PDA

View Full Version : Track saw or table saw?

Mike Manning
12-12-2018, 11:26 PM
In another thread this week, I mentioned my son does hand painted signs. He's had a very good last couple of years. He is in the process of moving from his 1-1/2 car garage/shop to some leased space which he shares with a friend who has an upholstery business. So he is talking about wanting a table saw that he can cut panels (8' x 4') of MDO for signs. He wants the capability to cut 4' rips of sheet stock. He has never been around woodworking equipment. Just recently cut some sheet stock on one of my table saws a Delta contractor's saw. I'm trying to suggest that he'd be better off going with a track saw. I have several reasons for trying to push him in this direction - 1) cost, 2) not permanently taking up shop floor space and 3) SAFETY! This son of mine has grown into a wonderful person. He made a lot of the same mistakes I made growing up with one difference - LUCK! I was always incredibly lucky and his experience has been almost the opposite. So the thought of him buying and using a very serious piece of equipment like a table saw has me petrified. His reasons for wanting a table saw is that he could easily and quickly cut sheet goods down with repeatable and accurate results (eg, boards are square, sides parallel, etc). He doesn't think he wants to spend the time constantly setting up to cut with a track saw.

I went to his shop today for the first time and having a cabinet saw in there is going to be a problem real quick for them I believe. I also think he may understand that as well. He had some questions about how track saws work and their capabilities and limitations. I have no experience using a track saw. I told him I'd ask you guys and get back to him.

What I'm suggesting to him is he could use saw horses with a cutting platform on top to cut his sheet goods but then be able to break that down fairly quickly and get it out of the way. He asked if you can use them to cut small pieces like 4" x 12" or smaller? Maybe it would be easier and better if anyone is aware of any good discussions or websites that talk about how a track saw works and it's limitations. ??? I also told him that the track saws are contained and most have dust collection built-in. This really appealed to him as the other person sharing his shop is concerned about sawdust on her upholstery fabric.

Arguments for and against are appreciated as well as links to other worthwhile and useful sites. Also, how would you guys rate the various manufacturer's track saws?

Thanks!
Mike

PS My son will be 32 this month but as parents do we ever stop worrying about our children?

Doug Garson
12-13-2018, 12:18 AM
I'm sure he will get lots of good advice from tracksaw users (I'm not as I don't work much with sheet goods but if I was I would definitely have one) but suggest you check out Peter Millard's Youtube channel, he uses a tracksaw almost exclusively and has done several videos comparing different brands and showing various jigs and tricks to get repeatable results. He works mainly in sheet goods and works in a small shop. Here's one of his videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8sagpnlF1Q

Bryan Lisowski
12-13-2018, 12:33 AM
I would definitely have him get a track saw, especially with him cutting 4x8 sheets.

andy bessette
12-13-2018, 12:48 AM
...He asked if you can use them to cut small pieces like 4" x 12" or smaller?...

No. As good as the track saws are (Festool, anyway) making repeatable cuts that size is the bread & butter of table and radial arm saws. Track and vertical [anel saws are great for breaking down 4' x 8' sheets.

Ben Grefe
12-13-2018, 1:19 AM
I’ve given up on breaking down full sheet goods on my cabinet saw. Between the hassle of getting 4x8 sheets home in my SUV, into the shop (with basically a single wide door) and onto the saw - the track saw has been a revelation. However, once I get sheets to rough size, I usually finish everything up on the table saw.

I think with a MFT (or copy cat version) and table mounted track, you can safely cut 4”x12” pieces, but you’d have to be diligent with your jigs. I think the track saw is no safer than the table saw at this point.

I have the cordless Makita track saw. I really enjoy using it.

John Goodin
12-13-2018, 1:40 AM
I wonder if a track saw and small bench top table saw would be a great combination. The Makita and Dewalt are great track saws at reasonable price and there are many small table saws to choose that can handle the job. The two save space, are portable and seem to meet his needs. If it is not out of reach financially it solves his dilemma of which tool to get.

Derek Cohen
12-13-2018, 2:30 AM
Mike, I would suggest a vertical panel saw. This is placed against a wall, where it takes little space. It can do repeated cuts.

