PDA

View Full Version : New chuck jaws

Paul St.Onge
12-13-2018, 8:06 PM
Hello all!! I'm in the market for new set of jaws for my Nova G3 chuck. What would you all recommend for turning bowls of 16+ inches. The greater the gripping power the better in my opinion. Looking forward to all the info and recommendations! Thanks!!

John Keeton
12-13-2018, 9:49 PM
At least an SN2 with 75 or 100mm jaws. The G3 is intended for a 14” capacity. You can probably handle more shallow bowls at 16”, but you are pushing the limit.

Thomas Canfield
12-13-2018, 10:15 PM
I like the 75 mm jaws for up to the 14" limit of the G3 but agree with John that you need larger chuck body for 16" + diameter and there I like the 100 mm. I have #3 jaws on Oneway Talon and #4 jaws on Oneway Stronghold which would compare to the G3 and SN2 mentioned.

John K Jordan
12-14-2018, 12:44 PM
Hello all!! I'm in the market for new set of jaws for my Nova G3 chuck. What would you all recommend for turning bowls of 16+ inches. The greater the gripping power the better in my opinion. Looking forward to all the info and recommendations! Thanks!!

It might be ok for a 16" platter or a very shallow bowl or very light weight dry wood, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with a large, heavy blank on the G3. (I have some G3, SN, SN2, and Titan chucks.)

This may be a perfect opportunity to treat yourself to a Christmas present! Having more than one chuck gives a lot of flexibility. Just yesterday I used three chucks to simplify one 3-part turning. I generally look for used chucks or sales. I see there are some decent deals on ebay - one has the SN2 plus the insert needed to fit your lathe.

I like the Power Grip jaws, the 75mm and the 100mm or larger, depending on the size and shape of the bowl and whether I'm using a tenon or recess. The Record Power jaws also fit the Novas - does Woodcraft still have them on sale? Sometimes you can find people wanting to sell used jaws.

JKJ

Paul St.Onge
12-14-2018, 6:53 PM
Thanks foe the help guys!! An early Christmas present may be on order soon. Thanks again!!