PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID help, take a shot at it

Jon Grider
12-15-2018, 2:25 PM
I scavenged this wood from a shipping pallet about 10 years ago and ran across it while doing some housecleaning in my wood storage area. It has a slightly greenish/yellow hue, beautiful curl figure as you can see and when cut, smells like sweaty underwear. The end grain looks pretty diffuse to me, and as I recall, there were other boards on the pallet that did not have the curl figure. I believe it was a domestic pallet. 398821398821398821398822398822 Sorry for the repeat images and disconnected text, I'm not sure what I did.

Prashun Patel
12-15-2018, 2:47 PM
I’m going with curly maple.

The color and end grain reminds me more of sycamore that I’ve used, but I have never seen it have that kind of curl.

Sycamaple?

Nice find.

Mark Bolton
12-15-2018, 2:52 PM
Figure sure looks like curly Maple but to pourous rings and voids dont. Im going with some sort of fast growing tropical cane-like tree. Have no idea what that is but I dont think its any domestic.

John K Jordan
12-15-2018, 6:29 PM
This page with curly maple examples shows some end grain.

I can't see any ring porosity in Jon's photo.

Barry Richardson
12-15-2018, 7:53 PM
could be box elder, it's stinky....

Jon Grider
12-16-2018, 8:37 AM
I'm not thinking it's in the maple family, it does not look like the curly maple stash I have and it's considerably lighter than soft maple. My first impression was poplar because of the color, but I've not seen poplar with that pronounced a curl figure. And the smell is powerful, my wife was disgusted with the odor when she visited my shop 15 minutes after I sliced the end off the board on the SCMS and this is after a decade's worth of air drying. Perhaps Mark B has it right.
Thanks for the input, feel free to add on.

Jim Becker
12-16-2018, 9:38 AM
The smell may be the clue...the only thing I've had that had a similar smell was elm. Poplar has a clean smell to it. Maple almost no smell. But from a pallet, it could have come from somewhere else in the world, too, which could make it harder to identify exactly. So I would just call it "beautiful wood" and make something with it!

Peter Christensen
12-16-2018, 10:57 AM
You can always send a sample to the Forest Products Lab and they will tell you for sure.

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research/centers/woodanatomy/wood_idfactsheet.php

John K Jordan
12-16-2018, 3:51 PM
....So I would just call it "beautiful wood" and make something with it!

And if someone asks,

Gary Ragatz
12-16-2018, 5:41 PM
The smell may be the clue...the only thing I've had that had a similar smell was elm.

Not to suggest that this is the answer to the OP's question, but I've always thought oak smells like sweat or urine.

Frank Pratt
12-16-2018, 7:20 PM
Not to suggest that this is the answer to the OP's question, but I've always thought oak smells like sweat or urine.

That would be red oak.

Jim Andrew
12-16-2018, 9:22 PM
Cottonwood has a funky smell, and it is about the right color.

Matt Day
12-16-2018, 9:47 PM
Pics aren’t the best, but I’m going with curly maple cut with dull blades.