Here is a shop made version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEceC0sKzqY

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Cutler
12-13-2018, 4:31 AM
I'm with Derek
If it's going to be the norm for him to breakdown sheet goods, a panel saw is the way to go.
I have a Festool TS75 and I also have a set of EZ rails. They're nice for the occasional breakdown of sheet goods, but I wouldn't want to use them to do it on a permanent basis, as my sole method.
Panel saw, or slider, would get my nod.

Michelle Rich
12-13-2018, 6:04 AM
track saw to break down big sheets and a tablesaw to cut smaller pieces. I believe he will have to have both to be efficient

Carl Beckett
12-13-2018, 8:24 AM
I was in a sign shop recently. They were working with a lot of acrylic, which started as 4x8 sheets. They had a cabinet (table) saw with extensions all around where a 4x8 sheet could lay for pretty much any size of cut and be supported. Looked like it doubled as a work surface.

Once pieces are broken down, I cannot imagine using a track saw for every little cut.

But having said that, it sounds like part of your concern is safety - thinking the track saw may be safer. Could be - as long as you dont try doing something with it that it is not well suited for (this is usually what gets me in trouble). This is where surrounding support tables help a lot from a safety standpoint on the table saw. (he simply laid out a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" thk acrylic, set it against the fence, and pushed it through. Very controlled, effortless and pretty safe imo. If he doesnt have the space for the supporting tables all around, I would suggest a table saw then becomes the least safe method.

And cost - by all means buy one of each (panel, track, table saw), but it sounds like this might not be the most practical in this case and staying within a budget could make some sense. A miter saw, combined with a panel saw, might make a good combo. Saves space and the miter saw can be used on smaller pieces. But not an inexpensive solution.

What is the priority?

Safety?
Cost?
Efficiency?
Quality of cut?
Versatility?

Probably some tradeoffs here, which you will have to judge.

ChrisA Edwards
12-13-2018, 8:35 AM
If space is limited, my choices would be a table top tablesaw and a track saw.

With sheet goods, my first cut is nearly always using a track saw with my sheet lying on top of a sheet of 2" solid foam insulation board. There are several aftermarket attachments for track saw tracks that help you make repeatable and 90 degree cuts.

I built a 20' store counter out of cherry veneered plywood and trimmed it with Walnut, using these two tools, in the store onsite.

Robert Engel
12-13-2018, 9:37 AM
Sounds to me like a track saw will do the job. I looked hard at DeWalt and Festool and went with the Festool, partly because of their dust extractor. Festool also has options for crosscutting with the multipurpose table.

A table saw gives you other capabilities like dados, ripping solid wood, accurate xcutting with a sled, making repeatable, accurate cuts, etc. This may not be a priority with the work he is doing.

So my advice is get a tracksaw first, a table saw later if the need arises, and get a SawStop since you're concerned about safety..

Art Mann
12-13-2018, 10:19 AM
I carve small signs in wood and sheet PVC on my CNC router pretty often. I have and use both a track saw and a table saw. I would not want to do without either one but if I had to, I would give up the track saw first.

Mike Manning
12-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Thanks guys. A lot of good comments. I will talk to him about it and share the collective thoughts. I am not sure he really has enough space to have a TS in there with the supporting tables around it to handle sheet goods considering that it's shared space. Ultimately though, it is his decision, his money, his safety.

Will Boulware
12-13-2018, 11:09 AM
One more thing to think about - Dust collection. He's a sign painter. The last thing he needs is a room full of dust fouling his finishes. If he goes with a table saw, he needs to either close off the cutting section from the painting section or install a top shelf dust collection system on it. Barring a real panel saw, a track saw with a proper dust collector (I can only speak to my Festool vac, and it's GOOD), would solve a lot of these problems and really keep the space issue to a minimum. For the small pieces, a decent jobsite saw that could be wheeled outside to keep the dust down would be good too.

Mike Manning
12-13-2018, 12:52 PM
One more thing to think about - Dust collection. He's a sign painter. The last thing he needs is a room full of dust fouling his finishes. If he goes with a table saw, he needs to either close off the cutting section from the painting section or install a top shelf dust collection system on it. Barring a real panel saw, a track saw with a proper dust collector (I can only speak to my Festool vac, and it's GOOD), would solve a lot of these problems and really keep the space issue to a minimum. For the small pieces, a decent jobsite saw that could be wheeled outside to keep the dust down would be good too.

