PDA

View Full Version : Shopfox or Grizzly?

Dave Carson
12-01-2005, 11:26 AM
You have all convinced me to pass on the Craftsman saw and get the Griz 0555. However, the Griz is $485 delivered to me with shipping and tax. The Shopfox is $530 tax included. I can get the Jet for around $522 tax included (because of a special coupon and jet rebate).

Shopfox - cast iron wheels, 2 year warranty.

What would you do?

Thanks
Dave

John Miliunas
12-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Dave, over the course of the life of the tool in question, you're literally talking pennies! Personally, if one of those units is local, that's the one I'd go for!:) I'm sure all three are otherwise quite comparable.:) :cool:

Maurice Ungaro
12-01-2005, 11:40 AM
The cast iron wheels can really be a nice bonus, as the inertia (once it powers up to speed can help plow through material. Shop Fox and Griz may come out of the same factories, with the Shop Fox having a slight advantage on finish. Just MHO.

scott spencer
12-01-2005, 12:08 PM
I like buying locally when I can, and I prefer cast iron wheels. If the SF provides both, bet you can guess my vote!

Charlie Plesums
12-01-2005, 12:44 PM
I had the Jet 14 inch closed base, and upgraded to the less expensive Grizzly G0555. They are made from the same castings, but the Grizzly has far better dust collection, better guides, tension release, fence, and other features that the Jet didn't have.

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2005, 2:07 PM
I agree with Charlie. It has all the things he mentioned and is not costing you to add them. With Jet you have to buy a fence, mitre, guide bearings or something suitable, etc. Grizzly comes with it all. With a TW or Woodslicer blade I find the Grizzly hard to beat for the money.

John Bailey
12-01-2005, 2:22 PM
Dave,

You might want to check the fence on the Shop Fox also. I'm a little hazy here, but when I saw the Shop Fox 14" I think it had an upgraded fence at the time. I remember thinking it was a better value because of the weight, cast iron wheels and fence, especially when you considered shipping from Grizzly and buying local.

John

Vaughn McMillan
12-01-2005, 2:56 PM
Dave, I'm leaning the same way you are regarding the Craftsman and the G0555. Although I think the Sears saw is the nicest and most substantial piece of equipment I've seen for $300, I'm about convinced to go for bigger resaw capacity in the future. Where did you find the Shop Fox for sale?

- Vaughn

Dave Carson
12-01-2005, 3:34 PM
Hamilton tool is a small tool store in my area. He didn't indicate if that was a sale price or his regular price. They mostly sell old machines there but he happens to be a SF dealer.

Do you want contact info?

Dave

Vaughn McMillan
12-01-2005, 4:49 PM
Sure Dave, you can PM the contact info to me. I don't know where you are, so can't tell if it'd something local to me. I'll also do a bit more searching for a local dealer that carries Shop Fox. I'm with John M when it comes to buying local vs. having it shipped.

- Vaughn