PDA

View Full Version : USB HUB not Working

Bert Kemp
12-15-2018, 11:13 AM
When I plug the usb hub into my laptop anything I plug into the hub does not work. I've tried several different hubs and none work in the laptop. They all work if I plug into a PC. I only have 2 USB ports on my laptop and I need 3. So if anyone could help me getting a hub that work it would be awesome .

Roy Petersen
12-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Sounds as though you need updated drivers on the laptop. If you don't have the disk that came with it, determine the manufacturer, and do a search for drivers for your laptop's OS.

Ronald Blue
12-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Do both the USB ports work when you plug into them with other devices? What are you plugging into the hub? You might need a powered hub. It's possible there isn't enough power available. I think a port can only handle up to 0.5 amp and that's total load. If you use a powered hub it supplies that to each port. I don't know why it works on your desktop and not your laptop unless it is a power issue.

Bert Kemp
12-15-2018, 12:48 PM
Do both the USB ports work when you plug into them with other devices? What are you plugging into the hub? You might need a powered hub. It's possible there isn't enough power available. I think a port can only handle up to 0.5 amp and that's total load. If you use a powered hub it supplies that to each port. I don't know why it works on your desktop and not your laptop unless it is a power issue.

oesn't matter what I plug into it ti doesn't work. I tried a mouse, a keyboard and a small lite base nothing works off the hub, yet they all work when I plug the hub into the PC desktop.If I plug everything dirrectly into the USB port they work fine just not thry thru the hub.
D

Jim Becker
12-15-2018, 1:30 PM
What you are describing seems to be a problem with the USB port(s) on the laptop, not the devices, since you say that anything you plug in doesn't work. That could be something as "simple" as a "driver" in the OS or could indicate failure of the USB components in the computer. If you have a local computer repair place, they can probably help you determine which is the issue if you're not comfortable troubleshooting things yourself...which have to be done physically on the machine. It's hard to diagnose this with just words, unfortunately.

Mike Henderson
12-15-2018, 1:35 PM
What are the USB ports on your laptop - USB 2, USB 3 or USB-C? I've used the Amazon Basic USB 3 hub into a USB 3 port and had no problems. As someone else suggested, try a powered hub.

I have had a problem with a hub with USB-3 ports plugged into a USB-C port. Computer didn't see the USB-3 device.

Mike

Roy Petersen
12-15-2018, 1:37 PM
That could be something as "simple" as a "driver" in the OS
Did I not say it correctly? ;)

Sounds as though you need updated drivers on the laptop. If you don't have the disk that came with it, determine the manufacturer, and do a search for drivers for your laptop's OS.

Kev Williams
12-15-2018, 2:48 PM
Let's see, my old camera's USB port went bad years ago, 3 computers around here have non-working ports. I have several bad USB cables, one of them a self-powered extension cable that worked great, then one day poof, doesn't work.

One of my kids is a computer geek, he tells me when USB cables and ports go bad, they're done.

So, just get yourself a 4-port USB hub and plug into the good one. Ahh, but which one? I've bought many, most aren't worth the postage, BUT I recently got TWO of these:
They've been in use for a couple months and unlike many I've bought, they work flawlessly. Short cord, self powered, $8 on Amazon, free one day shipping, highly recommend... :)

Lee DeRaud
12-15-2018, 2:53 PM
You might need a powered hub. It's possible there isn't enough power available. I think a port can only handle up to 0.5 amp and that's total load. If you use a powered hub it supplies that to each port. I don't know why it works on your desktop and not your laptop unless it is a power issue.What he said. The USB ports on laptops are sometimes grossly underpowered, mostly in an effort to enhance battery life.

I'd try plugging in the hub with just a mouse and see if the LED on the bottom of the mouse lights up. If not, power problem. You might also check the power settings to see if the OS has been told it can power off the port to conserve battery power...you don't want that.

Re driver issues, yeah it can happen, but usually not at the hub level. Look in Device Manager and see if the hub itself shows up when you plug it in.

Jim Becker
12-15-2018, 8:08 PM
Did I not say it correctly? ;)
I was agreeing with you Roy.

Bert Kemp
12-15-2018, 9:21 PM
What you are describing seems to be a problem with the USB port(s) on the laptop, not the devices, since you say that anything you plug in doesn't work. That could be something as "simple" as a "driver" in the OS or could indicate failure of the USB components in the computer. If you have a local computer repair place, they can probably help you determine which is the issue if you're not comfortable troubleshooting things yourself...which have to be done physically on the machine. It's hard to diagnose this with just words, unfortunately.No If I plug into the laptop they work fine, if I plug the hub into the laptop then plug anything into the hug it does not work

Bert Kemp
12-15-2018, 9:24 PM
Kev the ports on the laptop work it when I plug the 4 port hub in that nothing plugged into the hub workd

Bert Kemp
12-15-2018, 9:25 PM
What he said. The USB ports on laptops are sometimes grossly underpowered, mostly in an effort to enhance battery life.

I'd try plugging in the hub with just a mouse and see if the LED on the bottom of the mouse lights up. If not, power problem. You might also check the power settings to see if the OS has been told it can power off the port to conserve battery power...you don't want that.

Re driver issues, yeah it can happen, but usually not at the hub level. Look in Device Manager and see if the hub itself shows up when you plug it in.

o the mouse light does not come on so I guess a powered hud I must try thanks
N

Edwin Santos
12-15-2018, 10:53 PM
Long shot here but have you tried powering down and rebooting the laptop.
Sometimes the system loses sight of these devices and regains it on startup. That's about all I can add....

Bert Kemp
12-16-2018, 1:54 PM
I went into the power options and turned off the power saver and gave it full power, the screen got real bright, I plugged in the mouse to the 4 usb hub and the mouse light came on ,but it would not move the cursor around, I plugged in the dongle for the laser and it lite up but then tried to open laser cut I got a no communication error. I hate to go buy a power hub and find it stilll doesn't work, but guess thats my only option.

Lee DeRaud
12-16-2018, 2:31 PM
I hate to go buy a power hub and find it stilll doesn't work, but guess thats my only option.Which is why I buy most of my small tech widgets from Amazon instead of Best Buy or Frys: returns are so much easier.

Jim Becker
12-16-2018, 3:46 PM
Which is why I buy most of my small tech widgets from Amazon instead of Best Buy or Frys: returns are so much easier.

Amazon for me. And the "Amazon Basics" powered hubs are pretty good for the money, too.

Curt Harms
12-17-2018, 7:15 AM
Which is why I buy most of my small tech widgets from Amazon instead of Best Buy or Frys: returns are so much easier.

That depends. I just bought from a combination coax/RJ45 cover plate and after taking things apart discovered I didn't need it. I would have had to pay $5.99 in shipping so would have gotten $2.96 back from an $8.95 purchase. A lot of stuff on Amazon is not sold by Amazon but by 3rd party vendors, many of which do not offer free returns. On topic, I too would try a powered hub.

Lee DeRaud
12-17-2018, 10:40 AM
That depends. I just bought from a combination coax/RJ45 cover plate and after taking things apart discovered I didn't need it. I would have had to pay $5.99 in shipping so would have gotten $2.96 back from an $8.95 purchase. A lot of stuff on Amazon is not sold by Amazon but by 3rd party vendors, many of which do not offer free returns.That's why I said "most", but it's certainly easy enough to determine the source and return policy before the order is placed.

Shawn Siegrist
12-17-2018, 11:59 PM
Check out plugable technology’s. I’ve gotten cables, adapters, and hubs from them with great success. They are available on amazon too.