Will,
Your comments regarding the dust collection are a big part of my argument to go with the track saw and it's good ability to collect dust. For myself, I'm leaning toward suggesting a RAS for those smaller pieces. Personally, I much prefer a table saw to a RAS but I think the RAS would be a safer bet for him. At least, until he has some experience. And I've already suggested he just may need to do his cutting outside due to the issues with dust. I'll let you guys know what he decides if and when he does.

Thanks!

Jim Becker
12-13-2018, 12:55 PM
I vote for "both" for all the reasons stated. A quality track saw system to break down large sheets and cut the larger panels from the get-go. A quality table saw with minimum configuration and equipped for mobility to cut the smaller panels from material already broken down by the track saw. Best of both worlds with minimum space requirements.

Maurice Arney
12-13-2018, 1:14 PM
I agree with Jim above. I use my track saw to break down large sheets. It was relatively inexpensive, very accurate, and easily stows away taking up little space. Track saw is not good for cutting smaller pieces however. But if all he needs to do is cut down larger panels, I vote for the track saw for all the reasons mentioned.

matt romanowski
12-13-2018, 2:59 PM
I would say if you are worried about safety, then you need to frame the decision as SawStop versus track saw. For the track saw, he's going to want the TSO Guide Rail Square and something like the Seneca Woodworking parallel guide system. He would need some dust collection with either.

For track saws, I would suggest looking at the cordless Makita w/ the 55" track, buy the 118" track, and the two products outlined above.

ChrisA Edwards
12-13-2018, 5:41 PM
I don't have this system, but it might give you some ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4O9GYpMedI

Van Huskey
12-13-2018, 5:58 PM
No. As good as the track saws are (Festool, anyway) making repeatable cuts that size is the bread & butter of table and radial arm saws. Track and vertical [anel saws are great for breaking down 4' x 8' sheets.

With an MFT or similar DIY setup (with a bridge or Parfdogs) 4" x 12" is still well within the range of cuts for a tracksaw, I do similar sized pieces all the time though usually hardwood. There is a lower limit to size for this type of setup but it is significantly smaller than 4 x 12.

Both is usually a good answer to the OPs question but if it is sheet goods only I would likely use just the tracksaw/MFT type table even though I have both options.

Jim Becker
12-13-2018, 7:03 PM
With an MFT or similar DIY setup (with a bridge or Parfdogs) 4" x 12" is still well within the range of cuts for a tracksaw, I do similar sized pieces all the time though usually hardwood. There is a lower limit to size for this type of setup but it is significantly smaller than 4 x 12.

Both is usually a good answer to the OPs question but if it is sheet goods only I would likely use just the tracksaw/MFT type table even though I have both options.
Oooh...that's a good suggestion. I've used my MFT for some crosscutting things from time to time in the past. With stops, it can even be repeatable sized materials.

Edwin Santos
12-13-2018, 7:07 PM

Second vote on this suggestion. He can always upgrade from a track saw to a table saw. The thing is, a table saw is very space intensive, especially if the intention is to cut sheet goods. Just think about the infeed and outfeed space required in addition to the footprint of the saw itself. The MFT type table idea is very good. Have a look at this video where the author demonstrates how to make a crosscutting table for use with a track saw: https://www.finewoodworking.com/2016/06/01/tracksaw-crosscut-table

This exact jig may not be the right answer, but maybe a version of this type of jig can be fashioned for your son's most repetitive cuts? Also, you can certainly cut the smaller widths to the waste side, keeping in mind the saw blade kerf width. Again, if it's a repetitive cut, he could make a precise spacer for waste side cutting to quickly mark the line or set the track.

No doubt this will be more tedious than using a table saw but the track saw is a portable tool by design, and if he's organized, he could do all his cutting at one time, say for the week, and then put the track saw out of the way of the sign making. The track saw dust collection is a plus too.

You're a good father!
Best,
Edwin

andy bessette
12-13-2018, 8:16 PM
...a table saw is very space intensive...

And a vertical panel saw is the least (floor) space intensive while in use.

