to stand aside until the person stops what they’re doing. He hated being startled while welding in a home shop.

Martin Wasner
12-28-2018, 5:47 PM
I feel the same as Larry, I’ve had people startle me badly. I’m usually in the zone when working and don’t like people walking up behind me and speaking loud enough to get my attention.

My father taught me to stand aside until the person stops what they’re doing. He hated being startled while welding in a home shop.

Anyone who works in manufacturing carries a similar attitude.

I used to spook easily being that I worked almost solely alone for so long. Now I'm semi impervious to it, but if I think I'm alone I'll still jump.

Which just reminded me of a landlord coming up behind me at the old shop and yelling something and scaring the snot out of me. Had something gone wrong, he wouldn't have fared well. I'm pretty sure that doofus had a missing chromosome.

Rob Luter
01-03-2019, 7:24 AM
To keep things in context, I have a small basement shop where I work alone.

Unique to me?

- Table Saw and other corded tools unplugged except when using to avoid accidental activation.

Not unique to me:

- Eye protection.
- Hearing protection.
- Always use feather boards, push sticks, etc.
- Keep things tidy.
- Try not to do anything stupid.

Brian Holcombe
01-03-2019, 8:57 AM
Anyone who works in manufacturing carries a similar attitude.

I used to spook easily being that I worked almost solely alone for so long. Now I'm semi impervious to it, but if I think I'm alone I'll still jump.

Which just reminded me of a landlord coming up behind me at the old shop and yelling something and scaring the snot out of me. Had something gone wrong, he wouldn't have fared well. I'm pretty sure that doofus had a missing chromosome.

Thats the case for me as well, when I worked with other people around it was more expected and I wouldn't jump, but now I'm working by myself so I don't expect anyone arriving without notice. When they do it scares me.

My wife suggested putting a light on the wall, I might do that. I have a three year old though, so once he realizes that a switch inside the house gets my attention it will be flashing constantly. :D

Jessica de Boer
01-03-2019, 10:31 AM
It's not a safety rule but I have a life size cut out of myself next to the door of my shop where everyone who wants to enter has to pay homage to me.

Jim Becker
01-03-2019, 10:39 AM
It's not a safety rule but I have a life size cut out of myself next to the door of my shop where everyone who wants to enter has to pay homage to me.
I don't think I'll emulate that...it would scare people away. Then again, given the theme of this thread, that might be a good thing if I'm running machinery. LOL

John K Jordan
01-04-2019, 3:51 PM

Yikes, I've never thought of that! I have a life-sized cardboard cutout of me from my retirement event but I'm wearing a tux. That doesn't seem appropriate for the shop. Maybe I'll put it by the chicken house instead.

JKJ

Jim Becker
01-04-2019, 5:12 PM
It might scare the llamas, John... :) :D

John K Jordan
01-04-2019, 10:28 PM
It might scare the llamas, John... :) :D

Heck no, the dress code is tough around here so they're used to it. Here we are getting ready to take the 4-wheeler down to the barn to muck out the stalls.

It's the shop visitors I'm worried about.

JKJ

Mel Fulks
01-05-2019, 12:15 AM
what a nice shot ,John !

John K Jordan
01-05-2019, 9:06 AM
what a nice shot ,John !

Thanks!

Um, confession time. I know everyone was fooled but I was actually untruthful about wearing the tux around the farm. [head low in shame]

In 2006 some of us at ORNL were dragged, kicking and screaming, to a tux rental service. Five of our R&D team went to a lah-di-dah gala in Chicago for an R&D 100 award: https://www.rd100conference.com/awards/winners-finalists/445/power-my-building-please/ We developed a way to collect sunlight with a large parabolic collector on a roof and pipe it into a building with a fiber optic about 1/2" in diameter. There was so much energy in the fiber that something combustible held near the end would burst into flame! Good clean fun.

Nick Decker
01-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Good clean fun, indeed, John. Cool!

Gary Radice
01-05-2019, 9:24 PM
Three things that I do not mentioned yet. I work alone in a home garage shop. First, I keep a Dylos particle meter on when I'm working to let me know when fine dust levels are unhealthy. If they are, I open the garage door for a few minutes and air the place out. The meter is great since you can't see the fine dust. Second, I keep two ear muff style sound attenuators in the shop hanging in easy reach by the noisiest machines (table saw, jointer, router, planer, bandsaw). Having two means I'm never more than a step away from hearing protection when I need it. Third: I wear glasses and I bought shop safety trifocals to replace my regular progressive lenses. The safety glasses are trifocals that have near vision correction at top and bottom. The near vision correction at the top is great for those times when you have to look up from under a machine to adjust it.

Scott Winners
01-09-2019, 8:52 PM
I unplug all my tools at the end of the day. I got into the habit when I had kids at home and it makes sense to me to keep the habit so I am in it when the grandkids come along. I use one extension cord around the shop (usually) and drag it around to plug in whatever tool I need now, and then unplug it and head to the next one. When I am in the thick of planking up a boat I might have two or three tools (jigsaw, circular saw and drill most likely) on one power strip under the boat so when I am at the hull all three are available one at a time, but if I need the band saw I take the power with me.

I think the tools are perfectly safe plugged in, it is little ones in the shop unsupervised I am more concerned about, and I can't be everywhere all the time.

Good thread.

I also use my forestry helmet in the shop. Mine's Husqvarna, I think the Stihl one is pretty identical, flip down face visor, hard hat and hearing protection all in one. The point is I use it, and it is bright orange so easy to find.

Roger Nair
01-10-2019, 12:49 AM
The one thing I stress is to understand the reaction forces generated by power tools and all the ways that off-cuts and workpieces can be air-borne. Know what are the risks of seizure and pinching of blades and the direction of ejected pieces and the circumstances of hand held tools to seize, go air-borne or twist and wrench the operator or even knock the operator off their feet. My shop was for working heavy timber and the hand held tools are very large and the forces beyond ordinary tools but the potential remains the same in the type of risk but at a different scale.

Norman Pirollo
01-10-2019, 9:02 AM

Ha,ha.. Good one! :)

Russell Barnes
01-19-2019, 2:16 AM

Your turn.

1) I have a separate electrical quick disconnect off/on box for my 220 circuits. It has a larger red dome light on the top that I found and adapted to the top of the box. The box is mounted externally on the inside wall in plain view. The light is on when the power is on. Whenever I am changing blades on the table saw, band saw etc, not only do I cut of the power at the quick disconnect box, but right before I am doing it, I look over to make sure the red dome light is not on just in case I forgot to switch off power. The red light may be a little over kill since these boxes have a large lever that you can also look at to see if it is on or off. Still have all my fingers and no close calls...