Van Huskey
12-13-2018, 8:50 PM
IME panel saws vary a lot in their accuracy and repeatability, based loosely on price, a DIY version could fall anywhere on that range depending on how much effort and money were spent on them. That said I think it is the worst choice for a single option to break down sheet goods AND make the smaller cuts, though it could be augmented with a CSMS, RAS or etc.

High-quality panel saws can often be found cheap, especially at auction since they have fallen out of favor since most commercial shops and industry now use CNC machines to handle those cuts.

Doug Garson
12-13-2018, 9:36 PM
I think a valid question is how does a track saw, table saw, panel saw, mitre saw or radial arm saw integrate with the other tools your son uses to make his signs? After he cuts the MDO panels to size, how does he process them to the final sign? What other tools does he use?

Mike Manning
12-13-2018, 10:24 PM
I think a valid question is how does a track saw, table saw, panel saw, mitre saw or radial arm saw integrate with the other tools your son uses to make his signs? After he cuts the MDO panels to size, how does he process them to the final sign? What other tools does he use?

Good question Doug. When needed he uses a jigsaw beyond that I don't know. I've never even heard him talk about using a sander. In his shop on Wed I don't recall seeing any other typical woodworking tools. His work is, I believe, mostly about the painting and designing.

Doug Garson
12-13-2018, 11:14 PM
Sounds like the only use he will make of whatever saw he buys, is to cut down the MDO to size. Makes me wonder if he would be better off sourcing the MDO from a supplier that can cut it for him or subletting the cutting. That would eliminate a lot of potential risks including: injury from handling full size sheets, injury from cutting sheets, contaminating shop with dust (hazard to lungs and end product), eliminate capital costs including the saw, dust collection equipment and associated maintenance costs, reduction in space requirements (eliminating cutting station and dust collection), maybe reduced insurance cost?

Greg Hines, MD
12-14-2018, 11:46 AM
I would suggest he start with a Track saw, and if he finds that it is not giving him the tolerances he needs, add in a table saw. As many have said, track saws do a great job of breaking down sheet goods, and with my Grizzley, I get finished edges that do not need tuning at a table saw, certainly the Festoolers will tout how good their saws are as well, but a cheap Grizzley has worked well for me.

Doc

Peter Christensen
12-14-2018, 1:04 PM
A vertical CNC router would be the best option but at the highest cost. It will allow almost any shaped cuts. At 30ish he should be able to learn the programming quickly and his hands won’t be anywhere near the cutters when it is running.

https://buildyourcnc.com/item/cnc-machine-greenLean-v1

https://tech-labs.com/products/denford-vertical-router

Note. I don’t have any CNC equipment.

Ben Rivel
12-14-2018, 4:19 PM
Yea I couldnt imagine my shop without both. They each have their place and in my work flow they are both needed.

Curt Harms
12-15-2018, 5:38 AM
As far as space, a track saw certainly seems like the way to go for 4 X 8 panels. I've never used a track saw so no experience with cutting smaller pieces with them. If he already had a track saw and processed a lot of small pieces, a table saw would not need to be a hulking behemoth with 52" table and huge outfeed tables. I have a Grizzly table saw with 27" to the right of the blade and don't find it limiting often at all. Anything 24" or bigger can easily be cut with the track saw.

Prashun Patel
12-15-2018, 8:13 AM
Table saws beat track saws for speed and repeatability and cutting small parts.

Track saws beat table saws on space usage, and breaking down large sheet goods.

I would go with the track for now. Many people eventually get both. So it’s not a waste to own one or the other first.

Greg Parrish
12-15-2018, 8:40 AM
I’ve got a nice PM66 restored table saw that I use with most every project but finally got tired of wrestling full sheets of plywood through it. Initially I took my 12v Milwaukee cordless saw and did a close cut and then ran through the table saw for a clean up cut to size. But that gets old too, so a month or so ago while shopping at the BORG, they had the Makita 36v track saws and spare track on the clearance end cap. When first looking they had the saw marked $400 which seemed ok but not great. I waited a week and came back. The track was all gone but the two saws left were marked $250. I snatched one and ordered two pieces of track off amazon. I’m looking forward to my next plywood project to give it a try. My thinking is also that both have their place.

Jim Dwight
12-15-2018, 3:38 PM
Definitely, without question your son needs a track saw, not a table saw. I recently got a SawStop. My shop is 14x24 so I don't really have room to manipulate 4x8 sheets through the saw so I got a 36 inch rip capacity saw which is working out well. To break down the sheets, I put them on a piece of 1 inch foam on top of my Paulk inspired workbench which is also the table saw outfeed support. Out comes the DeWalt and the cuts are made. I hook it to a Rigid shop vac using a Bosch 5 meter hose and very little dust escapes. I have all three tracks DeWalt offers. When shopping for a track saw, you have to consider the track as well as the saw. I got the DeWalt because their long track was less expensive. I think the Makita is a good deal too but their long track is pricey.

The reason I say definitely the track saw is it will always be useful and it involves the least investment. I am using my shop vac on the SawStop right now but it really needs a DC. That is another major investment both in dollars and space. I would not want to give up my table saw (actually I have three but the SawStop is the only full size saw). But I could certainly get by with only the track saw for cutting sheet goods to size, regardless of dimensions. Littler pieces are easier on the table saw but the track saw will do it. They cut reliably where you put the track. Doesn't matter the size of the piece although you may want to put some scrap out to hold up the track when making little cuts.

As an illustration of my comment that they are always useful, I am making a chest of drawers right now. I glued the top on last night but when I dry fitted it I discovered the back was sticking up about 1/16 on one corner preventing the top from seating on the little stub tenons that hold it on. To trim this, all I had to do is lay the track in place, adjust the depth of cut, and trim the piece. No other tool I know of would have done this as quickly and accurately.

I agree with the other comments that he may ultimately want both but he can certainly start with a track saw, hose and shop vac and decide later how much more he wants to get. If he has a workbench, a foam board for he top when he is making cuts is the only other equipment he needs. A setup with all three tracks, the vacuum and hose should be well under $1000.

Ken Kortge
12-15-2018, 6:21 PM
I don't have this system, but it might give you some ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4O9GYpMedI

I actually use many (most?) of the EZSMART tools, including the guide rails, the Universal Edge Guide, and the EZ-One Woodworking Center. They work as well for me as shown in the videos. For cutting strips of MDF or similar paneling you could use the Universal Edge Guide to quickly, safely, and repeatedly cut strips from a few inches up to 24" on a sacrificial surface (bench or foam), and then either use a (sliding) miter saw to chop them to length, or, for me, I use my EZ-One for that. The EZ-One provides a unique system for safe & repeatable panel cutting.

Handling full 4x8 sheets on the EZ-One is a handful, so when possible I still cut down full sheets using a guide rail.

Chris Parks
12-15-2018, 6:43 PM
Making a living is hard enough but wasting production time trying to do it is totally stupid and what works for a hobby does not necessarily translate to making the most of available productive hours. Track saws waste time in set up etc and are damned hard to get repeatable results from and that is if the cuts come out square. A vertical panel saw will cut numerous sheets while the track saw is being set up and they aren't super hard to build either.

Larry Foster
12-25-2018, 6:45 PM
I actually use many (most?) of the EZSMART tools, including the guide rails, the Universal Edge Guide, and the EZ-One Woodworking Center. They work as well for me as shown in the videos. For cutting strips of MDF or similar paneling you could use the Universal Edge Guide to quickly, safely, and repeatedly cut strips from a few inches up to 24" on a sacrificial surface (bench or foam), and then either use a (sliding) miter saw to chop them to length, or, for me, I use my EZ-One for that. The EZ-One provides a unique system for safe & repeatable panel cutting.

Handling full 4x8 sheets on the EZ-One is a handful, so when possible I still cut down full sheets using a guide rail.

I just received mine and it's still in the box. :eek:
I also picked up their universal edge guide to replace my Kreg Rip cut.

Hopefully, I get into the shop this week and give them a whirl.

I watched a ton of their videos on YouTube and, to this novice, this seems like a great system.
I've been looking at making a panel saw one of these days

Mike Cutler
12-25-2018, 8:51 PM
Making a living is hard enough but wasting production time trying to do it is totally stupid and what works for a hobby does not necessarily translate to making the most of available productive hours. Track saws waste time in set up etc and are damned hard to get repeatable results from and that is if the cuts come out square. A vertical panel saw will cut numerous sheets while the track saw is being set up and they aren't super hard to build either.

Interesting.
37 responses and only 4 of them advocate a panel saw.
Has a track saw really taken the place of a panel saw? I find that difficult to believe, and I own two versions of track saws.

andy bessette
12-25-2018, 9:28 PM
...Has a track saw really taken the place of a panel saw?...

No. A panel saw is much faster for breaking down sheet goods, and takes up much less space (in use) than a track saw setup.

Larry Foster
12-25-2018, 9:40 PM
One of the things that attracted me to EZSmart was the ability to cut panels vertically.
Safely.

Because of how small my shop is that is a real benefit to me.

Jim Becker
12-26-2018, 9:25 AM
Interesting.
37 responses and only 4 of them advocate a panel saw.
Has a track saw really taken the place of a panel saw? I find that difficult to believe, and I own two versions of track saws.
Aside from the lack of general awareness of panel saws by a lot of folks, the lack of space in the subject worker's space may also have entered into this, not to mention that the cost of a quality panel saw is often substantial. A track saw isn't chump change for a quality product, but it's portable and storable. The singular issue with the track saw for the intended application is when the size of the sign panels gets small. Hence, the recommendation from some of us for a small, quality table saw to compliment the track saw. The latter breaks down the big sheets and the former deals with the small panels without taking up much space.

Carl Beckett
12-26-2018, 10:26 AM
No miter saw? I personally would go to the miter saw for the smaller cutoffs. The panel saw is a nice space saving option and could do both, so I like that.

But expensive. (track and panel saws are not cheap!)

I would suggest a smaller used miter saw. A regular corded circ saw with appropriate blade and straight edge guide. Or honestly, just get a corded circ saw and speed square for trimming the smaller stuff. It is not clear (to me) that high precision is needed to make signs. (excuse my ignorance)

That would work, and may be the most economical and space saving given I am assuming he isnt rolling in $$ so some practical consideration for budget is needed....

Budget no object, I am still with the panel saw camp.

Mike Cutler
12-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Jim

I have the Festool system and the EZ system, and to cut up plywood takes quite a bit of space with either of them.
Space is always an issue though, no matter which direction anyone tries to go.

Mike Cutler
12-26-2018, 12:27 PM
One of the things that attracted me to EZSmart was the ability to cut panels vertically.
Safely.

Because of how small my shop is that is a real benefit to me.

Larry, Is it possible to see a photo of your setup? I have the EZ Smart guide rails and baseplates and I also have the Festool guides and TS75 saw. I don't do a lot of work with sheetgoods, but I find it clumsy putting together a cutting table, with foam board, to use my tracksaws. Doing it on the ground just plain hurts my knees.
I know that if I had to do a lot of sheet good work, I'd have invested in a panel saw, but I'd like to see your setup if possible for the occasional times I do work with plywood.
Thank you
Mike

Larry Foster
12-26-2018, 1:30 PM
Mike, I wish I could show you a photo.
My EZSmart stuff is still in the box.
(Also, still trying to set up my shop and wiggle every little inch of floor space)

My concept is to make a vertical cutting table.
That way I can put a sheet of plywood on horizontally and rip or crosscut.

I bought the 118" track so I can rip.

I don't know if that helps or not.

Jim Becker
12-26-2018, 1:41 PM
Larry, you're going to need to figure out how you're going to keep the saw steady and unencumbered on the track for both horizontal and vertical cuts. Panel saws have that handled by how the "business end" is integrated into the guide system in an "unremovable" way. Even a minor deviation will affect the cut quality. I don't recall if the EZ system has the saw "captive" to the track or not.

Larry Foster
12-26-2018, 1:59 PM
At least from the YouTube videos, it looks like their base mounts on the track to hold it steady.

Hoping tomorrow (or, possibly, later today to get out there and open the boxes and get the saw mounted on the base.

I can't (quickly) find the video to link to him demoing ripping vertically.

I'll see if I can find it and post.

Jim Morgan
12-26-2018, 5:43 PM
At least from the YouTube videos, it looks like their base mounts on the [EZ] track to hold it steady.

Not on the original EZ track/base system. Perhaps Dino came up with a new design.

Larry Foster
12-26-2018, 6:22 PM
Let you know tonight or tomorrow

Larry Foster
12-26-2018, 8:46 PM
I don't know if this clarifies, but here is a pic of the saw base on the track.

andy bessette
12-26-2018, 8:52 PM

That's no good at all for vertical cuts.

Jim Morgan
12-26-2018, 9:01 PM

Yeah, the base interlocks with the rail so it is held steady for cutting in the normal horizontal orientation. But if you tilt the rail 90° either way as you would for cutting like a vertical panel saw, there is nothing mechanical holding the saw on the rail.

Larry Foster
12-26-2018, 9:45 PM
In no way am I disputing anything you say.

I am a novice and defer to your knowledge and experience.

The track is held on to the board with clamps in the video I saw.
Wish I could find it

Larry Foster
12-26-2018, 10:42 PM
I may have misspoke.I'll blame it on being a senile blond with ADHD.

This may have been what I thought I saw for ripping with the sheet standing up.

https://youtu.be/bFziH_ymiOM?list=PL7fj2ghwX6lQx1Y4gzfTMkSZSeua4ZXj 6

This uses their universal edge guide.

In principle, it works a little like the Kreg Rip Cut.
I have that and my results could be better.

Hopefully, I get better results with this

Jim Becker
12-27-2018, 8:36 AM
James answered the question I had...it's not about the track to the material...it's about the saw to the track. A small amount of tilt from horizontal would likely be tolerable, but not something at a high angle like a panel saw would be configured.

Wendell Terrell
12-27-2018, 4:44 PM
I have the UEG and use it with a vertical cutting table made of simple 1x2's that is hinged to the wall, it folds out at a 30 degree slope (I found that to be the best angle to use) and locks with outriggers for use and then folds flat for storage. The saw is attached to the base which is attached to the 2 vertical arms that are in turn attached to the guide bar. There is a fin on the base that is allined with the saw kerf, it prevents kickback and keeps the kerf open. Best of all, the cuts are clean with no tearout. In use, the cut distance is set on the arms and the guide bar is set on the top edge of the panel and the UEG is pushed along using one hand on the saw and the other to steady the guide bar. It works great.

Dan Hahr
12-27-2018, 4:45 PM
I can’t see how any woodworking shop would not have need of or at least make good use of a good cabinet saw. As far as breaking down sheet goods: using the edge of another sheet, and two clamps, I just run a $50 Skil saw down the square edge, slightly oversized in case I get some burning. The cabinet saw will clean it up nicely.
Dan

Van Huskey
12-27-2018, 5:16 PM
I can’t see how any woodworking shop would not have need of or at least make good use of a good cabinet saw. As far as breaking down sheet goods: using the edge of another sheet, and two clamps, I just run a $50 Skil saw down the square edge, slightly oversized in case I get some burning. The cabinet saw will clean it up nicely.
Dan

If only all sheet good had perfectly straight edges.

Dan Hahr
12-27-2018, 5:53 PM
Yeah...I find a straight one and keep it around...1/2" MDF is usually pretty easy to use. But for rough cutting, they're all plenty close enough. I cut my cabinet grade stuff 1/4" over so I can clean up both edges.

Dan

andy bessette
12-27-2018, 6:19 PM
... I cut my cabinet grade stuff 1/4" over so I can clean up both edges...

With the Festool track saw there is no need to cleanup edges as they are chip free and ready for gluing.

Ben Rivel
12-27-2018, 6:30 PM
With the Festool track saw there is no need to cleanup edges as they are chip free and ready for gluing.
Been my experience as well.

Jim Becker
12-27-2018, 7:26 PM
I can’t see how any woodworking shop would not have need of or at least make good use of a good cabinet saw.
The worker that the OP writes about is a sign maker...the stated need is to break down sheet stock cleanly with the caveat that some panels need to be somewhat small. There is also very limited space as noted in the original post. While I personally agree (and recommended a small footprint version) that a table saw take care of the small panels (and recommended a small footprint version), a track saw allows for very precise material breakdown and doesn't take up any real shop space when not in use.

Ole Anderson
12-28-2018, 8:50 AM
I have both and they serve different purposes. Breaking down sheet goods on a TS takes a lot of space and huge out feed tables to be efficient. Track saws work well for breaking down sheet goods, but when making cabinets, I found it did work better to finish cut the material to width on the TS to get consistent widths on the cab sides.